GM Truck Club Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
so the fluid can be checked, it's called maintenance. people should be able to do basic automotive maintenance.

none of my kids will be driving away in one of my vehicles if they cant check the fluids and make sure that the fluids are topped up. that does include transmission fluid and even though there is a procedure for checking it, doing so correctly is simple.

I have 6 kids and all of them can tell you how an internal combustion engine works. but then again they are homeschooled. homeschooled or not, when working on vehicles or anything really, having kids around to help and learn is a great bonding experience. being able to do your own maintenance is keeping your hard earned money in your pocket. I think that is setting a great example for my kids and being independent is a hell of a good thing.

You have not blown up a transmission yet have you? well I have blown 3 4L60E's and had the last one rebuilt a stage 3 HD which cost an arm and a leg, your darn right I keep an eye on the transmission fluid level.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Leaks would be the only reason, and you can check the colour and smell of the fluid.

EDIT:

Looks like Al beat me to it................again, haha

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure why the AVERAGE OWNER needs a transmission dipstick. It is a SEALED SYSTEM.
Transmissions can leak especially many 4x4 models where fluid can actually leak into the transfer case and you not know it until it is too late.

Also fluid condition, while everyone should be doing proper intervals fluid condition can help you identify if something is going wrong in the transmission and catch it before it adds even more costs to the repair bill. At bare minimum people should be checking fluids every month.

The average owner doesn't seem to ever service transmissions so they are the ones who need it most and need to be educated on it. This is why so many transmission failures happen because the average owner fails to maintain them. And when they see these modern cars coming without dipsticks they believe the manufacturers claiming "lifetime" transmission fluid which is complete bs all transmissions need to be serviced at decent intervals.

I don't know about you but I want everyone to have their vehicles last as long as possible and if they end up selling them I want good maintained vehicles on the used market which often times the used market has junk with blown transmissions.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts