GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum and the proud new owner of an 07 (NBS) Silverado with the 6.0 engine and Z71 package. My question though involves towing...I presently tow a 29' salem travel trailer with a GVWR of 7600lbs and have noticed that the truck seems to struggle with this weight. The book shows the truck capable of towing 8500lbs (3.73 gears) but I have noticed it seldom, if ever will shift into OD while travelling (70+ mph) unless I am going down a grade or very flat ground. I had really expected it to tow better than this....I traded in a 95 F250 with a very high mileage Powerstroke and am trying to be realistic about towing but have wondered if anyone else has noticed less than desireable towing?

Paul

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Well you're only 900lbs away from the max tow limit.
Is that 7600lbs the dry weight?
Once you've loaded the trailer with all your camping gear, including propane bottles, a maybe a full tank of clean water, you may be over the 8500lb tow limit.

I have heard that in the interests of maintaining desirable mpg the engines really only tow up to their limit, with not much power in reserve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....the 7600lbs is actually the fully loaded weight...I ran across the scales several years ago and it weighed ~6400lbs as I typically travel. Hence my concern with the seemingly low performance. 367 hp seemed like a good amount for towing but thusfar it has been a little bit of a let down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts