GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up a trailer to my truck and realized that the right turn signal on the trailer was not working. I checked the wires on the back of my truck were you hook the trailer wires next to my truck hitch and noticed that the wire that controls the right turn signal does not work on my truck. Does anyone know were this wire comes from and how can I fix it? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A little help please

I hooked up a trailer to my truck and realized that the right turn signal on the trailer was not working. I checked the wires on the back of my truck were you hook the trailer wires next to my truck hitch and noticed that the wire that controls the right turn signal does not work on my truck. Does anyone know were this wire comes from and how can I fix it? Thank you in advance.
I can take a look under my Silverado, but what model and year is yours?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Maybe I didn't ready your message right, but I think it's more likely that the trailer light or wiring went out. For example, I just lost the right light on my trailer as well because the connector running from the light to my plug got cut.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I would check the trailer wiring.
I'm sure it's not the case for you, but we had a six pin round plug that one of the pins got pushed in a slight bit, because it was slightly out of alignment. The result was that we wouldn't have brake lights on the trailer. The connector looked fine at a glance, so we never thought that was the problem, and kept chasing the wires.
The point I guess I'm trying to make is to thoroughly check everything.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'm at work and can't verify this but I can remember having a similar problem with my trailer when the lights on one side were not working. I went as far as changing bulbs and then discovered that under the hood in the fuse box there are left and right trailer fuses. I found that the left trailer fuse was blown and that was causing the prob. This was on my wife's 2001 Suburban so check it out. After that I started making sure the vehicle was not running when I plugged in the trailer lights because I feel the DTR lights being on caused the fuse to blow because of the arcing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm at work and can't verify this but I can remember having a similar problem with my trailer when the lights on one side were not working. I went as far as changing bulbs and then discovered that under the hood in the fuse box there are left and right trailer fuses. I found that the left trailer fuse was blown and that was causing the prob. This was on my wife's 2001 Suburban so check it out. After that I started making sure the vehicle was not running when I plugged in the trailer lights because I feel the DTR lights being on caused the fuse to blow because of the arcing.
Thank you, I will check out the fuses as soon as I can. I have a 2004 silverado 1500 and didnt even know that there were fuses that were connected to the trailer lights from the truck. The problem is definetly on the truck side I took a voltage meter to the truck plug and this is when I realized I had no power from the truck to the trailer when I make a right turn. Thanks everyone I will keep you posted. :happy:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Thank you, I will check out the fuses as soon as I can. I have a 2004 silverado 1500 and didnt even know that there were fuses that were connected to the trailer lights from the truck. The problem is definetly on the truck side I took a voltage meter to the truck plug and this is when I realized I had no power from the truck to the trailer when I make a right turn. Thanks everyone I will keep you posted. :happy:
I should have said that before but through proccess of elimination, I also found no power at the truck plug for the left lights so I checked the fuse box diagram under the hood and found trailer fuses there. Hope it works!:great:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the problem was a blown fuse just like dwill3015 suggested. The fuse ia located in the fuse box inside the truck in the dashboard next to the driver door. Thank you for helping me :whip: the problem.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Well the problem was a blown fuse just like dwill3015 suggested. The fuse ia located in the fuse box inside the truck in the dashboard next to the driver door. Thank you for helping me :whip: the problem.
Glad it worked out to be a simple fix. I could not remember which fuse box it was in but knowing the one under the hood had more, I guessed that one. :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Yukon XL and was having a similar issue with the trailer lights when I came across this post. I looked under the hood in the main fuse box and sure enough it was a blown fuse. It was the trailer stop rt fuse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts