GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought them today and when i was looking at them before i bought them there was these waterdrop looking things on the rims and thought i could clean it up with this stuff i had for chrome cleaner "never dull" works great on my harley and on my exhaust tips on my truck. so i brought them home and tried to clean them up and they looked like complete ****. so i went online and looked up chrome stains and it looks like it could be salt stains or cleaner stains because its not like i can feel it when i rub my hand down the rim. i was wondering if anyone had this and what i could use to resolve this problem.. would really like to clean them up atleast a little bit.
thanks,
bill

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That sucks bud idk what you could do i also use never dull on the chrome bumpers on my truck and it works great. I think if it's salt and it's ate thru there's nothin you can do man. I hope someone could help you out and chime in!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks bud idk what you could do i also use never dull on the chrome bumpers on my truck and it works great. I think if it's salt and it's ate thru there's nothin you can do man. I hope someone could help you out and chime in!!
wow..i really wish it would clean up that would have been great... its not eaten through the chrome but u can see it u cant feel it tho

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The good news is that it can sometimes take a great deal of dilution to get rid of salt stains, and if you just keep washing them you may get rid of the salt. The bad news is that if the plating is perforated with tiny pits, corrosion products that look a lot like salt will form any time the wheels get wet. Are the stains a white color? This might be salt stains do you live where snow is and salt is on the road?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is that it can sometimes take a great deal of dilution to get rid of salt stains, and if you just keep washing them you may get rid of the salt. The bad news is that if the plating is perforated with tiny pits, corrosion products that look a lot like salt will form any time the wheels get wet. Are the stains a white color? This might be salt stains do you live where snow is and salt is on the road?
It's defiantly salt stains its like waterdrop looking

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i would use mother chrome polish and the mothers ball you put on end of a power drill...18v or stronger and will buff it out pretty well. Also it just depends on the stains, if the spots were rough to touch when you rub your fingers over them then the chrome may be "pitted" and the only way to fix that is probably replating them. I guess you don't have this problem so it might just take allot of polish and the ball on a power drill bud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would use mother chrome polish and the mothers ball you put on end of a power drill...18v or stronger and will buff it out pretty well. Also it just depends on the stains, if the spots were rough to touch when you rub your fingers over them then the chrome may be "pitted" and the only way to fix that is probably replating them. I guess you don't have this problem so it might just take allot of polish and the ball on a power drill bud.
They're not pitted I know what that looks like these are white water drop looking things

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just bought them today and when i was looking at them before i bought them there was these waterdrop looking things on the rims and thought i could clean it up with this stuff i had for chrome cleaner "never dull" works great on my harley and on my exhaust tips on my truck. so i brought them home and tried to clean them up and they looked like complete ****. so i went online and looked up chrome stains and it looks like it could be salt stains or cleaner stains because its not like i can feel it when i rub my hand down the rim. i was wondering if anyone had this and what i could use to resolve this problem.. would really like to clean them up atleast a little bit.
thanks,
bill
Billy I've 3

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have these same rims, hit a pothole and had one destroyed. I've been looking to either buy one or sell 3. Where did you buy your used ones from? 24" chrome bacarat phang

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
This thread is almost four years old. You may not get an answer.

Ted

·
Registered
542 Posts
buff them down and have them re-plated if you are big on those wheels, if it's salt damage, your stuck with it, if it got under the chrome, it will only get worse with time. Back in my chrome days, my final rinse would be with distilled water, and the leaf blower to get rid of hiding water, then a good polish.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I was reading the string and it sounded like someone might know chrome fairly well? I have a couple of chemical stains on the heads of my bike. From spraying it with chrome cleaner when it was to hot. But I just figured it was something I had to live with. Is their a way to remove stains from chrome?

Just asking

Thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use the blue mothers billet polish for both billet and chrome, a detailer showed me the trick, put it on think, work it, then follow up with several cleaning cloths, keep polishing till the cloths are clean. I am picky bout my bike, it has to shine like new chrome, and never ever wash a hot bike and use chemicals.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts