GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Tahoe 4x4 with 33's and a 6" lift. People tell me I need to change the gears of I decide to go with 35's. Is this true?

·
Registered
279 Posts
To get your engine to run in its "powerband" and to get optimal performance it is best to change your gears when installing larger tires.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
You probably should'a changed gears going to the 33's, but you definately need to change when going to 35's.
something in the neighborhood of 4.56 will work to restore perfomance and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks all. Looks like next year when I get new tires.. it's new gears!!!!!! yay!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it to much. What gears do you have now? I have 4:10's and im running 35's not the greatest performance but they do fine. I know alot of people with 35 and 3:73's. If you have 3:42's and you want to go to 35's I would regear if you have 3:73's I would leave them alone you will be ok. You just wont have much in the performance towing category.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Bigger tires does put more strain on the motor, front end, and axle parts and shafts. If you off road it things have a greater chance of breaking with 35's because it is more strain on the parts from the heavier tires. But if your on the street most of the times and the occasional offroad you should not have any problems to worry about. Id recommend to go for a 4.10 if you go 35's but if you already have 3.73's than dont worry too much about it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have 3:73's, but not sure. The drve train is stock so far. Besides the lift, i've only done the exhaust, cold air intake and bought the superchip to change the computer. The gearing is down the road. Thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 33's

I have 33's on my 'burban with unknown gears, the previous owner installed a new rear end with posi and forgot what ratio it was. My perfomace and milage are both pretty bad, I thought this was due to high milage-256,000 kms.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is an article in the new Truckin magazine where they replaced the ring and pinion with a 4.56 and it improved performance and mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts