GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently dropped, rebuilt a turbo 400 automatic trans. I have put everything else back together, wiring, drive lines, etc., i have put the fluids in and all. I started it up and it will not go anywhere. I have tried to move in 2L, 4H, 4L, and in R,N,D,2,1 etc. Still would not go anywhere.When I did put it into 4H,4L the light on the dash did not light up. All wires that were disconnected are now reconnected.
Any help will be considered, this is not daily driver, more of a project. It has 7 inches of lift altogether, 35" tires(needs to be bigger) with a rebuilt 350, good body and killer sound system. I will check this site often.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
sorry man I wish I could help ya but I know someone will.... got any pics of your ride? and what truck is this for? and yea 7" is nice but it can never hurt to go bigger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya your right it can go bigger. It is a 1990 v2500 suburban, throttle body injection 350, 3/4 ton. Pictures will be up soon.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Did the torque convertor get refilled prior to putting the trans back in?
The light issue could be something totally separate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I didn't take the torque converter off. Should I Have? I am also thinking about getting an entirely new transmission any suggestions on were I can get a good quality, it will help out my search a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Did you leave the converter attached to the flex plate when you removed the transmission? If so, when you re-installed the trans, you probably did not get the notches in the converter lined up with the pump. If this is the case, at the very least you will have to unbolt the coverter from the flex plate, line it up with the pump and re-attach it. You may have to pull the transmission back a little to get this done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, that is what some other people have told me what to do. Is there a way to test if it is connected right? I am pretty sure that I am just going to get a remanufactured transmission, if that doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion that I have been getting.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Hopefully it hasn't messed up the front pump yet. Take the converter bolts loose from the flex plate. At this time, the converter should be able to be pushed backward into the transmission a slight amount. Spin it slowly as you do this and you should feel when it lines up with the notches as it will move back just a little more. I'm not sure you can do all of this without moving the transmission back away from the engine just a bit. Good luck.
Where are you located? Help may be just around the corner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you had the bellhousing up tight against the motor I'm pretty much positive you broke the ears off of the oil pump. I repaired transmisisons for GM for a number of years and had seen this senario quite a few times. Hope you didn't do to much damage...:neutral:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
That's kind-of what I was thinking, but hoping maybe not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope that I didn't break the gears off or damage them too much. I think that I will get a remanufacured transmission from a company based in Michigan. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I finally have a day off, and the weather isn't all that bad, since it will not fit into the garage being so tall and all I get to do it outside. All fun. I will post a reply on what I find as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Oh I know I got jeeps too and am part of a jeep club and I know what they can do.... I just like the quote

1 - 13 of 13 Posts