GM Truck Club Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My truck is a 2011 5.3L with 6 speed transmission. It has the manual shift mode.
I bought a Range and has been very satisfied with it. I bought the Range when my truck had only 20k miles. Now it has 51k miles.
We'll see how tough this DOD engine is with the AFM disabled. My 2001 Suburban already has 215k miles.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
In about 3 years I'll be swapping between v8 and v4...cuz thats when I plan to buy a diesel jetta to park next to my duramax! (chevy's fault for discontinuing the cruze diesel)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
<snip>
In fact, on the '13 and up trucks, the V4 mode will kick in at idle.
I wonder what that would do to a nickel balanced on edge on the dash? I remember an old commercial (Buick?) in the '50s with a nickel balanced on the dash to show how smooth the idle was.

Hey Al, how are ya?
M5 = manual selected 5th gear.
The 6 speed transmission has a manual selection.
The dash display has PRNDM
The gear select lever has a paddle shifter to select the gear (if I select 5, the transmission shifts normally up and down between 1 and 5, but will not shift into 6.
You don't need to be in Tow/Haul.
Yeah instead of true manual mode you select the highest gear attainable. And I'm not sure but I think M1 is the only way to start in 1st instead of 2nd?

In about 3 years I'll be swapping between v8 and v4...cuz thats when I plan to buy a diesel jetta to park next to my duramax! (chevy's fault for discontinuing the cruze diesel)
Did they also cancel the Baby Max in the Colorado/Canyon?

Ted

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Did they also cancel the Baby Max in the Colorado/Canyon?

Ted
I wouldn't think so, this being the first year of it. I went on Chevy site a couple months ago to get a price idea for the Cruze and there was no diesel option, searched it and it appears 14 was the last year for it

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Hey Ted, your story about the nickel reminded me of teaching my girls to drive.
I told them to pretend there was a glass of water on the dash and to drive so it didn't spill, haha, they were fun times. Now they have teenagers of their own.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
great idea Ray! in 4 years my oldest will begin driving... im guna use that.

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
65 Posts
You know...I do have the lifter tick. It is a real thing and it blows....HOWEVER if I am easy on the gas and using cruse on my way to TC I can get 20-23MPG. Heck when I was going through the mountains I averaged 24. I got 24 going through Missouri. 5.3 AFM on the 2011 LTZ with the sunroof and two people with enough stuff to last a month.

If you don't have a scangauge get one. Fill your tank and drive normally. You can look at it's reading for MPG but it's the same as the one on the dash..IE useless. Now run 3/4 or half the tank..whatever your normal commute is. Now use the scanguge and turn on the TPS and realtime MPG and watch how the two work together. Watch how you can have the pedal just a hair more down but LOSE 4 MPG during a trip. It's crazy...the thing makes no more power getting 16mpg than it does 20.

Oh yeah fill up and divide the miles you went and gallons and blah blah you know the drill. You will see your average shoot up. The best I did was in my 2000 Ext Cab Silverado 4.8 which was a 99 which apparently had a slightly different cam than a real 2000..anyways I got that to 27MPG and averaged 25 a tank. Not bad for what it was.

I bought this Avalon a little while back and it changed my driving style too. Now I realize how terrible the 5.3 is for power. It's like two entirely different worlds for speed. I no longer try to go fast in the truck..it's just no fun anymore lol.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ted, I use M5 all the time and it keeps mine from going into V4; however, I've heard it no longer does it on the newer trucks (I'm going to say '10 and up). In fact, on the '13 and up trucks, the V4 mode will kick in at idle.
Well, I can say that with my '10 I could run in M5 and not have AFM activate.
I started with a Range module, and ended up getting a Diablo tune that I am running with now to leave it disabled.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Guys, just because you have done something to turn off AFM, you still need to watch oil changes and oil type. The poor design lifter I still there and (I suspect) they could still fail if not receiving clean quality oil.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guys, just because you have done something to turn off AFM, you still need to watch oil changes and oil type. The poor design lifter I still there and (I suspect) they could still fail if not receiving clean quality oil.
+1
I use the gm spec'd synthetic and change at 5K miles.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
hahahahah the best solution for me is to not buy one! hahaha I'm guna stick with the Old GM. when they built trucks, "Like A Rock!" my old Burb is now well over 333 000 miles and still purrs like a kitten! this good old and original 350 gets almost 18 MPG and I think that is just incredible, it more efficient now than what it was advertised as when new.

Reactions: j cat
21 - 32 of 32 Posts