GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! I have an 02 Silverado that has about 126K miles on it. I've never had the transmission filter changed. Should I? And if so, should I have them use the same fluid or replace it with all new?

I do tow a small bass boat, andI live in a hilly area. I'm afraid not to have it changed, but I'm equally afraid of changing it. I've heard that if you haven't changed it, don't. It might loosen up some crud ein the tranny that could cause a failure shortly thereafter.

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are going to change it do like you said and drop the pan change the filter most people do the flush which loosens stuff up that is in the filter then they have their failures. Personally I wouldnt do it I would drive it till it fails on the same fluid with 126K its bound to happen soon anyway even if you change the fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
If your gonna change it do a power flush. They run about $125 but it does a good job of pulling out all the built up trash.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yea I would just run it till it fails... I learned the hard way to not change your fluid if it hadn't been done for a long time.... $2000 later for a trans rebuild adn I was not happy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my 2000 chevy 2500 series back from transmission shop, I now have a new torque converter.
I have the 4L80E transmisssion and had the transmission service, full flush at 60K with differential oil changed at that time, now have 80K on truck.

I tow a RV with truck and my transmission oil was very clean since I had it serviced, the problem was a mechanical issue with 2000 model (weak) torque converters and not lack of service.

Its hard to say about your transmission, guess its a mute point at this time, but why did you not have the transmission serviced at about 60K since its such an expensive part of your drive train?

If the transmission is performing well, no problems, I would just drop the pan, change filter and refill with oil, if you experience no problems, then in about 10K I would drop the pan again, drain oil replace filter and by the time you do this the third time you will have change most all the oil in the transmission.

I would not recommend a flush as you have not properly serviced the transmission.

Just my 2 cents!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts