GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I think the major reason for them getting so much is GM incompetent managers.

They don’t care about anything but themselves. I don’t mean plant managers, I mean corporate managers.

Instead of worrying about Quality Control they worry about payrolls.

If they had the quality under control there would be no need for down sizing.

The fuel economy is better than Toyotas. Most of GM’s new cars and trucks beat Toyota by the EPA fuel economy rates on the stickers.

Not that any vehicle ever gets the fuel mileage on the sticker, but they are all tested by the same government agency in the same manner.

The new 100,000 mile warranty may bring back customers, I hope so.

But they also need to work on the dealers that they have. The front line on any company is the dealers, that is what the customer sees not the corporation, or the assembly plants.

They see the dealer that rips them off as the company.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I don't think that Toyota will outsell GM, in the truck market, but very possibly in the "overall". Toyota, as well as Honda and others have a "sustained" Quality image. I don't think GM is that much different than Ford when it comes to Quality. Both companies don't think anything of having it's customers "put up with" known problems: bad design of steering shafts; spark plugs blowing out of the head; etc. The customer is supposed to just accept these as annoyances. Toyota has had it's recalls, but at least they "recall" quality/safety problems. GM & Ford will recall, if it is proven a Safety problem. But, then again here I am driving a Chevy and will probably continue :!:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I didn't get to read the article, but I imagine it's just like anything else. While Toyota might outsell GM for even possibly a few years, it will be a trend. GM is no slouch. They may have issues with upper management, but if they start to see that they're losing out, they'll make some internal changes. Look at the situation Ford got itself into with quality back in the 80's. They put a huge emphasis, almost overkill on quality just to turn it around. GM will undoubtedly have to come around to that point too.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
broken link

TrailLeadr said:
Steve the Link is broken.
Just click the link, then the news link at the top, the you will find it.

Took me a min. to figure it out.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: broken link

Sorry, I fixed the link. Not sure what happened.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: broken link

I agree with the thought that Toyota may outsell overall, just not SUV/Trucks. The world is a big place, China is now growing like crazy and there is a shift towards cars there as freedom and a type of capitalism flourishes.

·
1,457 Posts
The only reason Toyota is selling better than GM; is the miles per gallon a car gets I don't understand why GM doesn’t do anything about that. :?:

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the newer GM vehicles are getting much better gas mileage. The new tahoe gets in the 20's for freeway driving ... that's a Tahoe!

Business is business and unfortunately, some foreign companies have a competitivate advantage over US firms becuase of the way that their own countries help to underwrite the cost of doing business. It makes it harder for US companies to compete. ... I'm just saying it's not just about the product, it's also about the business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think Toyota will win in the car market because GM has alot of work to do to win back that market. I think GM vehicles are great and not boring like Toyota's and Honda's.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Well, I am someone who sold a Toyota and went to GM. I do NOT get the popularity of Toyota? Not after owning one and also based on all my years working in the auto field. Has to be one of the most overrated companies, and vehicle lines, I have ever had the sorry occassion to deal with.

In August of 2005 when gas hit $3+ here I panicked and sold my HEMI Ram. I downsized to a Toyota Tacoma( Double Cab 4X4 4.0L V6 )for the increased fuel economy and resale value. I have to tell you that truck was without a doubt the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. So many problems in the 7 short months I owned it you would almost think me a liar if I listed them all. Major serious issues as well.

Let me assure you that Toyota is every bit as bad if not worse to deal with over problems and warranty as some of you claim GM to be. I have NEVER in all my life seen such a hassle and outright ducking of responsibility as I did with Toyota. It was not just me either. I spent those 7 months on the Toyota forums and I was far from alone with major issues and no help.

GM definitely needs to improve quality a bit and perhaps step up on issues such as piston slap but trust me they are no worse than any other mfg out there. Toyota is NOT the great, be all and end all, that some make them out to be. Their vehicles have just as many issues as any other brand. The difference is because they have somehow become the media darlings they are it has helped to foster the illusion that they are so great and people buy into it. That has turned the company and dealer base very arrogant. Because they have 10 people outside with blinders on, running to the showroom like Lemmings to the ocean, they can ignore the problems that do crop up.

Let me assure you that Toyota uses "it is normal" far more than GM does. I hear a lot of folks bash Dodge. Well, have to tell you I owned 5 of them from 94-05 and I had no serious issues at all. When I did have something crop up though it was taken care of no questions asked. Never hassled by the dealer nor the company. The same has applied to the year or so I have had my Chevy. Have had a couple small warranty issues and they have been dealt with no questions asked and in a timely manner. Not a single one of the problems I had with the Toyota, that ranged from bad paint, to engine issues, to brake & tire issues, to the composite bed cracking were fixed. NOT ONE!

Hell, with Toyota any major warranty issues you have means you need an area rep to come down and look at the vehicle to authorize repairs( the dealers can't just fix it ). I couldn't get a rep to even contact me to make an appointment to then skip. They wouldn't even call me back. I tried from mid Dec until mid March and not a single return call for an appointment. Just blew me off.

Trust me Toyota is heading for a crash unless they smarten up. I know I will NEVER again buy one. The ONLY good I can say about that truck was it did hold it's value and I got a good trade on it to buy the Chevy. Because it was a "Toyota" the value was high. I only wish the poor fool that ended up with that truck luck. Lots of it as he/she will need it. The biggest kicker to me is I am within 1 MPG city/average and 2 MPG highway with this truck than what I got with the Toyota. A real truck that at least has a company that will try and fix any problems that come up. Cost a lot less, gets same basic MPG, and is 10X the quality( the Toyota was all plastic and cheap plus I think they used recycled soda cans for the body ).

I have never laughed so hard in my life as I do when I see those Tacoma ads where the trucks are hit by meteors, beaten up by the Loch Ness monster, tossed around in the surf, etc... and then are driven off unharmed. What a joke. If a child drove a toy car into one they would fall apart and be totalled.

JUNK!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Marketing

Marketing, marketing, marketing!
GM needs to do a better job on quality marketing. People buy Toyotas and Hondas because they do a better job on quality marketing. I was not happy about my wifes decision to buy a Honda minivan(and I would still rather push my Chevy than drive it) but, We have had that uncomfortable yet very reliable minivan for four years and have not had one problem with it, not one!
I can not say that for my two Chevy cars and my eight Chevy trucks, nothing real big on any of them but problems none the less. This is what people are hearing from Chevy owners and Honda owners and with the way the economy is for the average Joe, you need to make a smart informed decision on your purchases. If someone asks me about the Honda I do not lie, I tell them we have had no problems, but I also include in my statement (how many Americans did we put out of work when we bought it?)
I have and always will drive a My Chevy trucks and I will fight like hell to convince my kids to do the same!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. If you look at the numbers for official new car complaints for the first 12 months, 24 months and 36 months, American, European and Asian car manufactures are all about the same.

Moreover, in the last couple of years, Toyota has taken a hit, ACCURA took a big hit, while Hyundi took top notch for their segment of the market. Go figure! Cadillac and Lincoln have blown most others away.

I agree. The "Like a rock" promotion of the 90's was brilliant marketing! I say, BRING BACK BOB SEGAR! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took a total round trip from Santa Clarita to Downey most of it was stop and go traffic and I use under a 1/4 of fuel for the trip wich is good for a 5000LB truck.
I also miss the Like a rock ads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts