GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would I have places on my rotors that are rusty? Its like the pads do not touch there?
My 04 only has 19.000 miles, and I thought it was from lack of use...however, I used her pretty hard over the las 2 weeks----thinking that the starting and stopping might clean off the rust and make the pads flat again.
Iguess I'll get them turned to clean them up, BUT, would like to avoid the same thing all over again.
Thanks, Guys, Mark

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see it alot down here in the Southern part of the US when cars and trucks come in for service with plates from NY and MI and all the rust belt states, I'm originally from Pa so I'm no stranger to snow and ice prevention. The calipers and hoses usually are in fine order. Pads are usually at 50%+, but the pads appear to only be working in the middle of the rotor with all the rust accumulating towards the outer edges of the rotor. I think the reason for this is because the manufacturers use soft metal rotors to prevent brake squeak. Usually you cant resurface the rotors because the rust pits are so deep, even on low mileage vehicles, that if you were to remove all the rusting, the rotor thickness would be well below discard spec's. Just put up with it, unless it's a safety concern, and plan on replacing rotors and pads soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts