GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Suburban that I use to tow a camper with. It has about 150 K on the truck and was well maintained. I live in south Florida where it is very hot. During long trips through the Smokies I noticed the trans temp ( and engine) were up to about 235. WAY TOO HOT! I bought a trans cooler and figured to put in a new radiator while I am at it. My question is should I stick with the GM trans fluid or maybe an another brand like Amsoil or something that may have better cooling capacities? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the 2007 Suburban calls from Dexron VI

The OEM AC Delco is a synthetic blend but companies like Valvoline and others offer it in a full-synthetic formula.

The only other kind of fluid I would potentially consider is Valvoline Maxlife ATF but that is not Dexron approved, Valvoline recommends it though.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
edit...... CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL! because people sitting behind a screen dont always have the correct awnsers! as I dont know anything about the 8 or 10 speed transmissions. not that were talking about anything that new.

(Most, not ALL) gm automatic transmissions with the exception of some saturn vehicles us the DEXVI.

and I would not change any parts that have not failed. a simple pressure test can tell you if you need a new rad. I know GMs quality department went out the window in 2007 with the bail out and I have no idea how well these rads hold up but chances are good that your radiator may be fine.

I would bet that your high transmission transmission temp is due to your rad'(s) are plugged up with dead leaves, dead butterflies, dead bees, and lots of road grime! you may be horribly suprised how much shyt gets stuck up in here and neglected. clean it out with a gentle brush like a paint brush, a pick if need be to pull out the bees, then wash it with a garden hose. note... theres more than just the rad, theres the ac condenser, tranny cooler, oil cooler and possibly a power steering cooler all down there and they should all be cleaned.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all gm automatic transmissions with the exception of some saturn vehicles us the DEXVI.

and I would not change any parts that have not failed. a simple pressure test can tell you if you need a new rad. I know GMs quality department went out the window in 2007 with the bail out and I have no idea how well these rads hold up but chances are good that your radiator may be fine.

I would bet that your high transmission transmission temp is due to your rad'(s) are plugged up with dead leaves, dead butterflies, dead bees, and lots of road grime! you may be horribly suprised how much shyt gets stuck up in here and neglected. clean it out with a gentle brush like a paint brush, a pick if need be to pull out the bees, then wash it with a garden hose. note... theres more than just the rad, theres the ac condenser, tranny cooler, oil cooler and possibly a power steering cooler all down there and they should all be cleaned.

Al
Thanks for your input! I am leaning towards whatever it original had for fluid from the factory but the guy I bought it from always had it serviced at a dealership and not sure if there is synthetic in there now. I assume the dealerships would put in original stuff but some service stations may have pulled an upsale on the guy. As far as the radiator goes I have a wife, 2 daughters and a 14 year old radiator. There is no amount of money in the world to deal with the nonsense if it were to start leaking on me.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
hahaha I understand where your coming from as I have a big family myself. all the seats are full in my Burb and my oldest is 17!

dexVI is synthetic fluid but the DeXVI of 2007 probably didnt say synthetic however acdelco soon started putting it on the bottle with a new part number, I believe tricking people into thinking it's now synthetic when I believe it was in fact all along. haha.

I'm sure if you look in your owners manual it will say DEXVI. I believe the year prior is when the service bulletin was issued to replace DEXIII.

take care.
Al

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I want to point out while the majority of GM vehicles do use Dexron VI not all of them do especially 2013+ so always verify in the owners manual.
This can be a touchy subject.
Look in the owners manual of any truck built before 2006 and it's going to tell you to use Dexron 3, because 6 wasn't invented.
After 6 was introduced for the new 6 speed GM changed the spec for the 4 speed. The new spec says to use Dexron 6 for older 4 speeds and to no longer use Dexron 3.
That's why I posted the link to the "all you need to know a Dexron ATF".

The link is in post #6; but I'll repost it here:

·
Registered
314 Posts
This can be a touchy subject.
Look in the owners manual of any truck built before 2006 and it's going to tell you to use Dexron 3, because 6 wasn't invented.
After 6 was introduced for the new 6 speed GM changed the spec for the 4 speed. The new spec says to use Dexron 6 for older 4 speeds and to no longer use Dexron 3.
That's why I posted the link to the "all you need to know a Dexron ATF".

The link is in post #6; but I'll repost it here:
My point is GM has transmissions that are newer that cannot use regular Dexron 6 they instead use Dexron HP which is not backwards compatible like Dexron VI.

Also some GM vehicles even earlier then 2006 it is not smart to use Dexron 6 such as in the Allison transmissions it is known to destroy the seals.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Well your right about the newer transmissions needing a different ATF, the manual for the early 8 speeds does say to use HP.

However, that fluid causes a shudder in the 8 speed and so, to try and fix it, GM issued a newer fluid, this one is called LV.

However, the LV did not fix it and they have released a newer fluid made by Mobile One.

And, the point I am trying to make is that the Owners Manual is not always right, it was right at time of printing; but things change.

As far as the Allison is concerned, I haven't had a need to look up the fluid requirements.

I do know that some of today's transmissions are called Allison's but are just plain old GM transmissions; so they may very well use plain old GM ATF.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
However, that fluid causes a shudder in the 8 speed and so, to try and fix it, GM issued a newer fluid, this one is called LV.
That's funny, Valvoline makes a Dex VI and Merc LV synthetic :ROFLMAO: Maybe not the same LV as GM specs?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I missed that mistake I made and have amended my statement! like I said, I dont know anything about those trannys and I wonder if those trannys even have a dipstick! probably not. they get checked and filled like a transfercase or a differential and it's a PITA, at least that's my understanding. gm really dosent want you touching them.

HURRAY WE CAN FINALLY edit our posts more than a day later! now if only we could delete our own content then we would almost be all set! it would be nice to get rid of the damn add that always jumps in front of the post button when you hit post! A funking Jeep add even! like hell would I ever own another mopar POS! Haha

Al

·
Registered
314 Posts
I missed that mistake I made and have amended my statement! like I said, I dont know anything about those trannys and I wonder if those trannys even have a dipstick! probably not. they get checked and filled like a transfercase or a differential and it's a PITA, at least that's my understanding. gm really dosent want you touching them.

HURRAY WE CAN FINALLY edit our posts more than a day later! now if only we could delete our own content then we would almost be all set! it would be nice to get rid of the damn add that always jumps in front of the post button when you hit post! A funking Jeep add even! like hell would I ever own another mopar POS! Haha

Al
I don't know about the 6L80E but this whole dipstick removal situation is getting out of hand in general, hell even German vehicles are removing dipsticks all together so now you have to go by an onboard computer regarding oil level which just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me especially when a lot of these modern cars consume oil.

If GM hasn't done it yet I am sure they will soon.

I intend to keep my S10 on the road for years to come, its cheaper that way even if I go through a transmission and engine in its lifetime it will still cost less then a brand new truck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know about the 6L80E but this whole dipstick removal situation is getting out of hand in general, hell even German vehicles are removing dipsticks all together so now you have to go by an onboard computer regarding oil level which just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me especially when a lot of these modern cars consume oil.

If GM hasn't done it yet I am sure they will soon.

I intend to keep my S10 on the road for years to come, its cheaper that way even if I go through a transmission and engine in its lifetime it will still cost less then a brand new truck.
Not sure why the AVERAGE OWNER needs a transmission dipstick. It is a SEALED SYSTEM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts