GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i recently took my camper on a trip, about 200 miles with alot of hills ( none too long) and kept a pretty steady 83c(181f) degrees on the trans temp? seems to me that its pretty decent or am i wrong? when considering the following:

1.truck is a 4.8 4 speed,3.42 gears, 33inch tires,all stock and a fiberglass cap
2. camper is 33 ft and weights 8800 lbs ( truck is rated to 5700 i think)

other than the horrible rear sag she seems good and stays relatively cool...none the less im thinking of adding an extra tranny cooler and extra leafs. anyone have an pros or cons of this? and how much of a temp drop could i expect from the extra cooler?

heres a couple pics from last summer, truck looks a bit different now.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
It will never hurt to have a bigger trans cooler and power steering when towing and having larger tires.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
180 Deg F is pretty good for hauling 8800 lbs. My boat & trailer weighs 7500 (12,500 GCVW) & my trans temp can get to 200 F pulling hills on a hot day. Like STB said it never hurts to have an extra cooler & you may get into some mountains on a hot day where it could get over 200 F with your current set up & you'll need it. Trans coolers are rated by GVW (seems kind of stupid), I wish they'ed rate them by the number of BTUs that they dissipate at a given ambient temperature) but I have 2 - 12,000 lb GW coolers on mine & I also got rid of the factory trans cooler in the radiator which did more to heat it up than cool it.
As for temp drop you could expect from a 2nd one just depends on how big it is, how much extra fluid it can pass, & it's placement in the air stream.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Mine runs 180 in winter and 195-202 in this 100f summer heat. I pull an 8000lb trailer as well and i leave the trans in 3rd gear.

Stephan, Could you recommend an aftermarket cooler? Should i replace my factory, or can i add a secondary?

·
4,777 Posts
I just had Replaced/Swapped out the Factory Transmission Cooler in my Truck with.....a True Cool 40K Transmission Cooler.....and the reason is it's Almost 3 Times larger than the Factory Trans. Cooler......before installing this cooler my Trans. Temp when towing my Boat was between.....180 - 200 Degrees and Now with the True Cool Trans. cooler, my Trans. Temp is around 150 Degrees....and has not gone over 160 Degrees.

Link,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANSMISSION-COOLER-HD-40-000-GVW-TOW-TOWING-TRU-COOL-/380342414318?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588e2cabee

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
There are 2 basic auxillary cooler designs Hotrod. The newer design has to do with better fin to tube contact & dissipates heat better compared to the same size in the old style. I can't remember the name of the newer style, but drop by any trans shop & they'll show you the difference between the two.
If you're talking about your factory cooler that's in the radiator? I don't have mine in the circuit anymore because those will always heat the trans fluid to whatever the engine temp is (200-215 Degrees F) I have 2 of the old style auxillary coolers that have been around for eons, & the fluid path is trans line out, through the 2 aux coolers & back to trans line in.
If your factory cooler is an external cooler out front of the rad that was added for a towing package, then keep it & just add a second cooler. Don't stack the 2nd one in front of the first. Mount it in it's own clear air flow space, & not behind anything else.
*One thing to keep in mind is if there is a required minimum temp for your trans to shift properly.
I know some of the Dodge trannys won't shift correctly if their temp is too low so check this out first.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

*The cooler at the link that Mike put in above is one of the new design with the better fin to tube contact & is miles ahead of the old style in cooling efficiency. If you look at this one & then think about the old ones you've seen that have been around for 60 years you'll see why these work better for the same amount of space. These are more expensive, but if the space for mounting out front of your radiator is at a premium, this style is the way to go.

·
4,777 Posts
Below are a couple of Pictures of the Factory Trans. Cooler and the True Cool 40K,

and a picture of the True Cool 40K, Installed,

These are Not pictures of my Truck...They are pictures from another Truck forum.

Edit...Sorry I had the same picture posted up twice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for the input, the outside temp was only 12c degrees that day too...so im gonna have the cooler about the size of that one you have pictured, also gonna toss on an extra set of leafs. was thinking airbags but i dont tow very often so i didnt think it was necessary.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Excellent photos Mike! You da man:great:

·
4,777 Posts
thanks guys for the input, the outside temp was only 12c degrees that day too...so im gonna have the cooler about the size of that one you have pictured, also gonna toss on an extra set of leafs. was thinking airbags but i dont tow very often so i didnt think it was necessary.
For Towing the 2 Mods I've done, one being Trans. Cooler and the Other is installing Air Lift Rear Air Bags......Not only have the Air Bags help Eliminate the rear sag I had before when Towing Boat, they also have helped with handling,

I also have Air Lift's Compressor......and the Gauge and Controls in the cab.....which has been a Great feature.....it allows me to adjust the Air Bags for the change in the load I'm Towing.....but also for the Change in the Road Condition's.......for me adding the Air Bags is 1 of the top 5 or 6 Upgrades I've done to my Truck......I won't every Tow without Rear Bags.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

hey guys,
i recently took my camper on a trip, about 200 miles with alot of hills ( none too long) and kept a pretty steady 83c(181f) degrees on the trans temp? seems to me that its pretty decent or am i wrong? when considering the following:

1.truck is a 4.8 4 speed,3.42 gears, 33inch tires,all stock and a fiberglass cap
2. camper is 33 ft and weights 8800 lbs ( truck is rated to 5700 i think)

other than the horrible rear sag she seems good and stays relatively cool...none the less im thinking of adding an extra tranny cooler and extra leafs. anyone have an pros or cons of this? and how much of a temp drop could i expect from the extra cooler?

heres a couple pics from last summer, truck looks a bit different now.

I just noticed the Weight of your 33ft Travel Trailer.....is 8,800lbs.....and your 2010 WT Truck.....1/2 Ton....Ext Cab...4WD with a 4.8 liter and 3.42 Gears.

Your Trucks Max.Tow Weight(Rating)........is 5,500lbs....and your Trailer WEIGHT's....8,800Lbs........your Over the Trucks Max Trailer weight by 3,300lbs....:neutral:.....I'm I missing something.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah thats way to heavy for that truck. If your dead set on pulling with that truck, you gotta get some gears ( 4.10 ), stall torque converter, and suspension upgrades. But at almost 9000lbs i would be looking at a new truck, maybe a 3/4 ton, or atleast a 1/2 ton thats setup to tow/haul.

Best of luck bud.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
no you are not....when i bought my truck i had a 5800 pound trailer, i since traded it in, didnt realize at the time how low the tow rating was on the truck,i knew my old ram was over 9000 so i figured with the smaller motor the chev should be good for 8000, but i was wrong. i only tow it 2 times a year and its only a 4 hour run, so im not too concerned, she takes it like a bitch anyway haha.

·
4,777 Posts
no you are not....when i bought my truck i had a 5800 pound trailer, i since traded it in, didnt realize at the time how low the tow rating was on the truck,i knew my old ram was over 9000 so i figured with the smaller motor the chev should be good for 8000, but i was wrong. i only tow it 2 times a year and its only a 4 hour run, so im not too concerned, she takes it like a bitch anyway haha.
With All Due Respect, Towing 3,300lbs above your Trucks Towing Capability is Not only UnSafe but also Dangerous......with that being said, I'm guessing that the trailer weight of......8,800lbs is Dry Weight, and once you add Gear/Supplies/Food etc.....which puts your Trailer's Weight over....9,000lbs,

The Truck is Not Setup to......Tow/Handle this kind of Weight......there's going to be A Lot of Stress only Not Only the Engine and Transmission, but also the Fame.......looking at the picture of your Truck with the Rear Sag......the Truck has lost some of it's Steering/Handling
Capability's due to this rear sag,

......it's your Truck and I hope that you get to your location Safe and Sound when your Towing this Trailer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know what you mean bud, I have walked away several time from buying chevy in the past because their tow rating are so damn low compared to others. Ford is 10,000lbs, Tundra is 10,600lbs , and silverado was 7000lbs. It was almost laughable at the comparisons. GM just has not seemed to want to compete in the tow ratings for 1/2 tn trucks. When i bought my GM truck the dealer said the 2010 offered 9000lb towing for their HD tow Haul package with 4x4, and that the only difference from my 09 and the 2010 with that rating was the leaf springs and shocks. SO i pocketed the 10k savings on the 09 and went aftermarket on the leaf springs.

If nothing else bud, buy some leaf springs for your truck so your a little safer on the road. They only cost $200 max and take an hour to put on with some basic tools.

If you want to help your trans temp, then get a aftermarket trans cooler for $150.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know how you all feel on the safety, like i said the trailer is only towed twice a year and a relatively short distance, i am goin for extra leafs to get rid of the sag and a trans cooler to be safe, iv had no issues towing as of now, i have the proper hitch with the anti sway bars and such. if i was towing on a regular basis id be more concerned, as for the sag, when i put my sportsman in the box its sags almost as bad.if id had realized how low the tow rating was i would have never bought the truck in the beginning, but 13k off is what lead me into the dealership.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Hotrod, that HD tow package the dealer was talking about comes with the rear end that used to come in the old 1500HD trucks, a 3/4 ton rear end, plus heavier springs, bigger tranny cooler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts