GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my drip rails in the bodywork resto process. I really would not want to put them back on unless I absolutely have to...but I noticed that since they have not been on I have been getting more water flowing into my truck. Mostly on the rockers...and some in the back coming in around the driver side of the tail gate a few inches in front of the tail light near the spare tire well. I also have old weather stripping in place now, so I was wondering if putting in new stripping after I paint the truck will prevent water from getting in or will I ultimately have to put the factory drip rails back in place? What say the GMTC Gurus???:glasses:

·
Registered
216 Posts
good question, I have seen guys put new weather stripping in and it be fine. Try that first

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I'd leave them on. They were put on for a reason. Without them, rain that runs off the cab of the truck can sit directly on the weatherstripping where it will eventually get past and leak into the cab.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think if I put them back on I might opt for double sided tape instead of re drilling the holes...then I can put a bead of silicone... this way they will still not be "permanent" It makes me kind of pissed that I spent all that time filling the holes and sanding....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would not those rain guards (usually smoked plastic or chrome) serve the same purpose? If so, I might put those on instead.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Those keep rain from getting in through the window when they're slightly open. The drip rails are for the actual door jamb. Take a look at the door jamb from above the side of the truck and you'll see the gasket pretty easily.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Grit, you might get away with it in Florida, but mine doesn't have drip rails & the rain puddles on top of the weather strips & when you open the door it dumps on the threshold, the rockers, the carpet, & the edge of the seat. It also dumps on me if I'm in a hurry getting out & don't give it time to run off :grrrrrr:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have also noticed when I open the door the water runs down the sides onto the rockers...and then when I shut the door I get a "shamoo" splash:happy:

I will most likely put them back on. I will drive around with the new weather stripping in place and see how it does in the rain.

Good news is I put in another five hours of body work. Another few hours (maybe 4) and I think she is ready for paint:great:

Time to order the paint!!!!! I think I am going with Hot Rod Flatz flat black. Here is a link to some of their paint:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts