GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like lots of you guys my Suburban sits in the driveway most of the time. It gets maybe 1k miles a year tops.
So last weekend I take her out to stretch her legs, when I notice a bit of a wobble in the steering wheel.
hmmmmm. I think. Have to look into that.
I make a stop at a friends new sandwich shop, visit there for about 30 minutes.
Get back in the truck get about a 1/4 mile away and it soon becomes obvious a front tire is losing air quickly.
I immediately pull over.
Beyond the tire loosing it's bead on the wheel, I can't see any reason for the air loss.

I take the tire/wheel over to the local tire joint. He says no good and not repairable.
This small crack is the culprit.
IMG_0296.jpg
In an otherwise perfectly good tire.
IMG_0297.jpg

Now get out the tissue because here comes the sad part....
I get the news the Mud-Terrain is discontinued. I can get the All-Terrain, but it has a different tread pattern.
And because I'm running the 35x12.5 16.5 I dont' have many options for a new set of tires to fit the wheels.

Discount Tire tells me for the cost of the tires, I can get a new set of wheels and tires.

Any of you nice folks have a Goodrich Mud-Terrain 35x12.5 16.5 sitting around?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Honestly, you're better off just getting new wheels and tires. If you're only putting 1000 miles on your truck those tires are gonna dry rot quickly, causing that little gash in the tire.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know trying to find a used tire to squeeze some more time out of this set is kicking the can down the road. I checked craigslist, and there was an ad for someone looking for the exact same tire!

At some point, I'll have to bite the bullet and switch wheel size.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know trying to find a used tire to squeeze some more time out of this set is kicking the can down the road. I checked craigslist, and there was an ad for someone looking for the exact same tire!

At some point, I'll have to bite the bullet and switch wheel size.
So sell him your good three and get some cash to help for new wheels and rims on yours

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no solution to your dillemma. Good looking rig though.
You aren't really getting 5mpg are you? :)
No. Last time I checked it, it was 12(ish). And thanks.

So sell him your good three and get some cash to help for new wheels and rims on yours
I had considered pointing out to him how hopeless it was, then offering to take his off his hands.:great:

I'm looking at a few alternatives in the 215 75 16 range at TireRack. Trying to settle on wheels. Usually a brightwork kind of guy, but I'm looking at these.
uni297.b.ang.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
I like 'em. Tape the rim and paint the centers body color.

I had the 16.5's on the van and ended up switching over to 16's, just for the convenience. We drive it a lot more than 1k/yr, and run LT tires at 56psi.

Good luck,

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Bite the bullet and get new wheels and tires. I'd go with a 17" wheel because even 16" tires are getting far and few.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local Les Schwab had this used set of 33 Toyo mts on 20' wheels.
I would really have liked to keep 35's but the deal was simply too good to pass up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Damn! Thats what I'm talkin about. Good score.

·
Registered
830 Posts
those wheels look pretty good on your rig, but I would drive that beast more than 1k a year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts