GM Truck Club Forum banner

Travel Trailer Towing Help with 1/2 ton

10K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  kevindsingleton 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am looking to purchase a travel trailer for the family (wife + 2 young boys) that will be towed with my 2009 1500 crew 4x4, below are some of the specifics:

3.42 gear
6 sp transmission
max trailer weight - 9,500lb (has HD cooling / towing package)
GCWR - 15,000lb

I was looking at a Prime Time Tracer 2910BHS with the following specs:

Length - 33ft
Dry Weight - 5,536lb
Hitch - 589lb
Cargo Capacity - 1,734lbs

I am very new to the RV'ing world. For the most part we intend on keeping the RV at a campsite for most the season but may take it on week long trips now and then, my guess is that I will only physically be towing the trailer 10-15 days each year. On the surfuce I think I should be ok with this setup but would love to hear from people experienced with towing RV's (or towing in general). Any thoughts or concerns with the above combination?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

A couple of items to look at would be......Brake Controller(A Must)......Rear Air Bags, will help with rear sag and handling.....and going with a Larger Transmission Cooler.....I have a thread on installing a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler, to replace the Small Factory Transmission Cooler....to help with lowing Trans. Temps when towing.

#3 ·
I think he has the 5.3L Mike.
Tony, the package sounds good. You're in the GCVW. The 3:42 gears will be ok since you have the 6 speed. If you've never towed before, be prepared for windy conditions. Travel trailers are greatly affected by wind because they have so much surface area. Also you need to be attentive when loading your trailer as far as where you distribute the weight because you can add or subtract tongue weight & that will have a big effect on how it handles.

#4 ·
Tony, the package sounds good. You're in the GCVW. The 3:42 gears will be ok since you have the 6 speed. If you've never towed before, be prepared for windy conditions. Travel trailers are greatly affected by wind because they have so much surface area. Also you need to be attentive when loading your trailer as far as where you distribute the weight because you can add or subtract tongue weight & that will have a big effect on how it handles.
Your Correct Stehpan....on the OP having the 5.3 liter.

#5 ·
What Size Engine to you have??......For get this Question, I was looking at the wrong infor.LOL...LOL,

A couple of items to look at would be......Brake Controller(A Must)......Rear Air Bags, will help with rear sag and handling.....and going with a Larger Transmission Cooler.....I have a thread on installing a Larger Aftermarket Transmission Cooler, to replace the Small Factory Transmission Cooler....to help with lowing Trans. Temps when towing.
Thanks, are you saying I should go with a larger cooler than the K5L option currently on it?

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Thanks Stephen, I am currently researching WD hitches and anti-sway bars and hoping this will help with wind. Have any recommendations that would work well for me?

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks, are you saying I should go with a larger cooler than the K5L option currently on it?

Its would be something to keep in mind, I also have the Factory Tow package......which includes the Transmission Cooler....and I was seeing Trans. Temps.....around.....180....190.....and sometimes over 200 Degrees when Towing my boat, after replacing the Factory Trans. cooler with the Aftermarket....True Cool 40K Trans. Cooler, I'm now running trans. temps.....at 140...150 Degrees now when Towing my Boat.......a Drop of 40/50 Degrees.....Which is Huge, as Heat is the Single Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission's.....

Here is my Thread on the install of the the True Cool 40k Cooler,
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?70799-New-Transmission-Cooler...WOW

Edit:...I would add that a Weight Distribution Hitch which will Most likely Come with the Travel trailer would also be a item to have(keep in mind),

Link,
http://mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

#7 ·
Tony, I think with the WD hitch & anti sway bars on it, you'll have very few problems unless you have real high cross winds. When those are set up right, they tow very straight.

Hot Rod, He's quoting GCVWR (combined) which is the GVWR (truck weight + payload in the bed) plus what weight trailer GM deems acceptable for him to tow behind it

#8 ·
Yeah, he specced Gross combined vehicle weight and you specced gross vehicle weight. The GCWR is the max weight for both the truck, cargo, and any trailer weight combined. But, that would still only put his GVWR around 5500 pounds.

#9 ·
Agreed,
I saw the "C" after i posted... then quickly deleted:no:
Guess you guys are fast!

I've never been able to find my Max trailer Weight listed anywhere. My Owners manual shows 9600lbs for my truck with 3.42 gears, but nothing for my 3.73.

#10 ·
It should be on your drivers door label HotRod. It will be the GCVWR, minus the GVWR

#12 ·
It should be on your drivers door label HotRod. It will be the GCVWR, minus the GVWR
its not for some reason. I've checked like 3 times. the door sticker just shows GAWR and GVWR.

Owners manual has 5.3/3.73 max trailer at 7700lbs, But it shows 5.3/3.42/tow-haul-pkg at 9500lbs. mine is 5.3/3.73/tow-haul-pkg. My understanding is the 3.73 should give me more than the 3.42, but there doesn't seem to be any data to back that up. So i just been assuming i have as much as the 3.42/tow-haul-pkg.

Heartbeat: 4spd with tow/haul, more info in my sig.

#13 ·
You're right HotRod. I just went & looked at mine & it's not on there either lol. I forgot that I had to do the math to get the "C" :)

#14 · (Edited)
Yeah, he specced Gross combined vehicle weight and you specced gross vehicle weight. The GCWR is the max weight for both the truck, cargo, and any trailer weight combined. But, that would still only put his GVWR around 5500 pounds.
GVWR is 7,000lb
GAWR (both front and back) is 3,950lb

When I bought the truck (out of state) I had to weigh it to get it registered and it was 5,440lb (can't remember if I was sitting in it or not at the time), but I'm guessing this puts the rear axle weight at around 2,700lb and this would give me about 1,200lbs for the trailer hitch and additional cargo in bed to reach my axle limit so I think I should be ok there. Here are my assumptions:

5,440 truck
450 me, wife & 2 kids
600 hitch
5,536 trailer dry
2,000 cargo in truck bed/trailer (don't think actual cargo will be this much)

With the above assumptions I am still under the 15,000 GCWR and I think I'm ok with the rear axle limit and truck wont be over the 7,000 GVWR and total trailer weight is not at 9,500 either. Anyone please speak up if I am missing something...

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Its would be something to keep in mind, I also have the Factory Tow package......which includes the Transmission Cooler....and I was seeing Trans. Temps.....around.....180....190.....and sometimes over 200 Degrees when Towing my boat, after replacing the Factory Trans. cooler with the Aftermarket....True Cool 40K Trans. Cooler, I'm now running trans. temps.....at 140...150 Degrees now when Towing my Boat.......a Drop of 40/50 Degrees.....Which is Huge, as Heat is the Single Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission's.....

Here is my Thread on the install of the the True Cool 40k Cooler,
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?70799-New-Transmission-Cooler...WOW

Edit:...I would add that a Weight Distribution Hitch which will Most likely Come with the Travel trailer would also be a item to have(keep in mind),

Link,
http://mrtruck.net/wdh.htm

Heartbeat, read your links at work today, good stuff but I got a question for you. You say your temp would get 180/190 and sometimes over 200 when towing your boat so I paid attention to my temp guage on my way home tonight and it was right at 210 the entire time, didnt budge. This got me a little nervous so I pulled out my manual and it said that the temp should be at 210 or below (which made me feel better) and I should be concerned if it gets up over 260 when towing, this got me wondering why I am at the levels with normal driving that you are when towing. Think there is any reason for concern for normal driving to be at 210?

thanks

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Tony, I think with the WD hitch & anti sway bars on it, you'll have very few problems unless you have real high cross winds. When those are set up right, they tow very straight.
Thanks that makes me feel better, I have my eye on the equalizer, seems like it will accomplish both WD and sway all in one shot, but I do research everything to death so will prob look at more options out there too.

#15 ·
Heartbeat, read your links at work today, good stuff but I got a question for you. You say your temp would get 180/190 and sometimes over 200 when towing your boat so I paid attention to my temp guage on my way home tonight and it was right at 210 the entire time, didnt budge. This got me a little nervous so I pulled out my manual and it said that the temp should be at 210 or below (which made me feel better) and I should be concerned if it gets up over 260 when towing, this got me wondering why I am at the levels with normal driving that you are when towing. Think there is any reason for concern for normal driving to be at 210?

thanks

Tony....before installing the Aftermarket Trans. Cooler, my Trans.Temps were between 140/150 when driving down highway, not towing.....and when towing my temps as I mentioned above between 180 to at times 200.....in the 99" Owners Manual......it expressed that it is Normal for Trans. Temps to have a Operating Range from 100 to about 265.....

So my Trans. Temps were with-in the range mentioned above, but I was Not Comfortable having my Trans. running at those Temps....so next to installing the Aftermarket Cooler, I've done 2 other Mods/Upgrades to my Transmission.....the 1st was going with Synthetic Transmission Fluid and the 2nd was replacing the Factory Steel Transmission Pan, with a Aluminum Finned Deep Transmission pan, from Mag-Hytec(Link Below).......next to the Aluminum finned also being a deep pan it holds...3-1/3 quarts more than the Factory pan......my Trans Temps dropped to 10 degrees.....to around 180/190......and now with the New Larger Trans. Cooler my Temps have Not gone over 150-Degrees!!.....when towing my Boat......take a look at the Mag-Hytec link below....it has a Chart that shows Transmission Life Relative to Fluid Temperature.

Mag-Hy-Tec,
http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

For me installing these aftermarket parts have help with reducing my Transmission Temps......when towing and for me it is peace of mind.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks Heartbeat,

Have one more rookie question thats confusing to me, when I see a trailer's dry weight (or shipping weight) listed at 5,536 and the hitch weight at 589 (in this example), I was adding these together in my calculation and treating the trailer as being 6,125. Im now starting to question this, does the 5,536 figure already include the hitch weight and perhaps the only reason for listing it separately is to show staying within 10%-15% of trailer weight and for rear axle weight calculation?

Also, if i am going to be using a weight distribution hitch, do I still need to include the hitch weight in my rear axle calculation or maybe just 50% of it since it will now be spread across both axles?

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help and I really appreciate it.

#17 ·
Thanks Heartbeat,

Have one more rookie question thats confusing to me, when I see a trailer's dry weight (or shipping weight) listed at 5,536 and the hitch weight at 589 (in this example), I was adding these together in my calculation and treating the trailer as being 6,125. Im now starting to question this, does the 5,536 figure already include the hitch weight and perhaps the only reason for listing it separately is to show staying within 10%-15% of trailer weight and for rear axle weight calculation?

Also, if i am going to be using a weight distribution hitch, do I still need to include the hitch weight in my rear axle calculation or maybe just 50% of it since it will now be spread across both axles?

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help and I really appreciate it.
Tony.....that's not a rookie question that's a Very good question.....I would say that the weight of 6125lbs, as you are adding both of these 2 weights to the load your going to be Towing......

Below is a Link, that talks about WD and Hitch Weight, this may have the correct answers to your Questions,
http://www.traveledlanetrailers.com/trailering101/trailering1b.htm

#18 ·
Tony.....that's not a rookie question that's a Very good question.....I would say that the weight of 6125lbs, as you are adding both of these 2 weights to the load your going to be Towing......

Below is a Link, that talks about WD and Hitch Weight, this may have the correct answers to your Questions,
http://www.traveledlanetrailers.com/trailering101/trailering1b.htm
I was thinking that too except 589 is only 8.5% of 6125 but its 10.6% of 5536 and puts it in that range, would it make sense that a manufacturer would have a hitch weight outside this range?

#19 ·
I was thinking that too except 589 is only 8.5% of 6125 but its 10.6% of 5536 and puts it in that range, would it make sense that a manufacturer would have a hitch weight outside this range?
Tony.....the following information is from the 2011" Siverado Owners Manual....The Trailer Tongue Weight (A) should be 10 percent to 15 percent of the.....(Total Loaded Trailer Weight).....up to a Maximum of 600 lbs (272 kg) for the 1500 or 2500 series....

And up to a maximum of 750 lbs (340 kg) for the 2500 HD or 3500 series with a weight carrying hitch. The trailer tongue weight (A) should be 10 percent to 15 percent of the total loaded trailer weight, up to a maximum of 1,000 lbs (453 kg) for the 1500 series and up to a maximum of 1,500 lbs (680 kg) for the 2500, 2500 HD or 3500 series with a ......(Weight Distributing Hitch).......

Tony, the way I'm reading the above information......is to get the 10% percent to 15% percent is based off of the .....(Total Loaded Trailer Weight) with a Weight Distributing Hitch.......where does the.....586lbs from Hitch fit in here??.....I'm sorry I don't use a WD Hitch for Towing my Boat.....hopefully one or more of the members who use a WD Hitch will give some insight.

My question is where does the Weight of the WD Hitch fit In???

#20 ·
When travel trailers list their total weight, that's the total actual weight of the trailer. The tounge weight usually is around 10% of the total trailer weight. For example, my camper weighs 9000 pounds minus cargo and has a tounge weight of 900 pounds. They way you distribute your cargo in the trailer affects the tounge weight, and of course adds to the total trailer weight.

#21 ·
I tow a 28 foot camper behind my '09 1500 (5.3L, 4 speed auto). The camper lists at 8k lbs. I have a weight distributing hitch, and a brake controller, and a sway brake. It still moves around in the wind, but you learn to compensate, especially when big trucks pass. The trans temps reached about 215 on a recent trip, with ambient air temps in the 90 degree range, and engine coolant running over 210, but not 220. That's up and down some major hills, and with a significant load in both the camper and the truck. I'm going to add a better trans cooler. That's a little too hot, for me.

The worst of it is, my towing MPG runs about 8! The new tires (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (with Kevlar)) actually cost me about 1 mpg over the factory ATs! Ouch!

#22 ·
I tow a 28 foot camper behind my '09 1500 (5.3L, 4 speed auto). The camper lists at 8k lbs. I have a weight distributing hitch, and a brake controller, and a sway brake. It still moves around in the wind, but you learn to compensate, especially when big trucks pass. The trans temps reached about 215 on a recent trip, with ambient air temps in the 90 degree range, and engine coolant running over 210, but not 220. That's up and down some major hills, and with a significant load in both the camper and the truck. I'm going to add a better trans cooler. That's a little too hot, for me.

The worst of it is, my towing MPG runs about 8! The new tires (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R (with Kevlar)) actually cost me about 1 mpg over the factory ATs! Ouch!
Your Camper's.....8,000lbs is that Dry Weight, without Food and Gear......and what Rear Gears do you have??

#24 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that's wet weight. I'd have to check for details. 3.73? I don't really know.
If the 8,000lbs is including Supply's.....meaning Food and Gear etc........the Tow Ratings for a.....2009" Ext or Cew Cab 4WD 1/2 Ton with the 5.3 liter W/4L60e and either 3.73 or 4.10 Gears has the Following Tow Ratings,

.....With 3.73 Gears......Max Tow Rating Weight is......7,500lbs and the GCWR is....13,000lbs
.....With 4.10 Gears......Max Tow Rating Weight is......8,500lbs and the GCWR is....14,000 lbs

.....if you have 3.73's.....your over limits of what your Truck can Safely Tow and if you have the 4.10's you are Close to the Limit's of what your Truck can Safely Tow .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.