GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I finally picked up my new GMC today. Im getting the bed sprayed on Sat AM by the guy that does it for the dealer. I still need one question answered. I want to put a tonneau on it in the next few weeks. Ive had quite a few Xtang covers and for me they seem to work well. The one thats on the 05 that I just traded in was on 2 other trucks that I owned and it still looked good.
My big question is how do the Xtang covers fit the new trucks ? I want to use the type with snaps. Do the new covers come with thicker foam to make up for the tailgate protector or do I have to double it up ? I saw a GM cover on a truck that was being prepped at the dealer and the foam looked pretty thick but it had velcro sides not snaps. I really dont want to put on rail protectors to build up the height.
Also does anyone have Husky floor liners in their newer style trucks ? Ive used them in all of my trucks, my wifes Tahoe and even in my kids Impala and the only complaint I have is the little rubber nubs on the bottom did some damage to the bottom of my front door panels in my crew cab. Are there better rubber mats out there ?? Thanks guys !!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the Extang III(I think) the one that hooks not snaps and I love it.. have had since my 07 was new and the only problem I have is it's a little hard to remove and replace in freezing weather. It fits my 07 NBS perfect.. I would definitely buy another one from them. I got thick and thin strips for the tailgate, so I could adjust as necessary. Overall it has a slight rub when closing the tail gate but doesn't damage anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get the try fold by x tag. U know what I'm talking bout. All it has is 2 c clamps up buy the cab and 2 spring hooks buy the talegate. It's the one I have and its great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put a new Extang Trifecta on my 2011 Silverado LT. Several friends have this same cover, and they all love it. My son-in-law has had this cover on his Dodge truck since 2004 and has never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have the option to put rail covers on without interfering with the tonneau cover do it. The metal on the rails is so thin you can dent it by leaning on it. Any added protection there will help your truck hold its value.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys but Im already on my second Extang cover for this truck. After speaking to the customer service guys at Extang I ordered one of their covers from Summit. It arrived 4 days later. As I started to assemble the frame I noticed the front rail was much longer than the rear. I called Summit and asked them if they had any specs since Extang was already closed for the weekend. The customer service guy at Summit said the front rail is indeed longer than the rear. I told him the front was 4 full inches longer. Thats correct, FOUR full inches. The guy assured me that it was correct and I should go out there and put it together. I explained to the guy that there was no way this would work and I wanted a UPS pickup label so I could send it back. It went out the next day.
I ordered a second cover. I called Extang before I placed the order and they told me that the wrong size front rail was put in the box. That was a good excuse as far as I was concerned. The second cover came on Wed. The rails looked like they were the right size. I put the frame together. The front rail now looks like its sticking out into space and not making full contact with the bed rail even though the frame is centered on the bed. Im not really happy with the way the clamps fit compared to the older style covers on my other trucks. Tightened they pull the rails up on a bit of an angle. In the rear by the tailgate theres a gap between the weatherstrip and the tailgate. Not a great fit. Also theres about 15 inches from the front corner back on the side rail that doesnt seal correctly. I spoke to one of the reps at Extang and he asked me for some close up pictures which I sent out Wed night. According to him they havent had any problems with those covers since they changed the style in 07. Hes going to speak to someone in their design department on Monday. I tried to use the extra corner foam to fix the problem and it helped a little but it still wasnt a great fit. Plus the fact that theres only 2 included and I would have needed 4. Maybe if they send me thicker foam to to all of the rails it might work. If not, it goes back and I look at another brand.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hate to hear about the issues, like I posted earlier, I love the fit of mine, and have not had any real issues..I will be more cautious of buying from them in the future though... let us know what you end up with and the results after you install.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update. Today I called Extang AGAIN about the cover that I still have on the floor of my garage. It seems that the customer service guy still hasnt received an email reply from the guy in the design department. Kinda pisses me off that he waits for an email. What happened to the telephone ? Only one guy in the "design department" ? Funny way of doing business. This is going on way too long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts