GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which one would be the better upgrade. I have a 2000 silverado which already has a spot for the 2nd battery. Also which one would cost the least to do? Primarily my reason is because of my voltage drop everytime my bass notes hit im running about 1300 watts RMS in my system, but im pretty sure its an upgraded alternator that would solve that. And a second battery is really an entire separate power pack for any accessories for anything you hook up to it. And it really helps you if you like to play music with your truck off. This is all information i have gathered from other people. Id like some input if yall know the one that would benefit me more. And if possible the price differences
THANKS GUYS! :D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would upgrade the alternator, you can always add the 2nd battery later on if you really need it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are there any popular/ reliable alternator brands?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i agree with upgrading the alternator, but do you have a capacitor set up with your system now?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeas I already have a 1 Farad rockford capacitor but still drops on the beats And i would upgrade to a 2 farad but ive read so much stuff on whether capacitors really work or not and how its actually just another load on the battery and blah blah blah. Id kinda rather upgrade something else (like alternator or battery) that i know FOR SURE would help me that isnt in a debate constantly lol And speakers are the primary reason yes but also i do plan for 2 to 4 off road lights ad some back up aux lamps and etc. so thats why im in the debate between alt or battery

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
ok, just had to ask you know....it seemed to help when i had a system in my cherokee, but i dont think i was ever pushing what you are though....id say upgrade the alternator then, i wish i could help you on what brand would be best for that.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ok Ok First off Please stay away from Best Buy they love Selling (Making more money for the stores) Those dumb Caps..They don't do Crap!!!If you want to stop the lights from dimming hook your cap up to the Headlights.. That will stop them... First of What amp are you running? 2nd as for Alt's There is only 1! I will ever recommend Ohio Gererator. They are the best out there.. Sure there are cheaper ones out, But they don't have the Reliabilty or power that Ohio does. This is why 9 out of 10 competitors use them. What else are you running? Have you upgraded all the power and ground wires under the hood?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As of right now I am running an alpine m-1000 and an alpine F-300 on subs and speakers respectively. I am planning on getting some offroad lights and some aux back up lamps real soon and am currently making a switch panel for them. And i have not upgraded all of the power and ground wires under the hood but i intend on doing so because ive heard that the alternator charging wire is a weak link on many gm trucks. You must know more than me on that topic , so exactly which wires should I upgrade on my truck? all of them or just that one? And yeah that is exactly why Im not gonna buy another cap and waste money

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Check out WranglerNW.com, they also have great alternaters, but there proud of them$$$

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeas I already have a 1 Farad rockford capacitor but still drops on the beats And i would upgrade to a 2 farad but ive read so much stuff on whether capacitors really work or not and how its actually just another load on the battery and blah blah blah. Id kinda rather upgrade something else (like alternator or battery) that i know FOR SURE would help me that isnt in a debate constantly lol And speakers are the primary reason yes but also i do plan for 2 to 4 off road lights ad some back up aux lamps and etc. so thats why im in the debate between alt or battery
Ya capacitors dont really do anything but stop your dome lights from dimming and your headlights from dimming. If I was you I would put the second battery in and run it straight to the amp.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks sstoner that really helped

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
thanks sstoner that really helped
Was that sarcasm? I hate forums cause you cant really tell..... :) Just in case....

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/312025/page/1

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/21356-big-three-upgrade-=-waste-time.html

If it were me dont waste your time on a second battery unless you play your system with the engine off alot.

if anything upgrade the alternator, however, that still may not work to reduce dimming if you havent addressed "upgrading the big 3".

Reactions: mfleetwood

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL sorry about that sstoner It was NOT sarcasm it really did help :D
but yes I read the article and im definitely gonna do the big thee first asap!
Im gonna go 0 gauge just to be safe (cant go wrong that way) just pricey :/
Any one done the big three yet?
im hoping 25 feet of power and 25 feet of ground should be more than enough right? I mean i can measure if i have to (not hard) but if you know an estimate already let me know thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you know what now that i think about it...
I drive my truck everyday obviously and when i get in it normal voltage should be about ~14.2-14.5 give or take... well anyways day to day for the entire time im in it it will either be sitting at 14.2-14.5 or somedays it sits at 13.5ish (this is a visual reading) but the needle difference is noticeable either right above 14 or right below...
so that makes me wonder that the cables might be to blame???? and if so the big three upgrade is a definite must do for me!

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
You have to look at the readings at the amps.. They are seeing about 12.8 maybe.. You want a nice clean current. Alt to Batt box. Ground wire Frame to Body. 4Ga should be fine.. With those 2 amps Also all the wires going to and from the amps should be the same Ga..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh sorry I was saying that with disregard to the audio system. With nothing on it varies like that its regardless of the amps and subs whether they're on or off it varies that was what i meant. I meant like maybe it seems that upgrading my wires might do something good for me... just guessing... why else would it vary like that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a nations alternator I just installed today, 200 amp. I also changed the power lead to 4 awg and added a ground from the alternator mounting bold to the chasis 4 awg. before the upgrade the volt meter on the gauge cluster would go way down, ( to 1/4 of the whole range) when the bass hit. now it barely moves. i also have a 1 farad cap. I'm thinkin about removing it completely, good idea or bad?

·
Registered
902 Posts
id keep it a cap is basically an extra battery that holds extra power till its needed when the bass hits and the amp pulls more power

·
Registered
734 Posts
Caps just add more stress to the system in my opinion. Sell it and put the money towards a better ALT. Mechman(sp) and DC power are both good Alternators. I've only seen a couple people using Mechamns though. They all like them. Most of the people I've met use DC power. Thats probably who I'll be going with when I do the upgrade. If you're doing the BIG 3 I would do 0ga incase you decide to upgrade your amps or anything later on, plus 0ga isn't all that expensive. KnuKonceptz.com has power wire for a good price. I think you could probably do the BIG 3 with less then 20ft of wire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts