GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Liberty Mutual has been running the following commercial.

Every time it comes on I cringe in disgust. Her son had to call roadside assistance to change a flat tire. Then to add insult to injury they switch over to two other guys who do not know what a lug wrench is.

This is nothing new.

Cascade has a commercial where the the husband is depicted as to ignorant to work the dishwasher.

Fabreeze depicts teenage boys as living in pig sty bedrooms oblivious to the odors of dirty laundry laying everywhere.

But getting back to the Liberty commercial.

I was changing tires before I was even old enough to get a learners permit. I do not know any guys who do not know how to change a tire and take umbrage at the depiction by these idiotic ad agencies.

IMO if you as a guy cannot change a flat tire, it is time to turn in your man card.

Rant mode off...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Not bragging, but my Dad tells me I was wrenching on a tractor carburetor when I was 3.

Sad testimony of America when kids can’t change a tire. I made all of my children change a tire before they were 10.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
@Paladin it is like we are of the same mind. I have exact same reaction to this commercial! And you are right, there are so many more. Lowes makes me cringe with their commercials showing a minor snafu with an appliance turning into buying a new one from Lowes because the husband is a man child. There are so many more depicting us as imbeciles when the fact is we are the ones running things and getting s&)t done.

As an aside, about 10 years ago a woman in a strip mall was hysterical that she had a flat tire. I offered to change it, and it took ten minutes. She watched in awestruck silence and disbelief. When I was done she kept staring and still couldn't speak, so I said, have a great day and went on my way. It was weird being treated like a superhero for something as simple as changing a tire...and a sad commentary on society. It's gotten worse. Some new cars don't even come with a spare tire!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you Beachbourbon.

I am so disgusted with this PC generation that feel bashing (real) men is almost a duty, and that is what they are doing in these commercials.

Take the Liberty commercial for instance. Why is the “father” not telling the story? The way I see it, the message here is the “son” is too stupid to change a tire so the “mother” had to make sure they signed up for roadside assistance. The fact that there is no father mentioned at all gives us the impression either there isn’t one or “he” is not intelligent enough to sign up for roadside assistance. Does mommy cut up his meat for him and wipe his nose as well?

The second part of the commercial is meant to emphasize the stupidity of men in their eyes. If you pay attention to the dialogue, the teenager says “My “Dad” says our insurance doesn’t cover that.”, implying his “father” is the one who signed up for insurance but was not smart enough to get one with roadside assistance unlike the “mother” for the other teenager.

It is obvious whoever came up with the ad took the opportunity to demean men in doing so under the guise of comedy. I found nothing funny in it at all.

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
It's not just tires and large Appliances, everything is designed to be thrown away without repair.
My wife likes to brag, to her friends, that she has never had a repairman in the house. The friends her age just smile; but the younger ones can't believe it.

Actually, the Internet has made home repair a lot easier. Last month the dishwasher stopped draining, after taking it apart and finding the problem, the Internet gave me the part numbers. I think the parts were less than $20 and the dishwasher works as good as new.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do not think it “is designed to be thrown away” inasmuch as people do not want to take the time to get things repaired.

Granted the cost of some products today is such that getting it repaired would cost as much if not more as buying a new one, for instance a toaster or low cost microwave.

However with things like washing machines, dishwashers, lawn mowers (push or ride) the cost to repair is often a fraction of a new one.

Here is a case in point. I have a Kenmore dryer that is probably 20 years old. One day while drying clothes, it began to sound like someone threw a pair of sneakers in the thing. A little research pointed to the drum roller being the culprit and a video showed it to be a relatively easy fix. I ordered the part on-line along with a tensioner and new drum belt.

When the parts arrived a couple of days later, I opened the dryer, cleaned it out, replaced the worn parts and put it back together. Total time about an hour, total cost was about $45. Some would argue I should have just replaced the dryer since it was that old. I would argue that even if only got another year of use from the thing, the $45 was still worth it. It has now been about five years since that repair and the dryer still works perfectly.

I replaced a heating element in my dishwasher for $35.

My 27-year-old riding lawnmower is still going. It is a 7-speed 24” cut MTD with B&G 16hp twin cylinder engine. To date I have only replaced the blades, 1 starter, 1 set of drive belts, 1 battery and a carburetor.

I cannot begin to calculate how much money I have saved with repair over replace.

Many people today do not even have the patience to arrange for and wait for a repair. They would rather shell out $2000 for a new riding mower than pay $200 to get their old one repaired.

The problem is we live in a society of instant gratification and a generation that has never really known what it is like to go without.

No, I did not grow up in poverty but in the same light our family was not exactly middle class either. Both my parents worked regular jobs. For extra income, my father did the occasional handyman job while my mother would sew and bake cakes. We lived modestly and fixed what we had as long as it was practical. If it had to be replaced, my parents would have saved enough money to do so without resorting to credit. This was the environment I grew up in and I consider myself blessed to have been raised in it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I remember doing my first tuneup on our ‘72 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440 at 10 years old. Each of my sons has been wrenching with me for years. No dad in the home or 2 moms is a big part of the problem. The disappearance of shop class is another problem too. My oldest boy holds the record for the fastest tire change in his high school. Mostly because they quit having that contest a couple years after he graduated due to shop class getting shut down. My second son is working in a custom shop to put himself through CNC school at NTI. My youngest will be helping me this week with a bunch of real man R&R on the Suburban. Here he is a few years ago helping me put a rebuild carb on the farm truck at 8 years old! This is the C10 his grandpa drove for 38 years that we are collecting parts for so we can restore it for his first truck when he turns 16.
217BB970-478D-4B35-B1F6-9303C1A88BB2.jpeg

I have taught my boys to work on their own stuff, work on other people’s stuff, respect women and animals, how to shoot, to always help those who can’t help themselves, visit the old or home bound , and to love their family no matter how mad you get at them! They’re turning out pretty darn good so far!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What JackE has demonstrated is how to properly raise children.

It is as simple as the three Es which I live by.

Education
Teach your children proper behavior, critical thinking and the consequences of choices.
Encouragement
Encourage your children when they make the correct choices and only reward them when they do.
Example
Be the example for your children to follow. Children are often smarter than we give them credit for. Punishing them for doing wrong when they see you doing wrong is the height of hypocrisy. They may not know the word but they understand the injustice of the act.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Paladin you only have to watch the nightly news to see why commercials of this type are popular. Our society has become a "call someone to come magically solve my problem for me" type world. People are to ignorant, lazy, underskilled, unimaginative, or just plain stupid to solve problems they get themselves into.
I work a few nights a week as an instructor at a local community college teaching automobile fabrication classes, most of the kids want to learn, but unfortunately many of them are enrolled in my class without the basic knowledge of how to change oil, tires, or do a tune-up. We have had to insist they attend a basic automotive course instructing these type items before allowing them to enroll in my class.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My normally frugal mother in law had her washing machine stop working and was preparing to buy a new one. The machine was 6 years old and gently used by one person. I asked about it and knew it was the drain pump. The part was 129.00 but changed out easily and the washer was good as new in no time. If she called a "repairman" the bill would have been $600, so why not get a new one?

The other thing is that people don't read the manual a take care of what they have! Her pump woul have lasted years longer if she cleaned out the drain pump filter once in awhile! People have smart phones that can do all this stuff they don't need but can't be bothered to be smart themselve.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The picture of the young boy on the motor is one of the best pictures ive seen in a long time. That's good stuff right there!
I couldn't agree with you guys more.

Heres one that pisses me off.
Those commercials where the "Dad" is nervous about backing his car or truck into a spot,.. until he is told the vehicle has automatic backer inner capabilities. Then he just lets the vehicle do the backing in for him,.. he gets out all smiles and proud of the good job he didn't (cant) do.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work a few nights a week as an instructor at a local community college teaching automobile fabrication classes, most of the kids want to learn, but unfortunately many of them are enrolled in my class without the basic knowledge of how to change oil, tires, or do a tune-up. We have had to insist they attend a basic automotive course instructing these type items before allowing them to enroll in my class.
I know where you are coming from.

From what I understand drivers ed does not even teach these basic skills. Learning to drive should require basic skills in automotive care, how to change a tire, check tire wear, check the fluids, check the condition of the fan belt and radiator hoses. Simple things that can prevent you from being stuck on the side of the road late one night.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
hey.... i fix n repair everything and i teach my 6 children the same... not just the boys but the girls as well.... it goes both ways.... all my kids can cook n clean up after themselves. but we may have a bit of different family life than most. we completely restarted our lives so that our lives was more like life was 100 years ago. we moved to a farm so we could grow our own food etc... before that a decision was made to not let someone else raise our kids... one of us was working to pay for child care, i became a stay at home dad while my wife went to school.... fast forward 8 years later. pretty much everything we do revolves around our kids. we pulled them out of the public school system and began homschooling about 3 years ago. now we can learn and do anything we want... my kids are not scared to get thier hands dirty and are constantly coming up with great ideas to complex problems. i think todays world is the problem with society....

Al

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That's awesome Al! I grew up that way too. I'm a couple years away from my first retirement and at that point plan on becoming Mr. Mom to our last son. His last 4 years of schooling will be with me teaching him what I neglected to teach his siblings. He's the one in the pic, and can't wait to get going on his truck! With all the problems I have found with my Suburban, he'll get some great experience to use on his own projects. At 11, he got involved in butchering our cow this past winter. He has a new respect for the meat on the table now. He even took it upon himself this spring to get enrolled into hunters safety course, and passed it, so he can start hunting this fall. At 9, he won a sharp shooter contest put on by the local NRA chapter. He opens doors for the ladies, carry's heave things for his grandma, and he'll go out of his way to help little old lady load her groceries into her car in the parking lot at food town. It's pretty awesome to see your kids growing up to not be "that guy" in the commercials! My older boys were both driving their own off road rigs by the time they were 14, doing some serious rock crawling! My oldest is now a street cop, my middle son just took a second job cleaning toilets at a grocery store to put himself through CNC school. Real men grow up in my house, not that liberal panty waste you see in the millennial generation!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I’m also tired of retirement and “wealth management” commercials that treat us like we are stupid. Somehow we were all smart enough to acquire something, but now we need to give it all to you to manage because we are too stupid? No thanks. I might call you if i need help due to alzheimers, then again i might forget!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I might call you if i need help due to alzheimers, then again i might forget!
I was talking to an old guy with Alzheimer's once. He said he was planning to take his life so his family didn't have to deal with it. His dilemma was that he wanted to wait long enough to enjoy his family as much as possible, but not wait too long that he forgot to do it! I got a good chuckle until I realized that he was serious.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is it with insurance companies?

Just saw another one. This time it was a USAA commercial. Both the husband and wife were in the military. The wife smiles as she says she outranked her husband in the military..., and at home too. The statement has nothing to do with buying insurance.

It also reminds me of the insurance commercial where the couple receives a refund check for not having any claims. The wife pinches her husband's love handles as she says "To bad they don't have the same gym for memberships." Can you imagine the uproar from the femi-nazi movement if those rolls were reversed and he made a comment like that to her?

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
Ant insurance that advertises cash back for no accidents or that they will not raise rates for an accident means that they set the rate as if you already had your first accident even before you have it. So if you never have that first accident you get to pay for it forever.

Then they make it sound like such a rare thing for someone to go 6 months or a year without a crash. I am closing in an 2 million miles crash free.

Sorry, pet peve.......

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
What is it with insurance companies?

Just saw another one. This time it was a USAA commercial. Both the husband and wife were in the military. The wife smiles as she says she outranked her husband in the military..., and at home too. The statement has nothing to do with buying insurance.

It also reminds me of the insurance commercial where the couple receives a refund check for not having any claims. The wife pinches her husband's love handles as she says "To bad they don't have the same gym for memberships." Can you imagine the uproar from the femi-nazi movement if those rolls were reversed and he made a comment like that to her?
They must believe that women buy the insurance in the household. That has not been my experience, but I'm not an insurance company marketing research dept.

Reactions: jasons99hoe
1 - 20 of 50 Posts