GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a question got a 2011 chev 1500 4x4 short box i put 20" metal malisha rims with 33's and new gm sensors my dealer is trying to tell me that mu sensors wont work cause of my rims since when does the sensor know what size rim its in i had no issues with my 08 duramax when i went bigger my buddy who did the last sensor progaming for me doesnt work for gm anymore could it be they dont know how to do it any ideas guys thanks

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Sounds false to me. I have an 08 and switched to Ballistic 20 inch rims. The shop that installed them switched my stock sensors from my stock rims over to my new ones. After a couple hundred miles one of the sensors went bad, but the rim shop replaced it free of charge.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
As Bobby said sounds false, I know lots of people who switched there factory rims for larger rims and had no issues with the sensors.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wheel size has nothing to do with the sensor. Any GM Dealership should be able to reprogram your TPMS. I just reprogrammed a 2500HD with Aftermarket wheels the other day at work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
got a question got a 2011 chev 1500 4x4 short box i put 20" metal malisha rims with 33's and new gm sensors my dealer is trying to tell me that mu sensors wont work cause of my rims since when does the sensor know what size rim its in i had no issues with my 08 duramax when i went bigger my buddy who did the last sensor progaming for me doesnt work for gm anymore could it be they dont know how to do it any ideas guys thanks
No sensor knows what size your tires are - they dont care what size your tires are...they only know and care about how much air you have in the tire. If my dealer told me that line of Bull I would never buy a truck there again.

Your shop that did the new tires and rims should be able to take the sensors off your stock rims and put them on the new ones...then the sensors need to reprogrammed. Most tire shops have a scanner to do the re-learning of the sensors....if they dont I wouldnt deal with that shop anymore either!

Any shop who sells tires and wheels but cant complete the entire package because the cant re-learn the customers TPMS is just cheap!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Only main issue when changing wheel size is "will the sensors mount correctly in the new rims?". If they do not mount correctly, then you need to replace them with ones that do. As far as programming the sensors they do not program! The trucks computer needs to talk to them by their ID number already recorded in the sensors. The computer in the vehicle will talk to any sensor that talks at the same frequency and data structure. The information available on most sensors is Air Pressure, Temperature, ID # and battery life remaining. Some aftermarket sensors ARE programmable with new ID#'s. The sensor also needs to be mounted to the right valve stem for those rims.

Hope that sheds some light on your sensor issue. The dealer probably wasn't asked the right question!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Only main issue when changing wheel size is "will the sensors mount correctly in the new rims?". If they do not mount correctly, then you need to replace them with ones that do. As far as programming the sensors they do not program! The trucks computer needs to talk to them by their ID number already recorded in the sensors. The computer in the vehicle will talk to any sensor that talks at the same frequency and data structure. The information available on most sensors is Air Pressure, Temperature, ID # and battery life remaining. Some aftermarket sensors ARE programmable with new ID#'s. The sensor also needs to be mounted to the right valve stem for those rims.

Hope that sheds some light on your sensor issue. The dealer probably wasn't asked the right question!
the sensors themselves can't be programmed per se..but the new sensors erik need to be re learned for position and the compute can be told what the new tire pressure is if your new tires have a higher recommended air pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this isnt my first kick at this can we did my 08 no problem but my dealer of where i have bought 4 new trucks in the last year is trying to tell me that the gm sensors in some rims cant be read by computer due to the way they sit in the rim and therefore cant be re programed they tried for 2 hrs now i know they did work on this due to the fact my wife works there and is always keeping an eye on my trucks when there in for service .now you must remember i do live in canada and not all dealers are equipt or have any knowledge of aftermarket things .it just seems strange that when my buddy worked there he always could figure things out when it came to changing items on my trucks as not one of them is stock (except my cube van) so im figuring they just dont have a clue i want to know is this true that on some rims the sensor cant be read thanks

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The other day one of my sensor's must have gone out because on my dash it's reading Right Front Tire Pressure Low when i already aired all my tire's up the same too see if it was the problem. This didn't work it still has that reading after i did it a few times do you guys think the sensor went out or what is the deal lol?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
this isnt my first kick at this can we did my 08 no problem but my dealer of where i have bought 4 new trucks in the last year is trying to tell me that the gm sensors in some rims cant be read by computer due to the way they sit in the rim and therefore cant be re programed they tried for 2 hrs now i know they did work on this due to the fact my wife works there and is always keeping an eye on my trucks when there in for service .now you must remember i do live in canada and not all dealers are equipt or have any knowledge of aftermarket things .it just seems strange that when my buddy worked there he always could figure things out when it came to changing items on my trucks as not one of them is stock (except my cube van) so im figuring they just dont have a clue i want to know is this true that on some rims the sensor cant be read thanks
Maybe you need a bigger can :)

Is it all of the sensors that cant be read or just some? Last time I got new tires one of my sensors stopped talking to the computer...coupldnt get it to relearn etc... so naturally we thought a bad sensor so we replaced it. It worked for about 2 hours then quit! Took it to the dealer and they got it to work again....on the way home it quit and displayed -- in the DIC on all 4 tires!

Went back to the tire shop and started doing the tires one by one(mounting them then seeing if the sensor could be read)...come to find out I had another bad sensor...so all in all I had 2 bad ones.

Once I replaced the second bad sensor they all worked just fine.

Since this is a 2011 its rare to have a bad sensor, however, I have been told they can be damaged removing them and or when they tire is mounted to the wheel if the installer is not careful.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The other day one of my sensor's must have gone out because on my dash it's reading Right Front Tire Pressure Low when i already aired all my tire's up the same too see if it was the problem. This didn't work it still has that reading after i did it a few times do you guys think the sensor went out or what is the deal lol??

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The other day one of my sensor's must have gone out because on my dash it's reading Right Front Tire Pressure Low when i already aired all my tire's up the same too see if it was the problem. This didn't work it still has that reading after i did it a few times do you guys think the sensor went out or what is the deal lol??
Whats the pressure in the tires compared to the tire pressure on the tag on the drivers door jam.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i have no clue does it still go with it if i have 33 13.50 Copper Stt's?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Also i have a torn boot on my truck it's not the lower boot's connected to the tire it's the one above them what would that be man?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Man, mine did the same thing a little while after I got my new rims and tires. It turned out to be a bad sensor that the rim store replaced for free. Check your tire pressure in that tire and see if it is close to what is on the door. It does not matter what size tire you have, the sensor is just looking for that same pressure. If it is way off try getting it close to what is printed on your door and see if that fixes the light, if not I would try taking it back to the place that swapped the sensors and see if they will replace it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe you need a bigger can :)

I have been told they can be damaged removing them and or when they tire is mounted to the wheel if the installer is not careful.
They are very delicate and dont like to be dropped or hit by the bead when reinstalling the sensors.

I dont believe that they cannot be read due to the rim construction. Find someone with a better set of diagnostic tools to check the sensors while mounted. I have my own tools and if it can read the sensors, then so can you trucks computer!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well somehow my tire's how way too much in them they have 42psi? The door say's 35psi so hopefully that's what's wrong..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
actually your wrong there i did my 08 2500 hd with a bigger rim and tire and the pressure that was called for on door was totally different then what the tire said so my buddy programed it to accept that tire pressure which on the 08 was easly done .but on my 11 you cant do it that way .you used to be able to go threw the remote fob but on 11s you cant .i put on metal malisha rims on my 11 and there not reading .i dont drive the truck much as its just my weekend toy and if its nice out id rather ride my harley then the truck so i havnt done much since i posted this thread.im going to get new sensors and install those and try again and hope its just a bad sensor

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here, let me explain this again. If the "Low Tire" Light is on, then you have low tire pressures in one or more of you tires. This could be than you have let's say 40psi in 3 tires, and one at 30psi. A drastic change in pressures WILL set it off.

If it's "Service Tire Monitor System", then you either have a bad Tire Sensor (Either broken or INOP), or you need to have them relearned to the vehicle. If it's "Service Tire Monitor System", the low tire light will also be on. Your best bet, is to take it to a local GM Dealer. You CAN relearn sensors that have been transferred over from GM Wheels, to Aftermarket wheels. I've done it personally. Infact, I've relearned and reprogrammed sensors on ton's of after market wheels. We (GM Dealers) can do it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ha it ended up being One tire sensor went out and had to replace it and the whole problem was resolved. The one sensor was throwing the rest of the tires off being that's what i thought before and i was right. The sensor's aren't cheap though and when i got that done i also had a tire go flat had a nail in there but this wasn't messing with the tire sensor being it went flat at night!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts