GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put a transmission in my 93 chevy silverado 1500 4.3 liter and it won't shift out of 2nd into drive.. does anyone have any advise as what i need to do next?? Or donibjust need to go ahead and stary looking for another tranny??

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Was this a used trans? All of these trucks are getting old, so the odds of getting a good used trans, are getting slim. How long has the trans been on the truck? You should have 30 days to bring it back and get another trans is you got it from a junk yard. Your best bet would have been to have the trans remanufactured. This can be done at a trans shop for around $2000 or maybe a little less. Most transmission shops will stand behind there work. They should give at least a 1 year, 12000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was used. I put new seals in it before i put it in. Could it be the transmission control modual? Or the shift valve , or shift solenides?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad transmission. These things happen sonetimes. Can you bring it back n and exchange it? Whoever sold you the trans, Sold you a bad trans. They may have not even known. Chances are, there is no easy fix. The trans would have to be taken apart to get at, and fix the problem. Have you tried letting off of the gas just before it shifts, the hitting the gas again. Sometimes that help to make it shift.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah tried everything i could think of... But hey i appreciate your time and knowledge.. Looks like i will be getting another transmission soon.. Yee haw!! Thank you so much..

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
No problem, sorry I couldnt have give you better news.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
Stacy, it could be a stuck shift solenoid.
Does it shift from one into two ok?

If it does, the B solenoid may be stuck in the operate condition.

You have 2 shift solenoids, A and B
Gear one has both operated
Gear two has B operated and A released
Gear 3 has both released
Gear four has A operated and B released.

If the shift from 1 to 2 is ok, I would look at the shift solenoids

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
And.... if there is anything electrically wrong with the tranny you should get a check engine light and codes. If it's a mechanical failure then there wont be any codes. Most electrical problems can be fixed rather easily, mechanical problems require a rebuild.

Good luck

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
And.... if there is anything electrically wrong with the tranny you should get a check engine light and codes. If it's a mechanical failure then there wont be any codes. Most electrical problems can be fixed rather easily, mechanical problems require a rebuild.

Good luck

Al
OP states this is a 1993. This is an OBD1 System.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts