GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, before I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid. Can someone tell me that changing the fluid might help this problem. This happens in all gears, when I start from a dead stop the vehicle will hesitate then lunge forward. If I go really easy on the throttle it will not do it. Would this be a transmission problem? Or would this be a rear end problem? A friend said that it might be the rear, but I wanted to ask on here first.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Sounds like the transmission slipping. There is no guarantee a fluid change will correct this problem, most likely it wont change anything at all. But it's worth a try and a lot cheaper than having a shop repair your trnsmission.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
what kind of truck and mileage? have you changed the fluid before?? I agree that it sounds like the trans is slipping. however, if the trans has not been serviced in a while sometimes changing the fluid does more harm than good. when you drop the pan and drain it only about 30% of the fluid comes out. the new stuff you put in mixes with the old and changes the environment in the trans causing it to fail. I know this from experience. so if it has been serviced properly it cant hurt to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid but if not a shop may be your only bet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does the engine rev up when you accelerate from a stop?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of truck and mileage? have you changed the fluid before?? I agree that it sounds like the trans is slipping. however, if the trans has not been serviced in a while sometimes changing the fluid does more harm than good. when you drop the pan and drain it only about 30% of the fluid comes out. the new stuff you put in mixes with the old and changes the environment in the trans causing it to fail. I know this from experience. so if it has been serviced properly it cant hurt to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid but if not a shop may be your only bet.
I do not know the true mileage on the transmission. It has 161,000 on the odometer, the engine has 100,000 on it (according to the seller) so the transmission is up in the air. As far as service goes I too have not clue, the fluid is getting a darker red look to it and smells a bit (burnt). I have not done anything as of yet, I have the filter and 5 quarts. I have heard that I can disconnect the trans cooler lines and pump in all of the fluid for a complete flush.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
you may be out of luck on this one... it couldnt hurt to go get one of those power purge things that completely flushes the trans.. i forget who has them tho

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hate to say it, but it sounds like it is going...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts