GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this? It's been hanging out since I bought the truck and I still have no idea what it is for...

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Rope Wire

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
do I count 8 wires back there? and is it grey? Well I dunno? I cant find anything about a grey wire and that plug is weird. of course I have only worked on gmt400's and that wire is not on my trucks.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do I count 8 wires back there? and is it grey? Well I dunno? I cant find anything about a grey wire and that plug is weird. of course I have only worked on gmt400's and that wire is not on my trucks.
There are the standard 7 wires for the trailer receptacle and then the random 8th wire with the weird end on it. I have no idea what it's for and it has never been in service in the 10 years I have owned the truck...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I seen the "rest of the story" in your other post. :) LMAO have you put a test lead on it to see what its deal is? maybe it's just an extra ground? I could not wager a guess at all!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll hit it with a multimeter when I rewire the unit. I don't know if I've ever done that, honestly... 🤔

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
Jacob, test it for trailer reverse lights.
The reverse wire is usually gray and it's in the center of the round trailer plug.
You didn't show us the end of the strange connector, does it have a bare terminal at the end?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That looks like a bulb holder?
License plate side lamp?
My 2001 has them mounted on the rear bumper.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I cant find anything about a grey wire. I know at one time there was no "standard" for trailer wiring but this is on the truck and im sure the standard started before 2001.

I'm with Bel, I dont think it has anything to do with trailer wiring.

heres what I'm familiar with.
Font Number Document Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just got home.
I took a pic of my license plate bulb. It's been hanging since I put the bumper back after replacing the rear quarter panel.
It does not look the same. It's something else.
Edit:
Wait I see a gray wire connected and a green wire that was cut. This could very well be a power and ground wire to the bulb.
Perhaps, Jacob can clean the soiled bulb?
Plant Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Reactions: thegawd

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
That's just one of those 1/4 turn sockets. I'd like to see the tip of Jacobs puzzle

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's just one of those 1/4 turn sockets. I'd like to see the tip of Jacobs puzzle
Easy, Ray. We haven't even been on a date, yet!

It's not a bulb holder. Those are installed. It's also not a reverse light configuration I recognize. I have a wire for that already.

Leg Wood Finger Terrestrial plant Thumb

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for clarity, both of my plate lights exist and work without this plug.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a standard connection. I've used similar in other applications, but usually with 2 wires. The single wire is confusing me...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MAYBE someone added a dedicated reverse light circuit that is separate from the 7 way. like if they put reverse lights on a boat trailer that only has a 4 way connector. I could totally see it!

go check it out? how ya guna do that by yourself? well I used wheel chocks to take pics of my led reverse lights with the engine off. no ground plug would be necessary if that's what someone did.

backing a boat trailer up at night really sucks! especially if there is no boat on the damn trailer! can you tell Ive been there? guys like HEY! why dont you get out and pick the trailer up and line it up with the ramp, another guy is like put your tailgate down! LOL this was my old 94 Burb and it had a tailgate! I did both suggestions and then I put a giant antenna on the trailer when I got the new (97) burb without a tailgate! man I should put a set of reverse lights on it though! great idea Jacob. LMAO

Al

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
The only connector that I can think of is the one on the starter solenoid, instead of the small pink wire going on a stud held with a nut, my starter has a connector just like that one that pushes in. Of course, it's pink.
Let me see if I can find a pic.
Here we go:
Light Product Font Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
16,019 Posts
So, I guess I'd plug a light, or a meter, into it; play with all the lights until I saw power.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts