GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I’m thinking I should have never messed with it but I just did a transmission filter change on my 06 Silverado. Now my truck takes long to take off from a dead stop and when I put it in drive it makes a clunking noise. Oil level is good. Did I mess something up ?

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
555 Posts
Oil level or transmission fluid level...?

Honestly sounds like you might still be low on transmission fluid if it JUST started.

·
Registered
962 Posts
First time fliter/fluid change?
How many miles since last fluid change?
What ATF brand did you fill it with?
Did you measure how much fluid came out and went in? Maybe just low as Opal mentioned.

I just helped a friend with a 2003 Silverado 1500 with 180k miles do his first fliter/fluid change with no issues. The fluid was dark and used to shift hard on 1-2. It actually made the shifts smoother.
He used Valvoline DEXMERC synthetic (DexronVI).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oil level or transmission fluid level...?

Honestly sounds like you might still be low on transmission fluid if it JUST started.
Sorry yes transmission fluid level is reading that it’s good, it was rough in between shifts and the fluid was black. After 1st she rides smooth and shifts gears smooth it’s just first gear that takes a while to engage into second

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First time fliter/fluid change?
How many miles since last fluid change?
What ATF brand did you fill it with?
Did you measure how much fluid came out and went in? Maybe just low as Opal mentioned.

I just helped a friend with a 2003 Silverado 1500 with 180k miles do his first fliter/fluid change with no issues. The fluid was dark and used to shift hard on 1-2. It actually made the shifts smoother.
He used Valvoline DEXMERC synthetic (DexronVI).
Truck just hit 200k and I got it at 199k from my father. He’s had it for about 10 years and didn’t keep up with maintenance for not oil changes. So now I’m replacing parts here and there before something messes up or does more damage if any. I used a 7qt drip pan and it nearly filled it up and after putting 7 more qts after filter change the level is reading fine but now I ran into these problems.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
555 Posts
After 1st she rides smooth and shifts gears smooth it’s just first gear that takes a while to engage into second
Part of the problem with changing out old, OLD transmission fluid is the likelihood it shakes something loose that was working. It's a hydraulic fluid, lubricant, and detergent, so you've basically introduced Dawn dish soap into a cast iron pan. It's super clean and shiny, but now the pan doesn't work as well. (Probably a poor analogy...)

My thoughts, and I am by no means an expert:
  • If you haven't driven for an extended amount of time in OD at highway speeds, you may still have voids in the transmission and torque converter, requiring more fluid. Given the approximate measure and what you put back in, this may not be the case. I would give the transmission a good workout, including some high speed cruising to pump up the torque converter, and then check the fluids again. When you get off the highway after about 20mins on, it may start slamming from 1st to 2nd...Enter different scenario.
  • Your clutch pack may be going. This would explain the burnt fluid and the slipping/delay into 2nd gear. If the vehicle was not properly maintained, regularly overloaded, and not using Tow/Haul under duress, the clutch out of 1st might be worn down from excessive slipping and soft clutch engagement. If you can deal with it for now, it will probably limp along for quite some time. Mine limped along with a bad (long and slow) shift from 1st to 2nd for about 6 months before the symptoms moved up to the rest of the clutch packs and required a complete rebuild/replace. (I opted for a remanufactured GM transmission.) I have no idea if the transmission was maintained properly prior to my purchase of the vehicle, but the fluid out of it was so dark I mistook it for an oil drain pan when I went to see the mechanic doing the work.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Truck just hit 200k and I got it at 199k from my father. He’s had it for about 10 years and didn’t keep up with maintenance for not oil changes. So now I’m replacing parts here and there before something messes up or does more damage if any. I used a 7qt drip pan and it nearly filled it up and after putting 7 more qts after filter change the level is reading fine but now I ran into these problems.
7 qts is not good .......................... you put in 5qts in then start up the engine on level ground then the tranny fluid will be in the cold mark below the hash mark. then drive it 10 miles park it in the level spot [gas station ] then keep engine on wipe stick off then do the check on the hash mark area a few times to be sure it is in the hash mark area.. if you are over the fill mark and air bubbles in the fluid you put too much fluid in it...
you must use Dexron VI ,,,,,,,,,,, DO NOT DEXRON III !!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU SAID fluid was black ... put transmedic in the tranny then after a few hundred miles change the fluid .transmedic will clean and restore the rubber seals . improves the shifting .valves can stick.
I have a 4l60 1996 Impala . my shifting was delayed from 3rd to 4th gear .. 10 MPH delay . transmedic worked . 7 years ago still running perfect ...
GM trucks have to change the tranny fluid 40K miles.and the rear diff gear oil and drop the diff cover to clean up the mess ..

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would assume that there were still about 7 quarts of dirty black ATF left in the torque converter, lines and external cooler mixed with the new ATF when you got done. That's not bad, just drive it for now and plan on doing another drain/fill later. There could still be some clutch particles hanging up in the valve body shift valve spools since you said it was shifting hard before the fluid change. When I do the fluid change, I pump out as much old fluid through the external cooler outlet line with the engine running and shut engine off when I see bubbles in the clear plastic line.

Or you can try jcat's suggestion to add a transmission fluid additive. Nothing to loose there for a 200k mile tranny.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the help! When I was doing my filter change I was having trouble getting the pan out so I dropped my exhaust and was able to get it out, well I ended up breaking two solenoids. Costed me $200 for the repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So now I’m thinking I should have never messed with it but I just did a transmission filter change on my 06 Silverado. Now my truck takes long to take off from a dead stop and when I put it in drive it makes a clunking noise. Oil level is good. Did I mess something up ?
You have a 4L60 transmission, when reinstalling the pan you most likely knocked off one of the connectors to the shift solenoids at the rear of the valve body , it will cause the trans to default to 3rd gear , a common occurrence if your not aware. Remove the pan and check.

·
Registered
962 Posts
So, Mark, you got it fixed by replacing the valve body solenoids?

When dropping the pan, I did not have to remove the exhaust that's in the way. I just remove the transmission support hex nut, jack it up and put a 1 inch shim between support and cross member to get enough space to pull out the pan without damaging the valve body parts.
I also unbolt the shifter cable bracket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts