GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the towing capacity of a bumper mounted ball on a 97 burban, 5.7L 4x4?

Since my reciever was stolen, I was thinking of dragging a car on a dolly just using the bumper this weekend, but needed to make sure that was going to be sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Hmm, from memory of looking at various bumpers' weight rating, I'd say that the weight rating for yours is probably somewhere between 1500 and 2500 pounds. Not very much, pretty much just a boat... I wouldn't trust a bumper mounted ball for anything other than tooling around the farm with a small trailer of sorts...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ok for a small car

The bumper on my burb is stamped with "400lbs tongue load max, 4000lbs trailer load max" Should be OK to tow a small car.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I've got the same year as unplugged, but 2500, and I've got the same load limit on my burb. 400 tongue, and 4000 trailer.

You should be fine. Just make sure your ball can handle the load too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
$25-40 for a new receiver and ball? Why take the chance?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$25-40 for a new receiver and ball? Why take the chance?

No, thats not what got stolen. The part that actually bolts to the frame of the truck that the ball hitch locks into was stolen, the reciever. I still have the arm with the multi-ball in my garage.

And BTW, it pulled the 1990 New Yorker just fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Well, this upcoming weekend, I'm going to be pulling a 18' car hauler with a late 90's firebird on it. According to the different weights of the stuff I'm pulling, it looks like I may be a bit overweight for the rear gears I have. The trailer weighs about 2000 lbs, and supposedly the car weighs 3700, but we're not sure if that's empty, or loaded. That would put me at 5700, when I belive I can only pull about 3000 with the 3.08 rear gears. My uncle keeps reassuring me that if we just take the takeoffs easy, it'll be fine, but I'm a little worried...

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, thats not what got stolen. The part that actually bolts to the frame of the truck that the ball hitch locks into was stolen, the reciever. I still have the arm with the multi-ball in my garage.

And BTW, it pulled the 1990 New Yorker just fine.
Wow, now those were so determined thieves! I see you are in Arlington. Where were you when the thing was stolen, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Crawdaddy Well, this upcoming weekend, I'm going to be pulling a 18' car hauler with a late 90's firebird on it. According to the different weights of the stuff I'm pulling, it looks like I may be a bit overweight for the rear gears I have. The trailer weighs about 2000 lbs, and supposedly the car weighs 3700, but we're not sure if that's empty, or loaded. That would put me at 5700, when I belive I can only pull about 3000 with the 3.08 rear gears. My uncle keeps reassuring me that if we just take the takeoffs easy, it'll be fine, but I'm a little worried...
Man I can't imagine 3.08 gears. I'm mad that I got stuck with 3.23. Have you ever thought about getting them changed?

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
The gear ratio debate is tricky, 3.08's and 3.23's give much better mileage, 4.10's and lower give better performance. It comes down to what you ask your truck to do most tow or commute, that'll determine the best ratio for ya.
Be great if they still made 2 speed rearends. Which brings up the question of why they ever stopped producing them.
I've been known to rent a truck at times for long tows to save wear and tear on my own vehicles.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
In the 60's and early 70's manufacturers of medium and heavy duty trucks produced rear axles that had 2 carrier gears in them. A larger outer gear and a smaller inner gear. the gears could be could switched by coming to a full stop and either pushing or pulling (depending on which gear you were changing to) a lever in the cab that was connected to the gear mechanism via a cable. One gear was for high range and unloaded driving and one gear was low range and loaded.
The gear sets had issues tho, the mechanisms would stick and the larger outer gear sets were weak and would break at times. But with todays technology it seems we could overcome those problems.
Another useful item that isnt produced anymore is an aftermarket overdrive, a company called Atlas used to make overdive cases that bolted on behind the transmission when in neural the final gear ratio was 1:1, when shifted into overdrive you could get as high as 1:42. They had 3 different final gear ratio choices. Atlas overdrives were popular on Jeeps, early Broncos, and the big three's 1/2 ton pickups.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gear Vendor still makes an overdrive that bolts on behind the trans but it is pricey. The two speed axle probably wouldn't catch on in a light truck but would be a great idea. Too much to go wrong. For the uninitiated they could leave it in low and over rev the engine. I have noticed that the never AWD don't even have a 2 speed transfer case.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Forgot about Gear Vendor. Aftermarket overdrives just dont seem to be popular, I dont understand why with everyone wanting better MPG.
Yea over reving was a problem with those old 2spd axles, but with todays technology any you could put an RPM limiter on the ignition and solve that problem.
I've got a 62 Chevy/Wilco 4x4 pickup conversion at my parents place in Pahrump NV. that has an original Atlas overdrive and factory 2 spd rear end, you coldnt drive that truck from Pahrump to Las Vegas (70 miles) in a day without the overdrive and 2 spd rear. The factory final gear tops out at 46mph, with overdrive and high gear it'll get upto 71mph.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, now those were so determined thieves! I see you are in Arlington. Where were you when the thing was stolen, if you don't mind me asking?
Well, either the dealer that was consigning it for my grandmother took it off before we shipped it down here( from Amarillo) or it was taken shortly after it arrived from my driveway. I don't remember actually seeing it on the truck, and only noticed it meeting when I climbed out of the back end and didn't rip all the skin off of my shin.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
In the 60's and early 70's manufacturers of medium and heavy duty trucks produced rear axles that had 2 carrier gears in them. A larger outer gear and a smaller inner gear. the gears could be could switched by coming to a full stop and either pushing or pulling (depending on which gear you were changing to) a lever in the cab that was connected to the gear mechanism via a cable. One gear was for high range and unloaded driving and one gear was low range and loaded.
The gear sets had issues tho, the mechanisms would stick and the larger outer gear sets were weak and would break at times. But with todays technology it seems we could overcome those problems.
Another useful item that isnt produced anymore is an aftermarket overdrive, a company called Atlas used to make overdive cases that bolted on behind the transmission when in neural the final gear ratio was 1:1, when shifted into overdrive you could get as high as 1:42. They had 3 different final gear ratio choices. Atlas overdrives were popular on Jeeps, early Broncos, and the big three's 1/2 ton pickups.
Thanks. :great:.. Ya learn something new everyday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts