GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on how difficult it is to replace tie rod ends. I also got the adjustable sleeves. My experience level...I can replace water pumps, brake boosters etc. Never done an engine or tranny. Think i can handle it? I am guessing it also needs to be aligned afterwards... do I need any special tools ? any tips would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to reduce the hassle, I would call the place you're going to take it to for the alignment and ask them what they would charge you to swap them out if you bring the parts in. I wouldn't think they would charge much for that. But either way, you shouldn't have any problems doing it yourself. Refer to this site for guidance, http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60252 It's got some pretty good info to get you started.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Another helpful tool after you do the install, is the Stanley alingment tool.
Get two tape measures (stanley) (doesn't matter) And use a common tread on both tires. run one tape from front of tire to the other front of tire, then run one tape on the back side ,as high up as you can,. Make them match, or a hair of toe in. If it doesn't pull, you can go later to the alingment shop.(Match the same tread on both tapes) If there is an easier way, let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stanley idea I like that...

as far as getting a tie rod puller. I have a ball joint seperator, think that would suffice instead of going and renting the puller?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Like dad use to say, there's only one way to find out. If it don't , you can always put it back together and have someone else do it. See if you can get it to loosen up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
as far as getting a tie rod puller. I have a ball joint seperator, think that would suffice instead of going and renting the puller?
Yes, but you might get lucky and be able to tap it with a hammer and it will pop out. Just make sure you run a nut onto the end of the threads to keep it from flying out or mushrooming the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts