GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Rebel Bowtie recommended in his previous post, I looked at my heavy duty trailering package with KNP auxiliary cooler in my 2001 Suburban. Factory auxiliary cooler is tiny.
So I went ahead and bought the Tru-cool 40k cooler and went ahead and fabbed some aluminum brackets to pre-install it.
Rebel is right. It will replace the tiny stock cooler.

Still remains to be piped in.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Definitely want to see this when it's finished! That's impressive.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought the transmission line quick connect fittings online from Napa and 3/8" straight connector compression fitting to complete the install.
Part numbers:
Napa Autoparts: GM transmission line connector, Part# 730-4953, 5/8" x 3/8" NPTF, 2 pcs.
Home Depot: Everbilt 3/8" coupling, compression type, PN LFA-110, 1 pc.

Will get started piping it in tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This morning, went ahead and did a transmission filter and fluid change. Not a whole lot of fuzzy build up in the oil pan magnet which is a good thing. Since the factory cooler is exposed, I also flushed out the old fluid inside the torque converter, radiator and tiny cooler. I just disconnected the driver side cooler line and attached a hose to a gallon jug. Run the engine and watched 2 quarts of the dirty fluid fill up the jug then stopped the engine. Fill up 2 quarts of new fluid thru the dip stick tube. Repeat until new fluid comes out and stopped.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cooler is plumbed and tested. No leaks. Took me one hour with the cooler already pre-installed with brackets.
The cooler came with a warning that any leakage due to wrong tightening procedure on the quick connect fittings will not be covered under warranty. The right procedure is to use two wrenches to keep the cooler fitting connection from getting twisted causing the aluminum header from cracking at the fitting base.
So be sure to use two wrenches to tighten when installing the fittings on the cooler.

Total cost to install.
1. 1 - Tru Cool 40k cooler, no bypass thermostat, Ebay: $142.28. I chose the no thermostat because the fluid goes to the radiator first then to the cooler.
2. 2 - GM transmission line quick connector Part# 730-4953, 5/8" x 3/8" NPTF , Napa Auto parts: $18.77
3. 1 - Everbilt 3/8" coupling, compression type, PN LFA-110, Home Depot: $14.45
4. 4 ft. 3/4" Aluminum square tubing, Home Depot: $19.23
Total: $194.73

I have a camping trip to Ochlockonee State Park in Florida in October and I'll know if it makes a difference in transmission temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have this installed in my suburban 2005 2500HD and trans temp remain always below or about a third of the gauge, even in heavy stop and go traffic here where i live.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you know what is the equivalent fluid temperature (F)?
My 2001 has no trans fluid temp gauge but I'm planning to put a digital one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would you know what is the equivalent fluid temperature (F)?
My 2001 has no trans fluid temp gauge but I'm planning to put a digital one.
In my case, i don’t pull a trailer, the average trans temperature is around 120 to 140 Fahrenheit.
Originally, my instrument cluster doesn’t have a trans temp gauge, i bought a used one from ebay with a gauge. I wanted to watch my temp specially during heavy traffic commute in our city, which is like a crawling 1hour to get to my destination which is about 9 miles 🥺

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after 3 weeks of local driving, I can say I don't like the way it drives due to the cold transmission fluid. It feels sluggish. I can feel hot fluid coming into the tru-cool heat exchanger coming from the radiator TOC. But the fluid coming out of the tru-cool and going back to the transmission is hardly warmed up.
I have not pulled my 6k pound camper yet to see how it behaves. But I have a trip coming up first week of October.
I think I may need a transmission fluid thermostat especially during the cold winter months or my mpg will suffer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts