GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 4WD Ext Cab
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Recently put Goodrich KO2's all around on the factory wheels. Has performed great, even when towing my 22' travel trailer (with anti sway hitch).

Recently drive it on a 1300 mile trip (not towing) with no problems. 2 weeks ago I had the tire shop install APEX air down valves and attached the factory TPMS sensors. First trip out towing, coming downhill, got the death wobble. The truck has about 75k miles on it and has been well cared for. I have an appointment with the dealer to check the steering parts.

Wondering...didn't do this before the valves installed...they were supposed to rebalance, but maybe I should check that? And, I'm interested in the Steering Stabilizer product and having it installed. Only happened once, but very scary. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Foot on the brakes?

If so, I'd suspect a warped rotor on the front
Seemed pretty strong to be a rotor issue. Vibration in the steering wheel as well as both front tires pretty strong. I will have them check the rotors--that was the dealer's first thought too. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will find out at dealer's inspection Tuesday. Meanwhile also bought a steering damper as I found the 2011's and forward don't have them. Will check for anything loose, check rotors, then install the damper and see if that's good. Thx.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
the tire shop installed the rim weights .. then the weights fell off ...
also the brake pads sprayed brake cleaner fluid,, acetone !!!!!!!!!!!!!! then the rubber / plastic parts breaking down ...acetone .

I use a temp heat gun ... look up the all brake rotors .. then probably the temp is around 110-160 F .. if the temp is higher on other brakes take it out and see if the pads are locked up..
GM uses china iron parts ,,the caliper bracket is rusted ...also the pads are china iron ..rusted ..lock it up on the bracket .
I do not use brake cleaner ,,,, I use electronic cleaner !!!!!!!!!!!!! also use silicone brake grease on the rubber components.

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 5 speed V8
39 Posts
"I do not use brake cleaner ,,,, I use electronic cleaner "
I use electronic cleaner when cleaning my guns. It leaves no residue.
Just be sure to oil parts you don't want to rust!

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
1988 C1500 Silverado, 5.7L with some go fast parts.
1,245 Posts
FWIU alignment can cause the "death wobble" too. I think caster does it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trailer hitch weight changed steering angles - lack of caster ? or something is loose allowing it to feed on its self. Trailer to ball mount, or hitch to receiver to loose. Lack of hitch weight.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,098 Posts
I have had warped rotors on my "09, a lot of vibration and wheel shake when they get hot
Have had rotors so bad they shook the truck hard enough to break the sway bar brackets under a 97 C2500. Miss that truck...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
WOW, I have had them bad enough to shake the truck, not break anything
Not my proudest moment. 😁 NAPA thought we were crazy when we showed up asking for that metal strap.

"Uh...Those don't break."
"On the contrary..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At my visit to the dealer, mechanic pointed out loose idler arm and suggested they also install a steering stabilizer. He agreed it was dumb of GM to eliminate this item (my truck year was the first to not have one, but they did leave the holes in the frame so easy to put an aftermarket damper in). Very pleased with the result: Towed 600 miles this week to Southern Utah and back with no problems at all. Goodbye Death Wobble. Thanks to you all for ideas and suggestions!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Someone post a picture of a factory steering stabilizer, please. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong part...

·
Registered
17,446 Posts
I've been thinking about your problem and thinking about my own experience.
My '09 has, on occasion, had a front wheel rotor warp. Everyone know the feel of a warped rotor when the brake is applied. Mine has a much more pronounced shake when I have a warped rotor, more than any previous vehicle.

After being involved with this thread, I am now wondering if a steering stabilizer might reduce the shake.

So @RDGerdes , if you could, would you provide some part and mounting details.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been thinking about your problem and thinking about my own experience.
My '09 has, on occasion, had a front wheel rotor warp. Everyone know the feel of a warped rotor when the brake is applied. Mine has a much more pronounced shake when I have a warped rotor, more than any previous vehicle.

After being involved with this thread, I am now wondering if a steering stabilizer might reduce the shake.

So @RDGerdes , if you could, would you provide some part and mounting details.

Thank you
Here is the Rancho version of the steering "damper" or stabilizer on Amazon -- https://smile.amazon.com/Rancho-RS5...&vehicleName=2011+Chevrolet+Silverado+2500+HD

And here is link to a video about installation. My neighbor put one on his Ford and said it was simple. You just have to know whether your truck model has the holes for the installation, or if you have to purchase a bracket that provides a place to mount the stabilizer on one end. Apparently, 2011 was the first year GM deleted the stabilizer (but they left the mounting holes in the frame). After 2017, I think, they deleted the hole and that requires the add-on bracket. I hope the video helps --
...and this was the most helpful video to learn about the differences in model years:
Good luck. I'm very happy with the stabilizer.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Apparently, 2011 was the first year GM deleted the stabilizer (but they left the mounting holes in the frame)
OK, this is the part I thought y'all were talking about. I'm confused by your mention of GM dropping them, since I don't know I've ever dealt with a stock Chevy that has one. Are these on rack and pinion models?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts