GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Suburban K1500 4l60e trans. The transmission is not shifting properly. The engine will red line taking off If I let off the gass pedal momentarily it will sometimes shift. I checked the fuse it is good but I am only getting 4-5 volts at the fuse. Shouldnt I be getting 12+. I checked the fluid it smelled horrable. I changed the fluid & filter and it changed nothing. Any help would be great.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE: Transmission problems

Smelled like burned almonds?

Trany is toast, get a new one.

Sorry but from the sounds of it it is not good.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Not sure, Bad ground on trany maybe.

Bring it in to a trany shop for a free inspection and get an estimate they may be able to tell you.

These new tranys have more electrical crap in them than a electric sub station. They have electrically operated relays, solenoids, and other stuff i wonder how they work at all.

But the bad smelling fluid is a sign of burnt clutches.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Rave04 said:
What will cause only four to five volts at the fuse?
Which fuse are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
What kind of ans. is that?

All fuses are labeled, what does it say it's for?

If its not on the box itself it's on the inside of the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
20 amp is that what you mean?

My 94 does not have numbers on the block just what it goes to, check your owners manual for what the fuse goes to.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
As I said before bring it to a trany shop and have them check it out, but I'm sure from what you said the trany is shot.

You will need to replace it or have it rebuilt. Check on dealer prices for a goodwrench, that way you have a lifetime warrenty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fuse is #20 which on the fuse cover is the transmission fuse.
Thanks for the idea about the goodwrench tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Good luck and make sure I am right about that warrenty, it's supposed to be lifetime on any goodwrench parts but just make sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Transmission problems

Rave04 said:
I have a 95 Suburban K1500 4l60e trans. The transmission is not shifting properly. The engine will red line taking off If I let off the gass pedal momentarily it will sometimes shift. I checked the fuse it is good but I am only getting 4-5 volts at the fuse. Shouldnt I be getting 12+. I checked the fluid it smelled horrable. I changed the fluid & filter and it changed nothing. Any help would be great.
Thanks!
I might be a little late, but my 97 was doing the same thing. Doesn't shift hard when it's cold, but only after it warms up. Changing the fluid & filter didn't fix the problem. I thought it was toast as the fluid was almost black again. You might have noticed the fluid bubbling on the dip stick. I have a friend who owns a tranny shop in Tennessee. He said there is a problem with the valve body. A piston gets tight and wont slide. Gm wont acknowlege the trouble for fear or having to do a recall and the trans shops usually know they can sell a rebuilt rather than an easy fix. (or they dont know about it) He told me this: If your trans is not going into overdrive (lockup), then drive in 3rd gear. this will save the tranny. When you have it in OD position, and it doesn't lockup, the tranny will not cool, but you force it to cool when driving in 3rd. I drove it 150 miles to his shop, I had to drive in 3rd gear the last half of trip, he removed the valve body, he had a special reamer and hand reamed out the hole, put in a bigger piston, put the valve body, new filter and fluid and I haven't had a problem with it since Feb 05. So good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.