GM Truck Club Forum banner

What kind of tonneau cover would you buy?

• Single piece (hard)

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • Multiple piece (hard)

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • Soft cover (with rail support)

Votes: 53 44.2%
  • Soft cover (w/out rails)

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Custom made

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don't need or want a tonneau cover

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.
That's pretty nice. I never liked the look of the arches popping through the cover. Kind of looking like ribs on some anorexic model.

·
Banned
163 Posts
For me it is a 1 piece hard tonneau. I need something to protect the bed contents from the elements and it has to lock. I prefer the looks of a painted to match fiberglass one like I had on my HEMI Ram as I think it just ads so much to the appearance of the truck...

BUT, FBG cover are very heavy and usually they can not be easily removed( some do allow the cover to come off the mounting system but most don't ). I need to be able to take my cover off when needed with minimal hassle and I want the cover to be lightweight. That is where the Undercover comes in. Very lightweight, easy to install/remove, and they are rugged. They also cost hundreds of $$$ less than a decent FBG cover which is another plus. The cover for my HEMI ran( MOPAR genuine accessories )ran me $900 and that was with a discount whereas the Undercover for my 05 Silverado cost me just $570( both covers brand new ).

They also look good too...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I had a Snugtop on my Toyota Tacoma and loved keeping things dry and locked up but was impractical at times when I needed to haul something taller than the bedrails. Mine was painted to match and looked awesome and did cost around $1k. I like the idea of rolling it up to get full use from the bed but also being able to cover the bed when needed. I helped my Father-in-law install a folding cover on his F150 but I did not like the way it mounted and when folded up it was still in the way.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That's pretty nice. I never liked the look of the arches popping through the cover. Kind of looking like ribs on some anorexic model.
Hey I had one of those ha ha ha. One of these days I'll dig up my drag racing days pictires it had a soft top. 120 mile an hour passes and never came off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally would only like one on an avalanche (the three piece hard one). They look good on some trucks but from a practical standpoint they hinder carrying large loads, and my logic is if you aren't going to carry a large load. Get a Yukon or Suburban!:biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a GM (Fold-A-Cover) tonneau cover. It's a hard cover and it can open from either end. It also folds all the way back. Pretty good cover but old style had a better locking system on it then the new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is something I just posted on another Tonneau cover post in another section, and I figure it would probably be best here so....

I am actually surprised no one has mentioned Retrax! I have one on my *please don't kill me* 2004 Ranger and my father has one on his '06 F-150 and they are GREAT! It is a sliding hard top cover. You have the durability of a hard top cover (I can stand on mine), with the accessibility of a soft top. It locks and it is 100% waterproof. It can lock at ANY place on the bed, but where the 3 clamp downs are (~2" a piece) and it looks great.

The only con is that it is pricey. ~$1000 but oh man is it worth it. I have had so many compliments about it and tons of people ask where to get them. I ordered mine straight from Retrax and installed myslef, which took only about an hour and since it is clamped down it takes very little work and is almost impossible to screw up.

I just signed a buyers agreement for an 07 Silverado LTZ today and hope to have it NLT Wednesday and that will be the second thing I put on it after the bed-liner. I have a Rhino liner in my current truck truck but haven't decided if I want to go Line-X or not for my new one.

Good luck with finding a tonneau cover you are happy with, but if you can stand to spend the $$$ I HIGHLY reccomend it. I would post a link but I just signed up to the forums and haven't read the rules yet and don't want to violate on my first post! Just google it.
I see that some of you have posted links so the Retrax manufacturer site is http://www.rolltopcover.com/ Not the prettiest site in the world, but I love the product.

EDIT: So which poll option do I choose for this???

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
This is something I just posted on another Tonneau cover post in another section, and I figure it would probably be best here so....

I see that some of you have posted links so the Retrax manufacturer site is http://www.rolltopcover.com/ Not the prettiest site in the world, but I love the product.

EDIT: So which poll option do I choose for this???
That retrax cover looks pretty cool. They should sponsor this site and I'd give them their own section in the marketplace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
NBS Tonneau

Can anybody tell me the difference between the bed on the Classic and the bed on the NBS as to why older model hard tonneaus won't fit? I mean...is it THAT big a difference? Thx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Luv/Hate

Well i had the hard fiberglass kind thats painted to match truck(low rider)i think there called.It was on the truck wen i bought it.
Cant beat the looks,it function well & it locks.
Great for items that are lower than box rails. but SUCKS for anything higher. Try puttin 2 dirt bikes in there.:grrrrrr:
Maybe i would look @ soft tonneau down the road,but never hard again!
Thats my 2cents.:sarcastic:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Follow-up

I purchased this cover and installed last week. It looks sharp and is nice and tight. My fuel mileage improved by over 2 mpg. I hauled a new dinet set for my Wife today and it was quick and easy to roll it up. :great:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have always been one to go WAY out of the box! So here's what I like, Diamondback covers solid diamonplate 3-piece tonneau cover. The front and rear hatches open, and when closed you can put up to 1,000lbs on it. I have had my Polaris 800 sportsman up there, with the supplied 14 foot ramps. This cover is for work, show, and play! If you can top this, show me something more versatile!..........TRPLXL2
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1706&stc=1&d=1231995458

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had a Retrax cover on 2 trucks now and I love it. It is lockable and it has kept my bed dry and free of debris on both trucks. Retrax doesn't claim to be weatherproof but the bed on my old truck stayed dry and my 07 Silverado's bed is always clean and dry, too.

Installation is very easy and if you need to take the cover off in order to haul something big, taking it off isn't too hard a job. You will probably need two people to remove the cover but if you are hauling something that big you probably will have the help available. Also, I have an over-the-rail spray-in liner and that was not an issue on either truck for installation of the Retrax tonneau.

I bought both of my Retrax tonneaus from truckaddons.com because they were cheaper than buying directly from Retrax for some reason. If I remember correctly, the shipping was free. Good luck with your hunt for the right cover. I really do like the Retrax and have spent the money on it twice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anybody tell me the difference between the bed on the Classic and the bed on the NBS as to why older model hard tonneaus won't fit? I mean...is it THAT big a difference? Thx.
for starters they are a different size and they are tapered-wider on one end. and now on the new body GMC and Chevy are even different from each other. They always used to be the same bed. No more easy swaps for finding a good used deal!

·
Registered
56 Posts
cover

i got a color matched one piece hardshell fiberglass for a steal... 500 cash with only 3 scratches on it.. preference is for the hard covers becuase they can be locked and you can still strap somethin down on top of it.. and.. when it comes time for the parties that are a bit crazy, all the little chicks that like to dance can get on top of the cover and you now have a small dance floor! lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Truxedo roll up that I took off my 2005 HD and put on my 2009 1500, both extended cabs. It fits fine even though the trucks call for different part numbers.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
i have a soft truxedo low pro on mine. i really like the looks it gave me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts