GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the Suburban and most American cars, I normally only buy German. Growing family and lack of large German cars, and a great deal on the suburban here I am. First question is how to identify the what transmission it has. It is a 1993 chevy suburban 4x4 automatic. Second right now it wont shift from 2nd-3rd, any ideas? Someone said it might be a solenoid. TIA

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The 93 has a 4L60E, aka M30 transmission. You didn't mention how many miles your burb has or what the overall condition is.

Transmission repair is not for the light hearted. If you want to try an inexpensive fix, have the filter and fluid changed. Get a couple of cans of Sea Foam Trans Tune from the local parts store and treat the trans before and after the filter change. Otherwise I'd see a transmission mechanic you trust.

·
Registered
533 Posts
what exactly does this sea foam do .. i keep hearing about it but it's $$$ as heck

·
Registered
561 Posts
$6 a can is $$$$? i get it by the case. it is one of the best cleaners i ever used. i found it working on motorcycles and it would clean what other stuff would not. i run the burban to 1/4 tank and put one in the gas tank and i pull the vacc booster line off the brake booster or any other large vacc line and i pour a can into the line and let it stall the motor out and let sit for 15 min the restart it. it will smoke real bad and you will swear it will never stop but it does. most often 6-20 min will clear it out. this removes the carbon out of the intake and other PCV crud. i do this each 6 months.........mike

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
$6 a can is $$$$? i get it by the case. it is one of the best cleaners i ever used. i found it working on motorcycles and it would clean what other stuff would not. i run the burban to 1/4 tank and put one in the gas tank and i pull the vacc booster line off the brake booster or any other large vacc line and i pour a can into the line and let it stall the motor out and let sit for 15 min the restart it. it will smoke real bad and you will swear it will never stop but it does. most often 6-20 min will clear it out. this removes the carbon out of the intake and other PCV crud. i do this each 6 months.........mike
....Ditto!!:glasses:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts