GM Truck Club Forum banner

Is this a waste of money?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 LT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 99 Suburban K1500 LT with the 350 5.7. What I'm looking to do is a full drive train rebuild. I feel like I'm missing some valuable parts though and I'm looking for input on what I might need. I'm looking to turn it into an overlanding rig and to make it very dependable. I also want to keep the fuel injection system so that's why there's no carb or new intake manifold listed in my build. I'll list out all the parts (no links just names) I'm putting into it and I'd love to hear suggestions about what I could do differently. I'll start out with parts for the engine bay:

Bosch Spark Plugs
MSD Ignition Cables
Accel High Performance Distributor
Edelbrock Cam, Crank, and thermostat
Eagle Street pro pack (pistons, rings and all that jazz)
Taylor Cable intake manifold spacer
K&N Cold air intake
Trans-Dapt throttle body spacer
Fi-Tech 95mm throttle body
Hooker Truck Headers
Flowmaster Super 50 exhaust
I'll be making fuel lines myself out of steel braided PTFE and AN fittings so no worries on extending those.
Summit brand rocker arms and lifters
Possibly a new timing assembly?
ACDelco oil pressure sending unit/ sensor
ACDelco O2 sensors
Fel-Pro complete engine gasket kit

Now for the transmission, I'll be sticking with the 4L60E, but it's in desperate need of a rebuild. It looks like the PA Cargo trans rebuild kit is rated highly but I'm also thinking of just going with a rebuild trans from TRQ. Any experience with either of these I'd love to hear about it. I also have a few other items for the build that I'll list below.

Superlift 4" lift kit
Moog steering stabilizers (trying to figure out how to fit two in just for the hell of it)
Cardone Heavy Duty CV axles
Bushwhacker style fender flares
BFGoodrich KO2 DT tires 33" (I currently have Goodyear AT/S on it and they're ok.)
Just did a full front brake system rebuild, and I'll be making extended brake lines for the front to be used with the lift kit.
Trail Ridge tow mirrors (I accidentally got the non heated version so this time around I'll be getting those)
Will fabricate some mud flaps to work with the oversized tires
Adding in rocker panels in the rear to eliminate debris build up in suspension
Making new inner fender splash guards for the front to accommodate new suspension and height
Has newer alternator, starter, and battery, so no need for those
HNC bumpers for front and rear along with light bars included with them

Wow that was a lot of typing. Let me know if you have any suggestions, criticisms or advice on this build. I'd love to hear what y'all have to say!

Registered
Many... All Gm
Not my money, nor my rig... Or the way I would go. Good thing we aren't each other huh 馃槈 if you are looking for reliable and lifted whilst "overlanding" and you must stick with the 60E I strongly suggest a "kited" 60... Servos and shells included. What gear ratio are you planning to run? 456 would work well... 411 would be acceptable... I am NOT a fan of bosh plugs go NGK or Delco (iridium, with no pucks) not sure the edlebrock distrib will do much for you but... Not against it(though I prefer modifying the delco) The oe box will flow enough air and keep it cooler change your filter (free flowing is k&n true flow...), change your plumbing (between box and elbow non corrugated smooth inner walls, there is some hose that is similar to marine exhaust it's not marine exhaust but similar) plug your baffle and drill out as much as you are comfortable with behind the passenger headlight bracket (where your fresh air comes in) unless you want to lift your fresh air intake (snorkel or just raise above the headlights) I don't think the spacer will do much for you either... Unless you put the tb out near the headlights (as you don't need to create fuel / air velocity, just air ...) Updated micro injection would help (torque) if you don't already have. Watch your cam and rocker lift ratios 1-6 or 1-7... (Reason 1. common engine building sense 2. If you go beyond the ecms ability to efficiency run the engine) on that note, I'm a big believer in 0411 ecm swaps. Why wouldn't you do a timing kit while it's tore down? Well, just my .02. 垄 you asked 馃槈 and nobody replied yet, mabey this will get the ball rolling.

Registered
1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 LT
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the advantage of iridium plugs? They're not exactly my area of expertise. Also what Edelbrock distributor are you talking about? I'm using the Accel high performance made by Holley. The air intake is also what you are talking about, its a smooth straight shot from the air box to the intake so not losing anything there. Also I'll have to look into the ECM swap, looks like it would help performance greatly. As far as the timing kit goes it's probably best to go ahead and replace it like you said.

Registered
Many... All Gm
I meant accel, that was my fault.
The plugs, none really other than, as long as everything is burning correctly it's a much longer interval between plug changes. 馃榿

Registered
Based on friend's experience, I'd stay away from the Fitech unit. A friend installed one on his 1985 F150 build and had nothing but trouble out of it. Even the hotrod shop in town that was supposed to know all things Fitech couldn't get it right. Truck would run for a day or so and not start or crap out a day later. He switched to a Holley Sniper EFI unit and hasn't looked back. Not sure if that will work or not but it's worth considering. Could have bought the Sniper when he was trying to save money and saved 6 times what he spent on that Fitech...

Registered
So I've got a 99 Suburban K1500 LT with the 350 5.7. What I'm looking to do is a full drive train rebuild. I feel like I'm missing some valuable parts though and I'm looking for input on what I might need. I'm looking to turn it into an overlanding rig and to make it very dependable. I also want to keep the fuel injection system so that's why there's no carb or new intake manifold listed in my build. I'll list out all the parts (no links just names) I'm putting into it and I'd love to hear suggestions about what I could do differently. I'll start out with parts for the engine bay:

Now for the transmission, I'll be sticking with the 4L60E, but it's in desperate need of a rebuild. It looks like the PA Cargo trans rebuild kit is rated highly but I'm also thinking of just going with a rebuild trans from TRQ. Any experience with either of these I'd love to hear about it. I also have a few other items for the build that I'll list below.
Count me in with the people recommending against keeping the 4L60E considering your requirement of "very dependable". With all the work and money you're putting in, IMO it's crazy not to swap to a 4L80E. It fits in that truck with no issues and any programming issues are going to be the same as required to get all the new EFI and other gear talking anyway. Since you're budgeting a rebuild anyway, go pull a decent 4L80E from a local junkyard and have IT built and toughened instead. Guarantee this will cost you less dollars and headaches in the long run.
Other than that your plan looks good.

Reactions: Zach Smith
1 - 6 of 6 Posts