GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 4.3L V6 engine in my Silverado. Is it bad to put too much engine oil inside it? I put in 5qt. of Royal Purple 5W-30 Synthetic oil (good stuff!). The dip stick shows oil about 3-4inch. above the "full" bar so I was wondering if this is bad and if I need to drain it. The truck reached 30,000 miles when I changed it a couple of days ago.

Truck runs better now with the oil change (regular vs. synthetic) and the gas mileage increased because before I was sooo low on oil. Performance wise it helped too :great:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
They say you shouldn’t overfill it. I have never found it to do any damage to my yard plow. But then that has an old 400 ci engine in it and I don’t think I have ever put that much to much in.

You don’t have to drain it if you have a vacuum pump. Just slip a line down the dipstick tube and suck out a few ounces at a time. Checking oil level in between.

Sounds like you put in one quart to many. I believe you will make the oil pump work harder when you over fill, at least on my plow truck I get a higher reading on my oil pressure gauge. So in a smaller engine I would think it would make the pump work harder constantly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That seems strange. I had a 92 S-10 with the 4.3L and i always put 5 quarts in it. Did you change the filter?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil filter was changed at the same time. If anything, the oil pressure seems lower than what it was before. Does this mean the oil is being "whipped" into a foam :grrrrrr:

I can drain some oil today, and then check the dip stick. The oil level isn't much over the "full" line, but I was concerned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
5 quarts is what it should be. But if you do overfill it, the crank will slosh thru it and churn it into foam which the pump will not suck up well, hence the lower oil pressure, or quite possibly engine failure.

The oil filter was changed at the same time. If anything, the oil pressure seems lower than what it was before. Does this mean the oil is being "whipped" into a foam :grrrrrr:

I can drain some oil today, and then check the dip stick. The oil level isn't much over the "full" line, but I was concerned.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Another possibility is seal and gasket failure, and oil sensor failure.

If you dont have a vacuum pump dip a long straw down the dipstick tube, place your thumb over the end and remove, repeat until your at the correct level.
You could also remove the oil filter, drain it, and put it back on. Some may be a little skittish about this last method, most new engines incorporate a no start feature if the engine doesnt get sufficient oil pressure within a few seconds. And how many times do you fill the oil new filter prior to screwing it on?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drained the oil, until it's in the "full" zone and I instantly saw better performance. It's weird though because the dip stick yesterday was about 5" above the FULL line, and today it was about 2" above the FULL line. Is this bad? Does car motor oil burn up? I hope some of the oil did not whip up into foam :neutral:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Look around the engine compartment and under the truck there'sprobably oil spray somewhere. When you overfill it'll usually blow out the PVC and or the dip stick. I've seen one engine shoot a dip stick out because of to much oil.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing unusual. However, the oil pressure gauge is moving a lot more than it did before the oil change. In idle it's around 60. In acceleration, its about 80. Then it sometimes drops to 30 when coasting, and sometimes at 50 when driving normally.

Before the oil change, the meter was at 50-55 all the time. Is this bad? The motor oil is perfectly filled. This new oil is Synthetic. Should I worry? I see no downgrade in driving abilities until the V6 engine gets to be about 190F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone please help!!! We had our oil changed and within a week there was a ticking sound, then within days, low ol pressure light came on and said to shut down engine. Took it back to the dealership where it was serviced and they said the CAM bearings spun out due to no oil getting to the motor. They over filled our oil by almost a quart. They said it would not have caused this, but that it is just normal wear and tear. No other signs/symptoms that anything was going on with our vehicle til the slight noise then engine failure.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Vehicle info Jessica and mileage

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Someone please help!!! We had our oil changed and within a week there was a ticking sound, then within days, low ol pressure light came on and said to shut down engine. Took it back to the dealership where it was serviced and they said the CAM bearings spun out due to no oil getting to the motor. They over filled our oil by almost a quart. They said it would not have caused this, but that it is just normal wear and tear. No other signs/symptoms that anything was going on with our vehicle til the slight noise then engine failure.
I'm with you, that is not normal vehicle wear and tear; not with only 127,000.

There has been a lot of oil failure problems with these engines......wanna start a lawsuit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts