GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! This summer I'm going to replace all the liquids in my cars: the automatic transmissions, the transfer case, the axles and so on. I've fixed my attention on two brands: Valvoline and Amsoil. It's very difficult to buy them in Russia (if we are talking about Amsoil it is extremely difficult), but reading this forum I got strongly persuaded in their quality. Moreover, I've been running with Valvoline synthetic multipurpose grease and it works awesome! It's a very difficult choice for me, because Amsoil costs a huge sum of money and is twice as expensive as Valvoline. But is it twice as high-quality? Do Amsoil produce real long life oils? I change motor oil every 3000-5000 miles, use only synthetic. I change other liquids every 25000-35000 miles. Can Amsoil really allow me to change motor oil every 7000-10000 miles and other liquids every 50000-60000 miles? If not, I'm for Valvoline. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Well Alex, I will help you the best I can.

99.99% of the people out there in automotive land have no concept of what shear pressure is, film strength, what's the purpose of 4 Ball Testing (ASTM D4172) or Timken Test nor know the coefficient of friction with oil conditions (only know oil viscosity and that synthetic is good).

For me the answer is super simple. But I will give you a brief overview on how to pick the best available oils in Russia.

It will be much easier if I give you hyperlinks for your review and research.

http://superoilcentral.com/synthetic-motor-oil-comparison/ (February 2013)

http://goodoil4u.com/comparative_motor_oil_testing.html (June, 2005)

http://www.bestsynthetic.com/best-synthetic-motor-oil.shtml (Same data as above 2/ 2013)

https://www.worldsbestoil.ca/royalpurple-vs-amsoil.php (no date given)

Old American saying, …."You pay for what you get".

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Alex, I certainly can not disagree with Rick; however, if your have fallen into the trap of changing your synthetic oil every 3000 miles, then it doesn't matter what oil you buy.
If your using the best synthetic you can buy (and I haven't yet looked at Rick's links) you can easily extend your changes to 10,000 miles
I don't use either of the brands you are asking about, I use Royal Purple.

EDIT:
Well, I just looked at the links.
And, although Royal Purple is good, I may be changing to Amsoil

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
3,000 miles on synthetic oil??? You must be rich!!!

The rule with us is about 10 to 12,000 miles on synthetic oils, check oil level once a month and have one of the best oil filters you can buy.

I look at how tiny (lowest microns) particles the oil filter can pick up on "first pass" of filtering, along with filter material and surface area.

Another thing I've been asking, ...can a Russian citizen get American / Canadian automotive products.

The answer was yes if you are willing to pay by electronic funds transfer (credit card), shipping, custom charges (tariffs) and anything else your government imposes. My thought would be shipping time to get something in your hands.

Personal Note: NEVER use the word "Trump" on your order, or our government will all over it like the KGB!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for help, especially for the links: I'll certainly study them! We in Russia have a forum called www.oil-club.ru. Guys from there discuss oils and analyse fresh and exhaust oils in laboratories. To make an exact analysis they describe the conditions in which the oil has worked. Unfortunately, there are very few analyses of Valvoline and Amsoil. But they show that in general no oil can work more than 6-7 miles in Russia.
As to me, I was mistaken not discribing the conditions before asking for advice. They are rather hard: cold temps in winter (sometimes -22F for some days or even weeks - have to warm up the engine no less then for 15 minutes), hot ones in summer (sometimes 85-90F for days or even weeks), short term trips and traffic jams, often sturts and stops of the engine, the everage speed is 15-17 mph. To my opinion, Dino oil can't survive in these conditions.
The economical point is also very important. I'm not reach, and it's very difficult to mantain a truck in Russia. We are twice as poor as Americans. So if you can buy an ACDelco filter in America for 4$, it really costs 8$ in Russia; for us it means 14$ as for you. But we have a saying: "A stingy man pays twice". For me the truck is not only a passion but also a tool of earning for living. That's why I try to choose between average and expensive synthetic. Fortunately they both have official distributors in Russia(far from me, unfortunately), so I don't have to ship them from the USA.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You forget, Alex, we have the very eastern part of Siberian Russia, ...called Alaska. Along with that, we have the southern portion of the artic vaulting down into the central provinces of Canada and American Dakota's for those Siberian warm temps. We're well skilled of having our azzess freezing here frequently.

Rule in Minot, North Dakota, (upper central state bordering central Canada) for people leave their motors run 24 / 7 / 365 to make sure their motors start. Nothing gets turned off in the Siberian cold!!!

I do understand about the prices in Russia. But I do find some Russians are very resourceful on getting good quality - cheap priced American products in.

As for 6 or 7 miles usage, ...someone is off their rocker!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, Rick that's why I order car parts in the US: usually at Rockauto and ship them to Russia. It's 1.5 cheaper than to buy in Russia, so I'm one of those resourceful guys. Unfortunately, it doesn't concern oils because you have to pay extra custo charging. It isn't profitable unless you are a businessman. Still can't understand your jokes about "Trump" (I know who he is) and rocket because my English is far from perfect. Explain them please:).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
President Trump is being investigated by a Democratic political party operative named Robert Mueller for the last 607 days for Russian collusion meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Funny thing is, ...everybody around Trump's private life is getting arrested for the littlest bull chit, ...and nothing to do with Russian collusion, nor have they found anything on President Trump in almost 2 years, ...similar to the KGB looking at Putin and his actions with America trying to destroy Russia. It's out fricken rageous!!!

The other part is, ... our entire media is trying to "brainwash" Americans with ideas that Trump is bad, making unprovable accusations. Blockading his presidential actions. One half the American citizens are arguing with the other half about Trump. If a 2 ring circus!!! Worse in my 66 years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick, thanks for the links. I've studied all of them except the last one - couldn't open it. The first one is the best manual for choosing oil I've ever seen. But I couldn't understand the last research of cost comparison: how they could have measured it. As to results Amsoil is the leader. But in Russia the prices are quite different. You can pay for a quart of Amsoil 5w30 no less than 17$, as to the Valvoline Synpower or Maxlife 5w30 it will cost twice as cheap, because Valvoline is blended in Holland. According to the tests Amsoil is 1.5 more effective but twice more expensive. So I'd choose Valvoline Maxlife (sorry Ray:)). Now I also can analyse exhaust oil tests made in Russia. Perhaps, I could have translated them into English to show, how American oils work on another continent. I am also going to choose an oil filter more accurately.
As to Trump it's a very unusual situation for Russians to understand. We have the opposite one. The opposition is in the role of Trump. If you mention "Navalny" - the leader of opposition, you may be banned.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Here is a re-application of the hyperlink you couldn't open: https://www.worldsbestoil.ca/royalpurple-vs-amsoil.php
If you can't open it, either cut and paste the link, or type it out manually in the search bar to get it to open.
Seeing the ".ca" designation might have something to do with it??? Chances are, ...there are "internet blocks" between Canada an Russian I.P. addresses.

Alex, ...in America we use the total cost per mile factors in determining what we're gonna use.

If you use any full synthetic oil, you can go up to 12,000 miles (19,312 kilometers) or whatever the oil states is the recommended distance. You follow that rule first! Then check the oil level ever 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers). Maybe every 6 months, "just" change the oil filter and replaced the oil lost. That is how I would do it if I were in Russia with those outrageous prices.

A quart of 5w30 full synthetic oil is $12.85 less taxes in American dollars or 860 Rubles, 46 kopiyka about less Russian fees / taxes.

Half of America are ignorant idiots here. You gotta know the American way of life to understand. Our entertainers, musicians and the rich people who live on both coasts are the problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Rick. I’ve understood the mechanism. For me from the economical standpoint it’s better to use Valvoline Maxlife for 6-7 $ per liter and a good oil filter. Luckily, there’s a discounting at “rockauto”. If I’d like to give my car better upkeep spending more money I’d use Amsoil signature series.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use the same brand of oil in my personal vehicles that I do in my commercial vehicles.... Schaeffer. They have been making oils and lubes longer than anyone in N. America. Since 1839, which is over 70 years longer than Mobil. And Schaefer even makes some products for Shell and Mobil. Have seen them doing that at the St. Louis plant when I was offered a tour there by the CEO at the time... John Schaeffer Shields. Schaeffer developed the lubes for the Apache Attack Helicopter and the M1 Abrams Tank. Schaeffer was listed a few years ago as one of the top 500 most technologically advanced companies in America. My commercial truck is just about to go over 1 million miles on Schaeffer and still only uses about 1 qt of oil in 11,000 miles. And that almost million mile motor is a factory reman, not even a 1st time use motor but a factory reman.

And it is the one brand that Amsoil always seems to avoid comparing itself to. Did see a comparison Amsoil did with their diesel oils about 15+ years ago that included Schaeffer, but Amsoil really doesn't want to play in that sandbox with Schaeffer anymore. And the Petroleum Quality Institute of America has checked Schaeffer and Amsoil along with many other brands, and Amsoil really has nothing on Schaeffer. There are a number of surprises regarding oil composition and quality at the PQIA site. No sacred cows there, just unbiased test results.

I ordered two cases of Schaefer 9003D 5w30 full syn along with my commercial order I put in last week thru my Schaefer rep and the price per case of 12 quarts was $76.92, or $6.41 a quart. A reasonable deal for a high quality oil. Anyone can buy the stuff, but do so thru a Schaeffer rep and not online or you will get raped by the price. A rep will sell to anyone at the same price that I pay. And any rep can sell to anyone in N. America. You can find a rep at the main Schaeffer site or I can steer you to my rep. I get no kickback or anything for doing so.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Rule in Minot, North Dakota, (upper central state bordering central Canada) for people leave their motors run 24 / 7 / 365 to make sure their motors start. Nothing gets turned off in the Siberian cold!!!
Wow. I lived in the interior of Alaska for 10 years ('82 - '92) and we never did that. The majority of the time there we had a 1979 Ford Bronco that used 10w30 conventional oil. Folks used block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery warmers, winter fronts, etc and we just plugged our vehicles in when we were at home and many workplaces also had plugins for employees. I don't recall a problem ever starting our vehicles, and in fact, with proper setup like I mentioned, they started like a warm summer day. And we had many times of actual temps below -50F. Heck, they wouldn't even close the schools unless the daytime "high" temperature was going to be below -50F. Those were actual temps. I rarely ever knew what the wind chill was. Of course it wasn't that cold every day of winter. It would come in bouts. Lowest I saw was -72F. Yes, the old Bronco started that morning. A little rougher than normal, but it did start.

Now that is cold. The folks in Minot really don't have it all that bad as many like others to believe. But I will admit, the plastic interiors of vehicles really get hit hard living in such cold. The center console of my Bronco looked like the victim of a tragic farming accident after dealing with those winters in Alaska.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, everyone! This summer I'm going to replace all the liquids in my cars: the automatic transmissions, the transfer case, the axles and so on. I've fixed my attention on two brands: Valvoline and Amsoil. It's very difficult to buy them in Russia (if we are talking about Amsoil it is extremely difficult), but reading this forum I got strongly persuaded in their quality. Moreover, I've been running with Valvoline synthetic multipurpose grease and it works awesome! It's a very difficult choice for me, because Amsoil costs a huge sum of money and is twice as expensive as Valvoline. But is it twice as high-quality? Do Amsoil produce real long life oils? I change motor oil every 3000-5000 miles, use only synthetic. I change other liquids every 25000-35000 miles. Can Amsoil really allow me to change motor oil every 7000-10000 miles and other liquids every 50000-60000 miles? If not, I'm for Valvoline. What do you think?

The Amsoil filter for the Tahoe is only a 15k filter, so don't go over one year or 15,000 miles between oil changes.

They have lots of different differential fluids for the Tahoe. Never neglect those. Those things are a real pain to replace if you let the gears wear out.

A friend of mine has a large fleet of delivery/service trucks. He's been using that Amsoil stuff for over 20 years. He told me that ever since he switched all of his trucks, he's never had a single engine or transmission failure. He told me that the receipts from all of the drivers are showing less fuel used, as he analyzes all of that stuff regularly trying to save money any way he can. I used Amsoil a while back and now I will be starting again for my next oil change. I used to be in a Camaro club years back and lots of the club members were complaining about oil consumption with Mobil 1 and other synthetics. Over time, they all started switching to Amsoil and the oil consumption either went away completely or it was hardly noticeable compared to before. I would highly recommend Amsoil over Valvoline any day of the week.

I found some good testimonials on Amsoil here. You can see that lots of those guys are serious engine builders. Look at the guys who even used it in their chainsaws. That stuff looks amazing. I'm gonna have to buy the tranny and dif fluid for my truck now before I get too many miles racked up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts