GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an 06 Suburban 2500 4x4 8.1L with a 4:10 rear end. I pull a 6500 lbs travel trailer with it. Before this Suburban I had two others with the 3:73 rear end. With those on long grades they’d have to come out of overdrive. With this one I can pull long grades just fine in overdrive and it doesn’t do the annoying shift down constantly like the 3:73s did. But I’m do for tires soon and was thinking about upsizing from the recommended 245/75R16 to 265/75R16. I know that by upsizing I’m going to reduce the torque. Has anyone done this and noticed a difference with the tow? I don’t want to upsize then get stuck with the constant down shifting on grades again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
@Jaercole I don’t think going from a 245 to a 265 is gonna cut your torque that much. I’m running 315s, and you lose less torque thru that 4l85e than I do thru the Allison with the big block. My truck doesn’t care. One thing I wish I’d done would be get it tuned. That’ll give you the torque back and reset your speedo for the tire size increase.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Heres a tire size calculator that I use to help me figure out tires.

Al

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Actually those are the same tires I have on my burb there is only a 3.9% difference, meaning they travel 3.9% further than oem, so at 65 your actually going 67.5. So I conclude that the difference is so small and under 5% that this size is absolutely fine. I bought a set of bridgstone dueller A/Ts that I though were oem size but I was wrong. It turned out just fine though and I really like them.

Side by side the 265's would be apx. 1.25" taller.

I always check vehicles speed with a gps app just to see where it actually sits, my work truck was actually slower than the speedo said. That's good info to know....

Al

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I learned by stepping up tire size just a little, was that it made almost no difference in pulling power. Initially I went with the 265/75's, but on my most recent tire replacement I decided on something a bit different. I went for the Cooper commercial offroad tire, in size 255/85-16. First off, it's an excellent tire, very capable, very tough. Second, the size choice is likely the best move I've made.
I changed out the factory 3.73's several years ago, went to 4.10's. While my pickup has the NV4500, vs the automatic I think you have, I pull an 8500 pound fifth wheel, with few problems. I think you'd like the extra 1" plus sidewall height of the 255/85. I found no loss of stability with the increased profile.
An aside that you didn't ask for...... several transmission shop owners have told me the surest way to destroy a transmission (manual or automatic) is to tow in OD. Therefore, I don't.
My PU is a 99 K2500 with the 454.
Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
The answer is it depends... the 8.1L with the 3.73 ratio differential will notice the tire size increase more than someone with the 4.10 rear gear. Unfortunately that is what I have. It also depends on how much you are pulling. 6500lb trailer is about what I pull, sometimes more depending on how much stuff I drag along for my mobile chassis dyno business. There are many times I wish I had the 4.10 ratio instead of the 3.73 with the 265/75 tires. With the 4.10 ratio I definitely would not go taller than the 265/75's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts