GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to be missing something pretty simple, but I've searched this site and googled as best I know how, and I can't seem to find a straight answer as to what the max tow weight I can pull with my 'burb. As labeled in my siggy, it's a 91 Sub 1500 with the Chevy 350 SB, 3.08 gear ratio. I don't plan on pulling anything big (since I don't own anything of that nature), but I want the ability to if I need to for whatever reason. Also, what length of say, a travel trailer can I tow that is within the limits. I hope this makes enough sense, I'm just trying to get a grasp as to what I need to know about towing with this truck. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a '99 OBS...might be the same...

C1500 Suburban 5.7 V-8 Automatic, 6,500lbs tow limit, b,f,h,i

b=Requires four-speed automatic overdrive transmission.
f=Requires either a 3.5/3.9/4.09/4.10:1 axle ratio.
h=Towing not recommended with 3.21:1 axle ratio.
i=California gcwr may differ.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
We've towed a 6000 pound chipper with my dads 94 350 V8 1500 burb. I don't know if that helps or not. Electric brakes make hills much less scary.:shocked:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I've got to be missing something pretty simple, but I've searched this site and googled as best I know how, and I can't seem to find a straight answer as to what the max tow weight I can pull with my 'burb. As labeled in my siggy, it's a 91 Sub 1500 with the Chevy 350 SB, 3.08 gear ratio. I don't plan on pulling anything big (since I don't own anything of that nature), but I want the ability to if I need to for whatever reason. Also, what length of say, a travel trailer can I tow that is within the limits. I hope this makes enough sense, I'm just trying to get a grasp as to what I need to know about towing with this truck. Thanks!
I'll look around and see if I can find something definitive on your tow weight capacity. In regard to the length, it's really up to you the driver what you're comfortable with provided it falls within the weight limit.

I can't help but wonder if your tow weight limit is reduced more than normal burbs with a gear ratio like 3.73, or 4.10 for instance.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
also we tow an 18ft landscaping trailer with ours and all this with 220 thousand miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked the plate on the door jamb of the truck, and here's what I got off of it:
6800GVWR
3256 GAWR FT
3965 GAWR RR

So, what in the world does this mean for me?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You might consider calling GM directly and requesting a restoration packet. They'll ask for your VIN, but I think that's only for record keeping purposes. The packet is actually not specific to your vin, but it will break down all options for your year, and each trim level of your model year.
On the final pages it gives detailed info on the vehicle's engine, wheelbase, drag coefficient, ramp angles, tow limits and so on.

It could be very helpful to someone like you, who's looking to do as much work to your burb as you are.

The phone number is :1-800-222-1020

For our Canadian members you should dial: 1-888-467-6856

Unfortunately they do not ship these over seas. So our European members would not be able to directly take advantage of this. They would need to find someone stateside to help them out.

GVWR
GAWR FT & GAWR RR Simply shows the breakdown of the gross weight rating of the front axle, and rear axle.
Gross Axle Weight Rating (FT=Front/RR=Rear)

That doesn't help in getting tow info.
You'd want to see if you can find GCWR, which would be the gross combined weight rating. Once you have that you could subtract that figure from your GVWR, and get your tow limit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old but I just found this site and signed up.

Check out THIS site for all the dealer literature for GM trucks/suvs from '69-'91.

If you click 1991/Trucks and go almost all the way to the end there is a chart that lists GCWR (truck and trailer weight) based on your engine size and axle ratio...yours looks to be 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Crawdaddy.......

I have and 86 3/4 burb that I have pulled a 34' travel trailer with a dry weight of 8600 no problems, of course a weight dist. hitch and sway bars, I have also towed a 9000 lb fork lift....no real problems.

Now with my 95 3/4 burb, I tow my 3 horse trailer with 3 horses and full of tack and a hay rack well into the 11k with no problem. again weight dist hitch, and sway bars and elec brakes.......

I would believe that the owners manual would be a help there...or as suggested call a dealer or hitch shop...they usually have that infor on hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJ, that's awesome news. I was hoping I could pull something that heavy. But alas, I don't think I can really take those numbers to heart. I have a 1/2 ton sub, and it has 3.08 gears. Awesome for fuel economy, but I doubt they could yank that much to save its life. I'm more than willing to try though ;) ... j/k Before I tow anything, I'm going to have to get that restoration packet thing from GM

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Check campinglife.com

"Camping life" has a great table of tow ratings. It does list back to 1991. Trailerlife.com has tow ratings downloadable as pdf files, but versions before 1999 are only available for a fee. The more 'fudge' room you leave the safer tow you will have. Vacations go sour if you don't make it back alive. Trailer sway is scary and sometimes deadly. Check out this great article on safe towing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
unplugged......That is ok......but for my 95 3/4 burb it showed 10k towing limit with the 7.4......

They must be resting on the side of caution?????

Thanks for the site infor.!!

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered a restoration packet from Chevy for my truck. Hopefully it'll contain all the information I've so been desiring. I honestly deidn't see TraiLeadr's post about the packet until last night. I dont know how I was so blind, but I was.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Easy does it

unplugged......That is ok......but for my 95 3/4 burb it showed 10k towing limit with the 7.4......

They must be resting on the side of caution?????

Thanks for the site infor.!!
These tow ratings are supplied by the mfg. Sure you can pull more than 10,000 lbs with your burb. Everyone has seen the picture of a strongman pulling an object many times greater than his weight. The point is not how much you can tow, but how much can you tow safely? The mfg's ratings are for "typical" towing situations. Towing offroad will reduce this number. Towing live animals where your load will shift by thousands of pounds will reduce this number. Towing constantly on steep grades will reduce this number.

We all have 20/20 hindsight. Please don't put yourself in a towing situation where you would have wished that you had left a bigger safety margin. How much risk is a personal decision. As I've gotten "grayer" my acceptable level of risk has decreased. I'm driving in the slow lane more and I find myself smiling at the gen Xer's who have to be out in front pushing the limit.:biggrin: Been there, done that!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm driving in the slow lane more and I find myself smiling at the gen Xer's who have to be out in front pushing the limit.:biggrin: Been there, done that!
I'm a Gen"X" er who not far behind you in your theory. Generally I'm the guy behind you trying to stay out of the way. (But not tailgating) I think I'm driving the wife nuts replacing safety features on trailer. Replacing wiring, servicing out riggers (New springs, grease) Everytime she sees me doing something. Its "Now what"?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I hope that guy was pulling that truck in park with the 4x4 locked up. Otherwise pulling a toyota is not that impressive.

However I fully agree that while most rigs are very capable of pulling far more than the mfgr's suggested limit, it's in your best interests to stay under that limit. But like unplugged suggested, it's personal preference.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you look like you're pulling more than your rig was designed to pull, your local state police will not hesitate to have you pull over to a weigh station, and in some states they carry portable scales for spot checks.
If you're found towing over your limit, in most cases they will have the trailer impounded, and will hold it until you can procure a vehicle capable of pulling it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
unplugged......Your very right in your assessment of towing safety!!!

I do have towing safety as a top priority....and I did not want to come off as a hot shot or miss informed.

Thanks for setting me back on the correct path way!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
towing

i have a 91 1500 4x4 sub with a 350/4speed auto. ive pulled my 32 ft house boat with just a little strain. it got 212000 miles and i didnt have any trouble at all. my best guess is the boat weighs 8 to 9000 pnds and pullrd it like a champ.with that weight i would recomend trailer brakes though.funny thing is my gas millage stayed the same as when i dont pull anything.?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts