GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced my warped factory rail caps today. Couldn't believe what I found under the factory caps! They are not smooth underneath but have a number of tabs that clip into the top of the bed rail, much like the bumper pad. This actually pissed me off a little because the new caps were supposed to be temporary, I wanted to Line-X the top of the bed rails but after seeing this that idea is out the window!

The caps I used are without cutouts for the stake pockets to give a smoother look, I like the way they look but I'm still disappointed at G.M. for the design of the factory setup.
Time will tell if these aftermarket ones will warp up too, I hope not but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Holy crap Batman. I thought they were glued down with double sided tape. I agree with you. Big dissappointment that GM would do it this way.

·
4,781 Posts
WOW.....what were the G.M. designers thinking......It doesn't make any sense???.....Just like Stephan mentioned....double-sided tape is what I also was thinking......Adam the New Caps look Great!!.....as does the whole Truck!!.....:great:

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Yep, we found that out back when Chevy first came out with the 1500 crewcabs. We had a customer that wanted the bed caps painted. Someone, I'm not sure but I think it was Belltech that made smooth metal caps that could be painted. Its not just GM designers, Ford F-150 crewcabs were the same way.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
wowwww! what a disappointment!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How much were the bed caps? I would have gone to a body shop to see if they could cover those holes and paint over them resulting in a smooth painted bed rail.

I had my stake pockets "shaved" and painted....my truck didnt have bed rails(thank god)not sure if they would have to cut little pieces of metal and weld those up to fill each of those holes..they would with the stake holes but its fairly easy for them to do.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That's crazy. I never would have thought the factory bed caps would have that. I suppose if you really wanted to Line-X them, you could have those holes for the clips welded in and have the Line-X sprayed over, but that would most likely not be worth the time or the effort. I was looking at having my bedrails done with the bedliner already in place, and everyone around here wanted $350+, so that would add up pretty quickly if you needed to fill those holes too.

The plastic caps look good though. I considered that option for mine, but decided to leave it since I had seen many that fit pretty poorly. The ones you have look like they fit really well.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
And that is how they save a dime. I hate parts that clip in and dont really allow for a cheap mod to be done as a result. Those smooth caps look quite nice, and if they dont roll up they do make it look alot better!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Oh and when I replaced my tailgagte cap with a paintable aftermarket one, it was held on with those same clips and double sided tape.

So if you repalce it make sure the new one will cover all those holes !

·
Registered
902 Posts
why so disapointed? they WILL NEVER fall off like the taped ones do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts