GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone had any tranny troubles with their GM Truck, SUV or Van?
new chevy parts www.gmpartsclub.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 700R4 in my 87 K1500 pickup was replaced twice during the time my dad and I had it (approximately 60,000 miles. Never been a fan of that tranny...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The 700R4 in my 87 K1500 pickup was replaced twice during the time my dad and I had it (approximately 60,000 miles. Never been a fan of that tranny...
None except when the wife tried backing the old horse trailer up our driveway, and reverse gave out at 197,000 miles. The burb, and trailer got stuck diagonally in the driveway. Luckily with the use of a tree, a log chain, and a come-along we got our driveway back...lol

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I had a 92 Olds Cutlass years ago and the tranny exploded for no apparent reason. Left a hole in the side of tranny the size of a football. Man I was P/O'd I wasn't horsing it, just driving along. That cost me $2500. See I'm still P/O'd about that. I'm banging the keys as I'm typing.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I had a 92 Olds Cutlass years ago and the tranny exploded for no apparent reason. Left a hole in the side of tranny the size of a football. Man I was P/O'd I wasn't horsing it, just driving along. That cost me $2500. See I'm still P/O'd about that. I'm banging the keys as I'm typing.

Relax.....breathe in...count 1...2.......breathe out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
95 K1500

My 95 K1500 Suburban has 185K on it and I have unfortunately had to have it rebuilt 3 times. I only had to pay for 2, the third time was under warranty. I bought the truck with 70K, had rebuilds at 108K, 144K and 155K. If I would have known I was going to have this problem, i would have bought a brand new trans at 108K

The truck has the 460le transmission. I have had several people tell me that this tranny is not tough enough for this truck. It has an external cooler.

I really haven't towed that much with the truck, and take pretty good care of the truck.

Other than this, the truck has been strong, engine is fine. The front end hasn't given me any problems. Just your standard wear out items; alternators, water pumps, plugs, wires, etc

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm looking at tranny problems soon in my 95 1500 suburban. Not sure what transmission is in there but it slips going from a stop to 1st and when it downshifts into first its a loud CLUNK! Not looking forward to replacing it but its coming soon at 187,500. Not even sure if the previous owner ever replaced it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ive had plenty of gms in the family, and only two have cam with problems, 1) cousins Lumina with a 4t60e tranny exploded (apparently the o/d extension housing explaoding is very common.) and on my moms van (this thing has been a lemon since day one) they just replaced the friggin carrier! and i mean its a 50 year old woman driving it that just doesnt happen!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Same tranny, same problems in my 87 blazer:no:

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
twice

98 k1500 4x4, rebuild twice. First time not my fault, the second was definatly my fault. I make it short, Ditch, snow,thinking to myself "i know i can get through that" Nuf Said!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Rebuilt at 186,000 by PO

According to the receipt the PO had my(for 8 days) 1998 suburban trans rebuilt at 186,000 miles.He said it was the 1st rebuilt(I believe him-he took good care of it).
I sure couldn't complain about 186,000 miles on an auto trans.On any car/truck, I would be happy(well maybe not happy depending on where it croaked) for the trans to last 150,000 miles.
Luck,
Charlie

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 97 GMC Jimmy tranny 4L60E went out 2 times in 160,000 miles and have went throw 10 or so 700R4's in my service trucks in the past 5 years all 2nd and 3rd gear problems

1 - 13 of 13 Posts