GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been kicking around the idea of turboing my 350. The purpose would be to get better fuel economy. I would like to create a relatively small amount of boost around 2k-2.5k. Not sure but if I can get away with no intercooler that would be best, I would probably use a water/meth injection to cool because there might be a time or two where I would like to go WOT. Obviously this wouldn't be my only mod or anything, there would be an entire list of stuff I also have to do but, what do you guys think?

-Chris

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Chris. I know turbos are great for diesels to increase mpg's but I don't think so on gas engines. What year truck and how many miles on it?

·
Registered
902 Posts
the whole idea of forced induction is that the more air you move the more power you'll build, bit more air needs more fuel. so i dont think its going to boost your mpgs, especially since most afprs are just rising rate types....your going to be dumping gas in like you wouldnt believe. gas engines dont boost the same as diesel, cus diesel can run extremely lean, 200:1 @ idle on some. remember that diesels use compression to make combustion while a gas engine requires an air/fuel mixture near 14.3:1 to get a good burn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think the Cruze- with a 1.4 liter 4 cyl- uses a turbo for improved FE.
However it uses the turbo to allow the use of a small motor so it gets good efficiency at low loads- say producing the -20-30 hp it takes to hold 45-60 mph, but also is capable of accelerating decently since it can produce 130 or so HP when needed.

I don't think it will work-to get better FE- as an add on with stock gearing.
The idea is to run low RPMS but with large throttle openings so the pumping losses are lower. A 350 at 2500 RPMs WOT- no turbo motor is probably making 100 hp?? 100 HP will drive our trucks to 100 mph. You need to have big throttle openings at 1700 rpms or so.
It might work for towing really heavy- say using 100 hp at 2000 rpms - probably have to regear, and it would be tough on the rest of the drivetrain.
Interesting idea, but tough to do-especially with a spark motor- pinging etc- like you mention with the water or methanol injection.
Charlie

·
Registered
191 Posts
i think your crazy, no disrespect but their is no way i would get more MPG by putting on a turbo, i would always want to hear that thing sing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts