GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to automatic transmissions and have recently purchased an old 80 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. The transmission is already failing, reverse does not work any longer. I am trying to find a used rebuilt tranny and have a few prospects, however I believe there is a difference between the turbo 350 for 4wd or 2wd? Also, the one I am interested in states in the ad it's a 'long shaft'. I have no idea if I have a long or short shaft and how to go about making sure whatever turbo 350 I get will work with my truck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
If memory serves me correctly if your truck has a 208 transfer case it should be a long shaft tranny, if it has a 203 or a 205 it's a short shaft, that is of course so long as someone hasn't changed it, it is a chevy truck ya know! The easiest way to tell would be to crawl under it and see what transfer case is there, I may be wrong about this but if I am I'm sure someone will correct me. So just be careful when buying a tranny that you won't have to use an adapter and change your drivelines, the best way to get a new one is to junkyard it and get one from the exact same truck as the one you have. There is a difference between a 2wd and 4wd tranny, the 4wd tranny has a different tailshaft so that the transfer case can bolt to it. A 2wd tranny is made so that the driveline will slip right into it. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
You are completely right about the different tail end on tranies on 4 wheel drive vehicles and 2 wheel drive vehicles..

Also a 1980 truck with a bad trany is not out of the ordinary. It’s a 27 year old truck. Have you ever seen a clutch in a standard last 27 years?

PS

When buying any used tranny, smell the fluid. If it smells like burnt almonds, chances are the clutches are shot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts