GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
I had talked with a mechanic at a tranny shop some time back, and he told me that if the transfer case was not shifted at least once a year, the o-rings tend to deteriorate. Correct me if I'm wrong, you should have the NP241C transfer case, and those use a piston as part of the shifting process. (This is just what I'm told.) I haven't opened one up myself yet. I'm due to work on mine soon.

How did your transfer case go bad? What is it doing/not doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats better for towing?? For regular driving?? It's a "4 on the fly" truck and she keeps switching it from 2 hi.......to 2 lo. Which one is better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife was driving it in another state.....and she said it sound like she was dragging a chain. Making a real loud noise.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
2 hi and 2 low, dont you mean 4 hi to 4 low? i'm not familiar with this. mine only has 4 hi and 4 low. and 2 hi. is this something i'm not familiar with guys?
or is she driving it in 4 wheel hi and low? if she is and its not snowing or raining shes going to distroy transfer. 4 wheel low is only for pulling a tree out of the ground or someone stuck.

G

·
0 Posts
I've never heard of a truck with 2 hi 2 low, but I suppose if your front diff goes out, then that's all you have, right. :wink:
You should pretty much always keep it in 2 hi. The only time you should change over to 4HI is if you've gotten stuck while in 2wheel, or if you think you're going to get stuck. 4 Low should really only be used under the rarest of conditions. (depending on what you do.)
Unless you're a fan of wasting gas, you should avoid 4low, and certainly never tow with 4 low. It will make it seem like a breeze to tow, but you'll never get any kind of fuel economy, and you'll really beat on your engine that way.

Most importantly, never use 4low, or 4 hi on dry pavement. When you make turns on dry pavement, it binds the gears, and will eventually shorten the life of your 4x4 system.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
patrick i got to agree but havent heard from this guy have we. if yourt still out there give us a heads up on whats going on with the truck. we would like to help.

G

·
0 Posts
Been in vaca from work, so I haven't been stopping by the site as much....guess I'm a little behind on the messages....

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i think he means he was on vacation steve.

G

·
0 Posts
yeah..I 've been on vacation for this week. I just realized that I wrote that I was "in" instead of "on" I suppose that could have helped to confuse you. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
transfer case

I just had my case rebuilt it cost me 1700$,the dealer said the chain in it wore a hole through my case cover and they would not cover it under a defect.My ext-warranty just passed too.I have 85000 miles on my 03 silverado4x4-5.8liter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts