GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Chevy Tahoe 4x4

Looking to put new u-joints on, just wonder what joints are best (brand and grease-able or non-grease-able). And what’s the best way to R&R?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the Forum. Moog or Dana brands, greaseable if you like. There are opinions both ways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I’ve been watch a few video to get ready for the job, I’m on the fence about greaseable or non, AC Delco or Spicer.
After watching this guy, I’m thinking Spicer non-grease able. His technique is spot on, great if you can afford the tools.
This is a great set (7) of vids but long.

But I like what this guy did/does with Teflon coating. He uses a hammer, crude but seems to work. He uses ACDelco non-grease-able

This guy hammers them on too.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
151 Posts
We use Moog greasable. The guy who does my oil greases them for me when he does the rest of the lube job.

We've always done them with a hammer. One thing to be sure of is to release the tension you introduce by hammering in the end caps. This will cause binding and eccentric load paths. Very easy to do with the aluminum shafts. You can usually release this by striking the area around the new end caps. This vibration will let the system release. You can verify this by turning them by hand at various times through the process.

I do highly recommend getting the right size punch to push them out. A socket works in a pinch. A vice and a second set of hands makes this job fairly easy.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I usually use a "C" clamp so I have a little better control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a good way as long as you have a big c-clamp. To buy a new big c-clamp would most likely be cheaper than a u-joint tool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A good 'ball joint' press will work, but best is a vertical hydraulic press if one s available.

regards,
jumpinjoe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts