GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from Joel at Carter GM and he said to me that GM would like to purchase my vehicle back with no catch at a price more than the market. I have ask if purchase is required and he said no. He said the deal is really with GM and Carter is just carrying out the instruction. I bought the car in for an assessment and the price I got was way below the black-book value and was also less than what I would get if I sold the vehicle as scrap metal. They offered $700 which I felt is an insult. I had the tire changed and the brake pad changed as well costing me over $1500. I told Carter what Joel said to me and that my tires and my brake pad and brake are all new. Robert the sales manager said he can see that. Robert said Joel works in the call center and has no authorization or say in the price being offered. He then went on if I purchase a vehicle from them they would offer me $1500 if I don't purchase then only $700. This is a joke and is a way for them to get people into the store to look at their vehicles. They told me the actually value of the vehicle is really worth $500. No-one will pay more then $500. My tires which I got at Costco a month ago was $135 each and the brake pad and the other new repair costed me $1500. I took my vehicle back and just drove away

They scam people into their car dealer to look at their use cars which lots of them have scratches or dents.

The salesman has quietly apologized to me.
But it seems like the Robert the sales manager pretends he has never heard of the blackbook which upset me.
The appraisal took about an hour. Total waste of time.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I got letter from Chevy dealer saying they have a shortage of used Chevy trucks and will give me top dollar for trade in for new with about the same or less monthly payment. Online Black Book appraisal is just to get you in to give you big sales pitch and on dealers call and mailing list.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I get a letter offering the same thing at least once a month.

This is not so much a scam as a sales tactic no different from most other promotions like when they offer to pay off your current car no matter how much you owe. In reality they will roll what you owe on your current car into the payments for your new one so now you are paying for two cars of which you only own one.

When it comes to cars one quote above all others should be adhered to, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Good point. People need to try to pay off their vehicles and not keep rolling in note after note. Should try to manage your debt levels when you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

This is different then the one where they ask you to trade in. The call I got from Joel at Carter GM said specifically that the deal has nothing to do with Carter GM but GM the headquarter wants to buy the vehicle back for slightly above market price. Joel also mentioned you do not have to buy anything.

When I got there its a total different story. Also I forgot to mention that GM is only interested in the 2001 Pontiac Montana with a specific VIN. But when I got to the dealer, Carter or the sales Manager Robert doesn't want to carry out the instruction of what Joel said about GM and buying back the vehicle. It seems like the transaction is only between Carter only. So I am basically scammed into believing I am going through a deal with GM the headquarter

·
Registered
656 Posts
Perhaps you should contact GM and see if they know anything about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts