GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im confused i read the laws and it says 35% all the way around and then i talked to my local tint shop and they said the rear window in a pickup u can go as dark as u want. Does any one know the laws.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I would go with what you read, or better yet call the local state police barracks and ask them. I do that when I have a legal question regarding vehicles.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Here in Canada the Police like to see a Silhouette regardless of tint laws. If you we're a Hwy Patrol officer would you aproach a car that you couldn't at lest count heads in? Its not a good start and it usually gives them a reason to be P.O.'d before they get to your window. Mull that over for a bit. Hell I'd undo my holster too if it was dark out...

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
I'd stick with 35%, less chance of a ticket.

On a side note if you take the vehicle out of state review the laws in the states you travel through. A few years back I traveled from Georgia to California for a visit. While in Ca. I was stopped because my tint was to dark, I informed the CHP officer that in Georgia the tint was legal, he in turn informed me that I had better take a geography class if I thought I was still in Georgia. In Ca. the tint was illegal and a ticketable offense. I thought I'd get a little leeway from a judge being I was in the Military and only in Ca. for a short visit so I took it to court, he too told me he didnt care how they did it in Georgia and fined me $145. The judge explained to me a vehicle operator is responsible for ensuring the vehicle is configured and operated in accordance with the laws of the state its being operated in no matter what the law is in the state it's registered in.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Sounds like a hard ass judge

On a side note if you take the vehicle out of state review the laws in the states you travel through. A few years back I traveled from Georgia to California for a visit. While in Ca. I was stopped because my tint was to dark, I informed the CHP officer that in Georgia the tint was legal, he in turn informed me that I had better take a geography class if I thought I was still in Georgia. In Ca. the tint was illegal and a ticketable offense. I thought I'd get a little leeway from a judge being I was in the Military and only in Ca. for a short visit so I took it to court, he too told me he didnt care how they did it in Georgia and fined me $145. The judge explained to me a vehicle operator is responsible for ensuring the vehicle is configured and operated in accordance with the laws of the state its being operated in no matter what the law is in the state it's registered in.
The judge has a point. Sounds like he was just looking to make an example of you.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
That's because you're paranoid. I've told you before those pink rabbits are not going to kill you.:tongue:
But they are out to get ME. I’ve seen them with those little paws on their HAIR TRIGGERS.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

Thats just bloody miserable. So what if I come to CA. nice. A fine would be lovely, not even being from the US. What a bunch of grumpy farts. I can think of worse things to do on the roads than a bloody tint job. :no:

·
Registered
233 Posts
but in california dont you also need like a 3" seat belt or something
and like some CAI's are even illegal??
What I dont understand is that its illegal to have a Ford GT in Canada without the ugly back bumper but, someone can come here with a us version and stay for a week or two and thats ok? even months?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is all about revenue. Just about every time I have been stopped by the POOOlice, it is for something trivial. They just want the money. You need to see this 45 mph speed limit they have here in AZ. It is brand new, three lanes in each direction with turn lnaes in the middle and an 8 foot tall block walls to reduce noise in the residential area minimally bordering this road.
I have been driving it for 25 years except that it used to be 45 mph with one lane in each direction and no sound walls. AND there are NO kids.
it is strictly a revenue generator.

With that said, please realize that certain tints on the rear window of a truck will result in difficulty in seeing out the window when backing up or changing lanes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The tint on my Cavalier is so dark that it's hard to see out of at night. My wife literally has to get out, look over the vehicle and get back in to back-up. It's got to be 50% tint or greater.

Now, the plus side is that's it's really good tint for keeping the sun out down here on these hot days. It's going to be 104F here today.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
The tint on my Cavalier is so dark that it's hard to see out of at night. My wife literally has to get out, look over the vehicle and get back in to back-up. It's got to be 50% tint or greater.

Now, the plus side is that's it's really good tint for keeping the sun out down here on these hot days. It's going to be 104F here today.
Ditto. On my grandparents old Dodge Ram 15-passenger, all the windows were tinted very dark, and you couldn't see out of the back window to save your life at night. And that was a HUGE van...I don't know how peopel that drove it did it. I was going to go with dark tint on my rear windows, but when I thought of their van, I decided against it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts