GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was driving our 01 Suburban today and tried to put her in park but the shifter moved freely through the gears and was turned off with the tree in park position with the dash still indicating the truck was in drive.

When I arrived at the scene the truck would not start and the dash indicated it was still in drive. With the key turned one can move the shifter up and down into gears with less than normal resistance.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery and took boot off shifter but haven't tried tightening.

Please help! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
To "test" your issue and provide a way to limp it home, get under the truck on the drivers side and move the shifter fork. You should be able to find neutral. Make sure someone's holding the brake in the truck while doing this. When you're in drive, there should be 2 positions to go in one direction, and 3 in the other. The side with 3 is the park side. Count the notches until you get to neutral. You can then start it up, and ten knock it one more into drive. Sounds like you have a broken shifter cable, but this will permit you to get it home without a tow. Just make sure you have someone sitting on the brake whenever you crawl under the truck with it running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I found out day after my post that the shifter cable came undone. Ended up being an easy fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts