GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 4wd Crew Cab.

It came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T p255/70r17 110s - Really! for a 4x4!

overall diam. 31.1 Sect height of 10.2

I WANT to put on Federal Couragia M/T 265/70/r17

overall diameter 31.9 so .8 of an inch higher.
Section is 10.7

My concern is that no shop stocks them so I would have to buy them and bring them in and I am afraid there might be a problem.

So I have to be sure they fit! and what do I do if they don't.

thanks for the help, signed worried tire buyer... lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They should fit like butter in a hot pan but if the do rub they will rub in the front and to fix that just crank your torsion bars up and get have alignment done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
And FYI thoughs tires are crap. Look at Cooper, Mastercraft, or Yokohama. Make sure they are 8ply and not 6ply.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cooper makes Mastercraft only difference is your not paying for the name brand. I had Mastercraft M/T on my 2500HD and they did excellent on road and off road and on icy/snowy roads. I had Federal on my 2002 Chevy 1500 Z71 and they did horrible. Only had them on the truck for 6months till I got stuck on wet grass literally wet grass I was so mad that I went that same day and got Yokohama tires on the truck.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts

Screenshot_20201205-103908_Firefox.jpg

It looks like you answered your own question and I'm very confused? What makes you think that they wouldn't fit when there is such a small difference. Your speedo wouldnt even be off by much, when going 60mph, you are actually going 60.06mph.

Insignificant, speedos can be up to 5mph when manufactured. I always check with a GPS to see the real speed.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 168240
It looks like you answered your own question and I'm very confused? What makes you think that they wouldn't fit when there is such a small difference. Your speedo wouldnt even be off by much, when going 60mph, you are actually going 60.06mph.

Insignificant, speedos can be up to 5mph when manufactured. I always check with a GPS to see the real speed.

Al

Because I don't know anything about tires really and I am just worried that if i bought them and they didn't fit I would be sitting on $800 of tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooper makes Mastercraft only difference is your not paying for the name brand. I had Mastercraft M/T on my 2500HD and they did excellent on road and off road and on icy/snowy roads. I had Federal on my 2002 Chevy 1500 Z71 and they did horrible. Only had them on the truck for 6months till I got stuck on wet grass literally wet grass I was so mad that I went that same day and got Yokohama tires on the truck.
Thanks, my daughter had Federals and they seemed great on her Toyota. Drove to Spokane in the middle of Dec in snow and goes off road. I am looking at Cooper and Mastercraft. I also then started looking at 255, the original size after reconsitering up sizing but there are not many MT tires in the 255/70R70 size, so I might be back at the 265.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They should fit like butter in a hot pan but if the do rub they will rub in the front and to fix that just crank your torsion bars up and get have alignment done.
Thanks, I have measured and I ( capital I ) think they will fit by my measuring but was just worried having to pick a size by myself. I don't work on trucks, I just drive them. BUT I will look into the torsion bars and I agree about the alignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And FYI thoughs tires are crap. Look at Cooper, Mastercraft, or Yokohama. Make sure they are 8ply and not 6ply.
Do you think 10 ply will ride really hard on the road? I started looking at Goodrich K02 . They are 10 ply but they say they ride pretty good. I want tough tires to go into the mountains and ice \ snow. I still have to drive this thing to work however.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do you think 10 ply will ride really hard on the road? I started looking at Goodrich K02 . They are 10 ply but they say they ride pretty good. I want tough tires to go into the mountains and ice \ snow. I still have to drive this thing to work however.
If your going on OEM rims then theirs not going to be much of a tire selction. 10ply tires I have only found 10ply tires on M/T and their not going to ride rougher at all. I use to run M/T all the time but I was constantly getting flats with them. Even had a 3/4" bolt go straight through my Mastercraft M/T. But, I now have Yokohama A/T 8ply and I've gotten a flat and I didn't even know I had a flat until my tire light was flashing with the warning ding like when your not wearing your seatbelt. I haven't gotten the chance to test them in the snow and ice but the Mastercraft M/T did fine in the snow and ice I was even haulling 36ft fifth wheel camper weighed about 8000lbs and it did just fine. I also only run OEM rims so not much a selection for me either. Goodrich is ok but I was always told to stay away from kevlar tires. My dad use to back hand me for putting bad tires on the truck and trailer learned my lesson real quick about tires.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I dont know... the most expensive tires I have ever bought was for my burb when I first got it. Bfg AT's 3 years later a belt broke in one of them.... they were the old style and not the k02's that replaced them... I couldn't find one damn replacement anywhere even though I would occasionally see them on trucks n jeeps. An honest tire shop, the owner, told me good luck... which got me wondering and thinking. These tires must be junk. I went through a lot of tire racks in a few junkyards and couldn't find a single replacement bfg at tire! I dont think I will ever buy bfg's again. I put a set of used bridestone duellers mounted on newer rims and I like them and so does the truck. I got a great deal on them too.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 4wd Crew Cab.

It came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T p255/70r17 110s - Really! for a 4x4!

overall diam. 31.1 Sect height of 10.2

I WANT to put on Federal Couragia M/T 265/70/r17

overall diameter 31.9 so .8 of an inch higher.
Section is 10.7

My concern is that no shop stocks them so I would have to buy them and bring them in and I am afraid there might be a problem.

So I have to be sure they fit! and what do I do if they don't.

thanks for the help, signed worried tire buyer... lol.
2014 GMC 4x4 came with 18's, now have 20's.
2017 GMC also replaced with 20's.
No torsion bar adjusting or anything.
NO RUB!

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
it's not the size of the rim that matters, it's the final aspect ratio of the tire. all of which can be done on the tire calculator I posted above... such a handy tool for figuring out and understanding tires sizes.

Al

Reactions: RayVoy and Alex7717

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Right you are Al, GM uses 16, 18, 20 and 22 inch wheels, they select tires so the finial size is the same for any of the wheels.
The over all diameter and the circumference is the same.
The math the tire guys use is revolutions per mile., The GM tires (for any given model) all have the same revolutions per mile.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Personally I like a smaller rim and bigger tire. If I could I would go with 15inch rims and alot bigger tire. But, in order for me to get 15inch rims I have to get smaller brakes and that just sounds like too much work. 20inch rims 😬 they wouldn't last long on my truck. So, I just stick to my 17inch steel rims. Eventually going to have to paint them black when I decide to put the truck in the body shop to get the body back in a straight line and all the dents and scratches out. So, I can sell it yeah know do a little curtisy work for the next owner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts