GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im trying to finish up my system and today i picked up some tweeters, i have a couple questions though. am i going to have to drill new holes and mount these somewhere else? i tried fitting them in the factory piller brackets and they dont work. if anyone has any write ups for how they did it for a NBS it would be greatly appreciated. i have a 2009 silverado crew cab.
-luis

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could get double sided tape or you could drill holes. What ever you think looks cleaner. I have mine sitting about my deck in my 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic. I ran the wires to the door speaker wires behind the deck and tapped into them. It looks funny with them just sitting there but it would be like a better preformance thing because they are facing right at me.

-Chad

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
You don't already have the factory tweeters there? Ok then first off are you just adding the tweeters to your factory system? (Mids) If you don't have the factory holes the best thing to do would be to just get some velcro and place them at diferant areas around the door and piller area. see what sounds the best. (hint) Close to the Mid should sound the best, you don't want a high pitched sound Blaring in your ear. You want a sound like you are 10 feet away from a concert stage and you want full sound not just Highs..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
hey guys, im trying to finish up my system and today i picked up some tweeters, i have a couple questions though. am i going to have to drill new holes and mount these somewhere else? i tried fitting them in the factory piller brackets and they dont work. if anyone has any write ups for how they did it for a NBS it would be greatly appreciated. i have a 2009 silverado crew cab.
-luis
If its the small round tweeters I put mine in the doors near the mids.....yes it required drilling a small round hole in the door panels. I also have a set in the rear(I installed components) but we installed them in the headliner in the lower corners.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i would surface mount them to the trim piece that covers the mirror screws, cause replacing those triangle pieces gotta be the cheapest route if you ever decide to remove the tweeters

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would surface mount them to the trim piece that covers the mirror screws, cause replacing those triangle pieces gotta be the cheapest route if you ever decide to remove the tweeters
thats what i was thinking, but would it be too loud since its like right next to my ear?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Angle them towards the windshield.. Tell me what you are adding them to? What else is in your system?

·
Registered
539 Posts
unless you drive with you chin on the steering wheel you should be fine, most applications are there or on the a-pillars. plus it will give you a higher sound stage

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my truck came with the regular sound system not the bose. it has the pillar speakers installed but i thought i can get a little better sound by putting aftermarket ones in. i currently have a pioneer p4200dvd head unit and i just swapped out the doors with pioneer 350 watt 4 way's.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
If you already have the BLAIRING Pioneer 4 way door speakers you have 3 to many tweeters.. If you want better sound get RID of the pioneer speakers..Get a good Comp speaker (1 mid and 1 tweeter) Put them in the factory location and maybe an amp for them and you will be very happy..

With that set up you are getting NO MiD BASS AT ALL.. The radio only puts out about 18 watts RMS and those pioneer speakers want 30-50 RMS to even sound half way good.. but very bright... Look at eather Alpine,Kicker, Polk Or if you have a little more money Get a pair of JL Audio or Focal.. And please stay away from Best Buy...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you already have the BLAIRING Pioneer 4 way door speakers you have 3 to many tweeters.. If you want better sound get RID of the pioneer speakers..Get a good Comp speaker (1 mid and 1 tweeter) Put them in the factory location and maybe an amp for them and you will be very happy..

With that set up you are getting NO MiD BASS AT ALL.. The radio only puts out about 18 watts RMS and those pioneer speakers want 30-50 RMS to even sound half way good.. but very bright... Look at eather Alpine,Kicker, Polk Or if you have a little more money Get a pair of JL Audio or Focal.. And please stay away from Best Buy...
i bought these ones http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_27388_Pioneer_TS-A1684R.aspx not that long ago, so i'd prefer to keep them in for a little while, from what i've been hearing they dont sound bad to me... they deffinately sound alot more powerful.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Turn it up and all you will get is Distortion.. Trust me I've been selling 12 volt for over 20 years and working in the market. I am best of friends with the area Pioneer rep and he too will agree You are missing 2/3 of the sound...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turn it up and all you will get is Distortion.. Trust me I've been selling 12 volt for over 20 years and working in the market. I am best of friends with the area Pioneer rep and he too will agree You are missing 2/3 of the sound...
so what would you reccomend? i swap out all the speakers or just the front two? i mean it sucks that im wasting money but if that would make a big difference then i might do it.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ok well you did change the radio already. As I said it is only putting out about 18 watts RMS. because of the crossover and power of the new radio your factory speakers would have sounded better then the Pioneers..What do you listen to? How loud and clean do you want the sound? There is lots of info I need then I can set you up with something that you will like and within your budgit. Let you enjoy the sound for many years to come...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok well you did change the radio already. As I said it is only putting out about 18 watts RMS. because of the crossover and power of the new radio your factory speakers would have sounded better then the Pioneers..What do you listen to? How loud and clean do you want the sound? There is lots of info I need then I can set you up with something that you will like and within your budgit. Let you enjoy the sound for many years to come...
i listen to mostly hardcore rock, rap and techno, i want something that i can get pretty loud but still have a nice sound to it without being distorted, i picked up two of the kicker comp 10's a while ago(the yellow ones) and just havent had them installed yet. my plans in the future was to amp the subs and also the speakers.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
For what you want my old system you would have loved....All JL and I could turn it all the way up or to the min and still had Crisp,Clean and Great sound.. I had the JL Audio XR's all around and 2 12w3v2's in a custom box The JL 300/4 for the doors and 500/1 for the Subs.. It was a system that you could walk about 50 feet away and still hear the Mids.. It's hard to find a system that clean.. The guy who bought it lives in Va Beach and still tell me That not a single speaker or amp have ever blown and I installed that system back in 03.....He entertains people on the beach all the time....You can't do that with the BEST Pioneer speaker... The newer JL's would be the C5's.. If you can't aford them look at the Alpine Type R's Both would want 75wattsx 4 RMS.. So a good amp..

Ok now when looking at amps although some Co's say they will do 60-75 watts thats only at 14 volts.. And guess what?? Your truck will NOT give it 14 volts. It will give about 12.8 to the amp.. The JL / Amps are made differant it will give the rated power at 11.5-14 volts all day long..There are a few others that will do this too. When I build a system for eather myself or a customer I want to do it 1 time..If you can't do it all at one time Save don't buy cheap and plan on upgrading later.. Do it a little at a time. If not I can help you with a nice system for a good budget just let me know..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts