GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Silverado I bought used last yr. last month, i started having issues with what I'm assuming is the transmission (not a car/truck guy). the truck will start up and run fine as long as its kept at a constant pace. if I have to slow down after driving it for a while, when I step on the gas, i hear I weird noise coming out of it, and the truck wont move. I put it in park and let it sit for a while and it will get up and go once again. the guy at oreilly's said the transmission is shot and it letting it rest allows everything to settle, and work correctly. hence the issue.

is this true regarding the transmission? or can it be something different like maybe the computer needs rebooting?

sorry for the vagueness, I'm not a car/truck guy. thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
You may be low on fluid; but that would not account for the noises.

Check your owners manual for a procedure to check the fluid level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trans fluid should be between the low and full mark at the temperature of 190 I had the same problem on my 2016 Silverado and the shops won't do nothing about it that why I traded my off for a 2018 camaro it's got the 6speed standard and has a v6 and run good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is 190 the normal running temperature? I checked it after running it for a bit and it's at full. can there be too much? I havent messed with the transmission fluids since getting it so I'm assuming it's been at that level?

I was trying it out again and itll get into reverse and move but getting it to move forward is the issue. as long as I step on the gas lightly it feels like it gets into gear and moves, but once I speed it up or slow down, it stops again.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
How many miles? Seems odd a four year old truck has a tranny issue? Was this beat to death by the previous owner?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
driving it 20 miles then check the tranny fluid at a gas station .. level ground and put it in park to do the stick level check,, I have a scan gauge plugged into my vehicles. normal fluid temp {pan] air temp 50-80F is 170F in pan ,,, if you drive it 20 miles.fluid level should be be below the full mark and above the add mark.
if the fluid has air bubbles it sure can be a transmission problem.. air will cause shifting problems.. O rings / valves can cause it.replace the transmission fluid/filter clean pan every 40K miles...
over the years GM in my vehicle work some transmissions were loaded with a lot of mess.. another vehicle looked very clean .. I do my fluid changes @the first 20K miles.. then 40K miles of use.
never had a failure . always check the fluid condition and level/leaks..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it has just under 88k. not sure on the previous owners. got it in a trade in.

I'm not sure if the fluids have been changed or the maintenance on it as it was used. I'll see if I can muster up the courage to get it 20 miles driven, to check the fluids. as i feel like its happening more often now.

do you think doing fluid changes now is a moot point? or worth a shot?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
GM states in the owner service manual that you must change the fluid at 100K miles .. LOL...
well this is a truck not a two seat car...
trucks must do the fluid/drive trains every 40K miles .. why would GM state the 100K ???? reason is GM wants you the owner to buy a new truck because of the failures.
transmission/front rear diff's and the transfer case.
GM tricks out owners on how to do fluid changes.. you drive on hill area/air temp 90F/girl friend weighs more than 300 lbs. use it for any towing ? well that is why it must be serviced at 40K miles..

·
Registered
788 Posts
If it was my truck, I would change the fluid, take the pan off and have a look inside, also replace the filter. This is the first place to start. Refill with the correct synthetic Valvoline tranny fluid. ($)
Which transmission is this, is this the 6L65
I have a 2016 WT 4x4 5.3 6L65. Tranny temp never exceeded 150 (even on hot Wisconsin summer)
I do know that some folks have had problems with these trannys. One guy s tranny would run hot, got it replaced under warranty..
Also, there is (was) a firmware upgrade (when truck was new IIRC) and some folks have had problems with tranny not shifting correctly and hunting.
Mine, works MINT. (Still original fluid 28K)

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
With only 88 k miles, wouldn't that be covered by the factory warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll give the fluid changes a try. the check engine light popped on and I was able to get a code reader. the codes P2723 and P0796 popped up. which Is a solenoid and hydronic pressure issue?

any knowledge on that? is that an expensive fix?

I was under the impression that the 100k warranty ended in 2015. all 2016 and up have 60k warranty. go figure...

·
Registered
15,160 Posts
I was under the impression that the 100k warranty ended in 2015. all 2016 and up have 60k warranty. go figure...
That an "impression" that could cost you a lot of money.

The 2020 trucks have a 5yr 100,000 mile powertrain coverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Every 2016 and newer Chevy passenger car, light-duty truck, SUV and crossover comes with a 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty. In addition to the warranty, you get the 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program, the Courtesy Transportation Program, and much more.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Probably have to replace the transmission pressure control solenoid inside the pan. It could be stuck open or coil is bad. Check trans wiring first for loose or frayed wiring before pulling the pan.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'll give the fluid changes a try. the check engine light popped on and I was able to get a code reader. the codes P2723 and P0796 popped up. which Is a solenoid and hydronic pressure issue?
so your problem with these codes means that the valves are sticking NO NOT an electrical problem..
try this fix Amazon.com: Niteo Motor Medic M1410TF Synthetic Automatic Transmission Flush - 10 oz.: Automotive
the process is suck out 8OZ of transmission fluid from the stick tube, using a pump bottle with a 3/8 inch plastic tube. then start up the engine and slowly add this product. then keep it running and put it in drive then reverse several times then drive it for a while see if it works.. then after a few hundred miles set up the pan drop clean pan new filter and this should work.. those codes reveal sticking so can be particulates in the fluid. lookup the proper tranny fluid in your truck.GM may have changed what the spec is .... could be a dexron VI or another new update on what to use in it.

I had a erratic delayed up shift from 3rd to 4th gear on my 1996 Impala.. I do the fluid changes every 20k miles. well it was about 17 yrs old, the original owner and the fluid looked perfect, level etc all good. so I checked out the proper additive to correct this issue .. many reported this works.so I did it and it still working like new after I put the bottle of it in the tranny.
when I did the fluid pan drop after a few hundred miles pan was perfectly clean filter clean .. I used mobil synthetic transmission fluid in 1999....I was told not to use dexron III it turns to acid...
bought this baby in nov 1995... still running strong ..
post back how it works out on your truck..

·
Registered
15,160 Posts

Every 2016 and newer Chevy passenger car, light-duty truck, SUV and crossover comes with a 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) transferable Limited Powertrain Warranty. In addition to the warranty, you get the 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program, the Courtesy Transportation Program, and much more.
Guess you lost the roll of the dice, sorry.
Looks like they went back to 100,000 a few years later.

Perhaps at that time they bumped the '16s warranty up to 100,000.
It's worth a phone call

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, it's like they knew something was wrong with their transmissions over 60k for a while so decided to drop the warranty lol.

I'll try out the fluid see if that helps.

anyone have any idea what the pricing would be fixing the solenoids?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
try that additive I posted . it does clean up the torque converter and valves ..then change the fluid after a few hundred miles.
look up the replies on that cleaner how well it worked.
post back ..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts