GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a nothing burger here but just checking. Realized during the last oil change my plug was leaking badly. But instead of going to buy a new one at the time I waited a few weeks until after the change. Plus during the change I added some MMO which I’m pleased with so far. So since I had just changed the oil but didn’t want to wait and replace the drain plug for another few months I swapped it out and only lost a bit. So I added to and filled it about 3/16 above the full mark on the dipstick. Oil pressure stay below 60 during acceleration and stats around 40 during normal driving. Should I crawl under and let some out or should I be okay? Thank you for listening.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
5.3 pre 2007? I think you should be absolutly fine...

Reactions: 03AvalancheZ66

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I use mmo but not very often and only for certain reasons. lots of people are against fuel or oil additives like mmo but it has its uses. for instance when I bought my 97 Burb its 5.7 was tapping like a bitch. I added like 1/4 of a jug a week prior to doing an oil change. I didnt remove any oil first either. then when I changed the oil and it was like a toxic sludge messy goo that came out. mmo cleaned it up and the tapping absolutely stopped. I continue to use mmo a week prior to doing oil changes if I plan ahead but I dont use nearly as much. Iv used it in new to me small engines fuel and oil to clean them up. sometimes to clean if it was an 80 year old motor that should really be rebuilt.... lol. that old briggs runs like a champ it just smokes a bit. mmo is also a fuel stabilizer. those are my thoughts based on my passed experiences anyways and I am far from a pro.

Al

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
By overfilling, you have overworked the oil pump and will cause a catastrophic engine failure. You need to sell it before it gives you oil problems.
I'll take it off your hands. 🤣

Reactions: RayVoy and thegawd

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@thegawd I added MMO bc I tow a lot and thought the added protection might help. So you’re saying don’t use it regularly like with every change?

·
Registered
14,742 Posts
@Jaercole , just my 2 cents.
MMO is a dilution and a solvent. Adding it to oil will dilute it's viscosity and reduce the additives.
Diluted oil means less protection. Something you do not need when towing a trailer.

Use the correct viscosity synthetic oil and you engine will be properly protected.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
yes, exactly what Ray said. on your next oil change it will probably be more dirty than you would expect. I dont think its would be necessary to use it in the crankcase again in the future but I dont think it will hurt anything in the meantime.

taker easy.

Al

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve used MMO a lot as an oil additive. It’s never hurt my engine. I keep some in the truck along with extra oil, brake, trans, stearing fluid. I don’t add it to new oil, only when getting close to an oil change. I also add Lucas gas treatment with every fill up. The engine runs quite, otherwise I do get a ticking, DON’T over add, it lubricates the the values and lifters, and keeps the injectors clean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts