GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to increase hp on my 97 c1500 5.7L but not wanting to spend a whole lot on a college students budget. Right now the motor is stock just has an aftermarket exhaust. n what brand of shorties n high flow cats would go good with true dual flowmasters 40 series mufflers

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi, 97Prieto:

That mod will get you mostly sound and psychological power.

The only real way to increase power is to change the inside of the engine, as in a different camshaft or aftermarket heads. Other thing along with that if you don't care about cost of fuel is to mill the head/deck or change pistons to increase the compression ratio. It will require using higher octane fuel, however.

If you want to stick with exhaust, there are many good brands of headers for your truck. I like Edelbrock headers myself. Headman is another good brand. You won't get that much extra flow from a "high flow" catalytic converter, and if you really don't want to spend a lot because you are a student, definitely skip changing your catalytic converter. You also run the risk of getting caught changing the stock system catalytic converter configuration, which will cost you a whopping $10,000.00 fine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Real performance upgrades aren't cheap. Like stated before, "high flow" systems really aren't worth it. Same thing with cold air intakes and tb/carb spacers. If you're lookin for power, you should start working toward a 355 or a 383. Or forced induction. All cool, none cheap

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For $4800 delivered curbside
you can buy a Genuine GM Performance 383E STROKER- 340 HP 435 LB FT-
Waaaay more than stock.
It is drop in-except your stock transmission isn't rated for 435 ft lbs
$4800 plus maybe 40-80hr of work-plus renting a hoist-plus you need buddys to help pull it out-put it in
But this $4800+ another $100 for various fluids belts another $50 rent hoist-
WILL REALLY REALLY improve performance
Bolt on stuff-CAI HEADER EXHAUST- cost $1200-and other than more noise-you won't be able to tell it is faster

Now N2O will certainly improve performance-maybe $600-
but N2O -in my 1998 5.7 223,000 mile Suburban- might break my motor-might break yours too.

Save your money-get s stroker-with real warranty!!
Luck
Charlie

·
Registered
388 Posts
cool!
shortys are the best overall for our engines, but don't go dual exhaust or high flow catt. its a waste of money unless your going to put in a built 383 stroker.
if you have smog BS to worry about, you need to keep the same engine.

first things you can do for cheap will be easy.
NGK platinum plugs, MSD high power coil, 8mill wires. Electric fan (remove the mechanical/clutch fan), and get a K&N filter like this one.
60-1640.jpg
just be sure to get a "precharger" wrap for it like this
imagesCAAEMHIL.jpg
otherwise youll suck too much dust.

once you do all that, then you can decide on things like exhaust or beefy roller rockers to really let the engine breath.
but do those things first, and you'll gain close to 20 HP or so

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K15 Blazer guy my truck has fuel injection not carbureted. but thanks do u know anything about upgrading the spider fuel injectors

·
Registered
291 Posts
cool!
shortys are the best overall for our engines, but don't go dual exhaust or high flow catt. its a waste of money unless your going to put in a built 383 stroker.
if you have smog BS to worry about, you need to keep the same engine.

first things you can do for cheap will be easy.
NGK platinum plugs, MSD high power coil, 8mill wires. Electric fan (remove the mechanical/clutch fan), and get a K&N filter like this one.

just be sure to get a "precharger" wrap for it like this

otherwise youll suck too much dust.

once you do all that, then you can decide on things like exhaust or beefy roller rockers to really let the engine breath.
but do those things first, and you'll gain close to 20 HP or so
1. long tubes > shorties if you can get them to fit.
2. dual exhausts arent just for 383s. do you even know how you get a 383 CID? its a 350 with a crank from a 400. duals are good on 350s as well just as long as you have the correct back pressure.
3. Platinum plugs are going to add next to no HP. i ran coppers in my cammed 355 for about 6 months. switched to platinums and it felt no different.
4. hes probably already got 8mil wires and just because theyre 8mil doesnt mean ****. you dont have to worry about size of the wires, you need to worry about the ohms. according to ohms law, it takes one volt to push one amp through one ohm (less ohms = less resistance).
5. electric fans are more of a pain in the ass than anything else. like i posted on your thread, just get a mechanical fan that flattens out at higher rpm and you get a noticeable difference while keeping your cooling.
6. an open air filter helps breathe a little but, again, youre not going to really notice... theyre mostly just to look badass. and they really dont clog up so worrying about that extra filter (which is going to clog up just as fast and therefore block all air to your main filter) is rather asinine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea wouldnt be able to get long tube headers to fit without raising the truck n im not into raised trucks in this body style. do u know where i can get a fan that flattens out at higher rpm?

·
Registered
291 Posts
i bought mine for my 84 from jegs but last time i checked i couldnt find the damned thing. ill take a look around and see if i cant get somethin found for ya

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/1519/10002/-1

i like this one but heres the whole fan list from jegs

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&Ntk=all&Jnar=0&Ne=1+2+3+13+1147708&searchTerm=fan&searchType=MkMdlYrSearch&redirect=false&N=1573918&mkYEAR=1573680&mkMAKE=1573913&mkMODEL=1573918&mmySubSearch=on

just make sure youve got the right measurements and the right color. cool colors add hp :p
The only problem with these fans is some people have complained about them coming loose at the rivets but ive used 2 of them and neither had any problems

OH! and dont forget you may need a spacer! i think i needed a 1 1/2" for mine

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
GM Performance 383E is drop in and smog legal
In truth not exactly drop in since transmissions aren't rated for 435 lb ft
Best bang for buck in many respects
$4800 seems like a lot-but once you add up all the bolt ons
they can be $2000+ pretty easy-and they won't add 90 hp
Yes GM puts a 3.8" stroker crank(memory says 3.8" could be wrong)-guessing that is same as old 400 engine

·
Registered
388 Posts
for the tight budget person, (which is virtually everyone in comrade Obama's America)

upgrade the air intake, the ignition, the fan, the exhaust.
you already have a high flow muffler, so youll be fine.
oh, and put royal purple oil in the transmission and diff. it will make the truck much happier and its proven to add horse power to the wheels by cutting friction.

after the engine blows, or you know you want to drop in a replacement; then you can do things like headers, aluminum heads, and simple engine mods like porting, polishing, rocker arms, etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
...or you could save your money for an upgrade worth buying.

- - - Updated - - -

GM Performance 383E is drop in and smog legal
In truth not exactly drop in since transmissions aren't rated for 435 lb ft
Best bang for buck in many respects
$4800 seems like a lot-but once you add up all the bolt ons
they can be $2000+ pretty easy-and they won't add 90 hp
Yes GM puts a 3.8" stroker crank(memory says 3.8" could be wrong)-guessing that is same as old 400 engine
this is probably the best way to go. not necessarily a 383 but just a drop in performance engine, wether it be a 350 with forced induction, 355, 383, 454, or if you really want to be a badass, 496 (mmmm.....)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks n yea i was think in bout switching to synthetic oil but someone told me that it wasnt a good idea on a high mileage truck. n i think my trans is starting to go out cuz if i am driving it alot it begins to idk how to explain it but it feels like a pull when it changes from 1st to 2nd n kind 2nd to 3rd. if it does go out i want to change the gearing n get a smoother sift when i put my foot down what do u recommend.

- - - Updated - - -

also i hav seen some people cutting the diffuser of the butterfly plate what does this do n would it be o good idea to try it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah, certainly change the trans oil and filter. add more magnets to the pan as well. even drain the torque converter if you can.
but whatever you do, DO NOT "flush" the transmission. ever.

this is something you can do in your driveway for under $100. new gasket, new filter, more magnets, and royal purple oil will keep the trans going as long as possible, and free up a couple horses.
dropping the pan will also tell you how bad the transmission has worn. I highly recommend doing this with the diff cover as well, just to make sure its wearing well.
I wish I checked mine right after I bought it..... cause the carrier blew out one day... lol

for the engine, it does not matter what you run, cause you change it every 3-5K miles. I run 20w-50 cause its such a worn out V8....

-----
as for "cutting the diffuser of the butterfly plate"..... don't know what that is, but id say don't ever cut ANYTHING in or around your intake or throttle body.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
gotta agree with K15 Blazer-
cutting ANYTHING on the throttle plate-BAD IDEA.
The diffuser-sounds like something to diffuses the fuel-
SPREADS it out so maybe it evaporates and burns more readily
or even is more evenly distributed to the cylinders
Yeah-sounds like a MUST NOT DO to me.

My Suburban- 1998 in service since 2007-223,000 miles- I switched to 10w30 Mobil 1 extended service-instead of the 5w30 manual suggests- because it MUST have plenty of wear-doesn't use oil-gets great mpg-but lotta miles-so heavier oil.If I was certain it had more wear-say 10 psi oil pressure at idle
I would also go 20w50.

So you use Royal Purple Syn trans fluid-works well for you?? been 40000 miles 7 years since trans fluid changed-maybe better do it before trip??
Thanks
Charlie

PS In defense of Obama-gas was about $1.25 when George Bush 2 became president 2000- it spiked to $4.05 under President Bush in 2008-
and was only $1.85 when Obama became president because the economy was TANKED by greedy bankers who control BOTH PARTIES-GOLDMANN SACKS-both parties shill for Goldmann Sacks and their ilk!!

Not wanting a battle-but Obama isn't a bad president-economy is somewhat better than it was-still sucks-but sucks slightly less.Both parties are shills for folks who vacation in the Hamptons Martha's Vinyard have million dollar apartments in NYNY estates in CA Chalets in Vail Aspen-yeah greedy thieves that cream money off EVERY transaction done in the USA.
Both Obama and Bush shill for those thieves!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok sounds good n bout the butterfly plate there is a lip under it n supposedly by cutting this lip off u get better throttle response because he air flows in quicker that with it being their. n also i think cant remember for sure there is a company that sells the throttle body without this lip

- - - Updated - - -

n what kind of oil should i use my truck has bout 180,000 miles

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah, don't **** with it... the manifold is plastic...

getting rid of the mechanical fan has given me the best throttle response gains I have even felt. the engine no longer has to coil and throw that 5lb spring loaded piece of steel around the water pump...

use whatever oil you like. its your truck. these V8s get a personality to their driver.
I had to use 20w50 because the main owner used my truck as a tow pig. as a result, the bearings in the engine were so worn from hard torqueing, the oil PSI would drop to zero at idle.... so I need thicker oil to fill the clearance gaps and maintain good PSI
also probably why the carrier cracked.....

if you're maintaining good oil PSI, and even compression in each cly, just use whatever.
thicker oil will help to raise compression and oil PSI... but it will also rob a little bit of HP if you go TOO thick.
lighter tight clearance oils can free up horse power. but this isn't a 101 octane, high compression, 55cc head race engine, so don't worry about that lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts