GM Truck Club Forum banner

Walmart Doesn't Honor Tire Warranties

13K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  The Heater 
#1 ·
Bought My Bridgestone H/T truck tires 3.3 years ago from Wallyworld, which wore out prematurely.
They refused to pro-rate My worn tires, which did NOT wear to the miles figure as advertised.
Matter of fact, those tires didn't even make the halfway mark, as far as the tread/mileage was concerned.
All four tires had been rotated and re-balanced by their techs, according to schedule, for the last 3.3 years.
The store manager expected Me to wear My tire treads down to the cords, and compromise Our safety, and My Chevy Suburban. :no:
Only 250 linear yards from that Walmart store is the Tire Choice store, and they are now My automotive tire store.
They gave me a $150 discount, because Walmart screwed Me on the tire warranty.
Get this, while composing this rant, Tire Choice called Me and said hey.....You have a $50 rebate card coming from BF Goodrich. :glasses::glasses::glasses:

#2 ·
wow, walmart isnt some place i had ever planned on going for automotive help, and I dont think I ever will.

sorry they screwed you man. at least the other tire shop helped you out.

Alex

#3 ·
yeah I heard bad things about walmart and their tires as well...

#4 ·
theres a reason I use discount tire/americas tire. even they always look at me weird when I make them special order my tires and price match:lol:. they are a cooper dealer but never stock them. I always get the "why do you want those". thats usually the extent then they order them, but always have had great cs with them.

#5 ·
As a general rule, I try not to buy my groceries, furniture, lawn maintenance equipment, clothes and auto parts from the same store...

Glad the other place took care of you tho.

#6 ·
Tire warranties are available at all dealers who carry that brand. Did the new dealer give you warranty on your tires or just the discount?
I bet they filed the warrranty papers on them rather than just discarding them. This can be verified if you have the Dot numbers .

#7 ·
Well glad to hear it worked out for you and that tire store stepped up to help you out. We only have a few walmart stores around here that have the tire & lube express section. Sam's club has tires though and I wonder if they'd do the same thing. Could it just be that location? I mean if the tire is under warranty then it would be the manuf. replacing it right?

#8 ·
Well glad to hear it worked out for you and that tire store stepped up to help you out. We only have a few walmart stores around here that have the tire & lube express section. Sam's club has tires though and I wonder if they'd do the same thing. Could it just be that location? I mean if the tire is under warranty then it would be the manuf. replacing it right?
A you are correct. So any dealer who sells that brand can get the warranty handled. Sadly some will avoid the time it takes to file the proper paperwork just to sell new tires.

#9 · (Edited)
Tire warranties are available at all dealers who carry that brand. Did the new dealer give you warranty on your tires or just the discount?
I bet they filed the warrranty papers on them rather than just discarding them. This can be verified if you have the Dot numbers .

I think it was simply a discount in lieu of Walmart's refusal to honor the warranty.
Walmart also informed me they wouldn't install the new AC/Delco valve stems, either.
Manager claims they only replace bad stems when they damage them.
Anyway, My local Chevy dealer matched the stems to the system, and it took them all about 90 seconds.
They wouldn't take any compensation because My vehicle had been purchased new there during Oct. 2004.
I gave a tip to the tech anyway, for his help.

Had to go back to the tire shop some 4 times due to balance issues when driving on the interstate, and after I convinced them to re-calibrate their spin balance machine, the issues disappeared.
This is the reason that I bought My own spin balance machine back in 1997, however, I can no longer lift those sizable truck tires to the balance shaft, due to serious lower spinal issues.

BTW: Thanks to everyone for Your support!

#10 ·
It's nice to see some one stepped up to help. Even though as Coach mentioned they were just doing the right thing. This is just one more example why WalMart blows. I was driving back form Ohio on sunday and passed a truck that had a bumper sticker that said F**K WalMart. I want to get one of those so bad. That is one company that is killing the mom and pop stores. I will not go into that place because for one I do not speak the language of the majority of the employee's or the patrons.

#12 ·
A you are correct. So any dealer who sells that brand can get the warranty handled. Sadly some will avoid the time it takes to file the proper paperwork just to sell new tires.
My bro inlaw bought a set of Michlins from Sams with two that turned out to be out of round , his Sams membership lapsed and wouldn't help him ,went to a dealer and was told the type tire he had was made just for Walmart/Sams and not warranted by dealers. No more Wally World for me , bought a set of Bridgestones with road hazard when I had my Monte Carlo , mounted within an hour with no problem , a few months after that was told have to wait four hours to fix a flat , went across street to a tire store and fixed 20 min

#13 ·
went to a dealer and was told the type tire he had was made just for Walmart/Sams and not warranted by dealers.
This is common. Large discounters have enough financial clout to swing special deals that get the price points of items where the discounter wants them. Beware of Dell computers you see in Best Buy for the very same reason; the outer shell looks the same as other models but the internals are different ... again to get the price point down.

#14 ·
I always go to Les Schwab to get my tires, but I have heard that Costco does a good job.
As for Wallymart, I hate them and do very little business with them, but sometimes I don't have much choice, in Utah just about everything else is closed on Sunday.

#15 ·
It's nice to see some one stepped up to help. Even though as Coach mentioned they were just doing the right thing. This is just one more example why WalMart blows. I was driving back form Ohio on sunday and passed a truck that had a bumper sticker that said F**K WalMart. I want to get one of those so bad. That is one company that is killing the mom and pop stores. I will not go into that place because for one I do not speak the language of the majority of the employee's or the patrons.
AMEN, brother!

Don't shop at Walmart. They are the single largest cause for our manufacturing labor to be shipped outside our borders (mostly to China in Walmart's case). People want cheap stuff, and Walmart obliges that want. Full bore. What happens to the small sellers you trust and who take care of you on a personal basis? You know what happens, they can't compete with Darth Vader (Walmart). And our beloved manufacturers such as Levis and Lee have had to begrudgingly send their manufacturing to Mexico to compete. Even Carhart now. It breaks my heart, because we have labor here to do this work, and most of those people don't possess skill or education to do other types of work. So I guess I would like one of those bumper stickers too.

And like Moogvo said, I don't get groceries, hardware, tires, prescriptions, clothing, whatever, at one store. Bad idea. And tires I get only at a tire store.

Les Schwab has given me the best deals and best customer service. And great flat repair service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.